The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 25th February) Will Casilla play with hand injury?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 25th February) Will Casilla play with hand injury?

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Tuesday 25th February, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Will hand injury keep Kiko sidelined?

Unsubstantiated rumours are doing the rounds on social media that Kiko Casilla picked up a hand injury during the 1-0 win over Reading last weekend. Although Bielsa is yet to confirm the injury, pictures of the former Real Madrid shot stopper have been released on social media showing the Spaniard with a wrist brace, and two fingers taped together.

Obviously this means that Casilla is not match fit, yet many assume that he picked up the injury in the first half. Meslier spent half time undergoing an extensive warm up, with coaches emerging from the tunnel with instructions; however Bielsa decided not to make the swap. We know that the the Frenchman has a clause in his contract that if he plays 10 first team games or more (and Leeds get promoted) the loan agreed becomes permanent, with a fee of just over 5m being agreed between the two clubs!

Will dead leg sideline Phillips

It has been confirmed that the injury Kelvin Phillips picked up last weekend against the Royals is not as serious as first thought. The 24 year old suffered a dead leg during a tussle midway through the first half. Although he tried to run it off, his restrictive moment caused Bielsa to bring him off. Former footballer, now pundit, Darren Bent explains that the injury, although painful is not too serious:-

Dead legs were always the worst, for the first day you’re thinking to yourself: ‘I can’t walk here, I’m never going to be able to play, I’m not going to be ready!’ After day two, if you go on the bike, it does ease up fairly quickly.

Obviously when you do first do it, you’re like: ‘That’s it, I’m out for a week, I can’t play with this.’ As you take your anti-inflammatories, get yourself moving, get on the bike, it does ease up. You’ve got to ice it, get it down.

Saints backed out of Adams transfer after deal agreed

Leeds United agreed a £19m deal to bring Che Adams to Elland Road in the January transfer window, only for Southampton to then change their minds. The news came from former player, now pundit Michael Brown who supposedly has close connections to Elland Road following his three year tenure in West Yorkshire. Leeds held extensive talks with the Premier League club about a loan-to-buy deal for Adams before Southampton blocked him moving last month following a late U-turn.

Che Adams was agreed, I think at £17m, then Southampton said, ‘can you increase that bid’?

Adams wanted to go [to Leeds], then the price went up £2m more. Leeds met that, it was agreed [at £19m], and then the Southampton manager stepped in and said, ‘Do you know what? I want to keep him’.

Adams had contributed to the team, the manager got stronger at Southampton, regarding their results, and Adams obviously stayed where he was so Leeds probably missed out on that nine that they wanted.

Last edited by Ellandback1 on Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 25th February) Will Casilla play with hand injury?

Post by Sara »

Good morning!

So relieved Phillips is ok. A serious injury there would really set us back.

Still keen to see more of Meslier. Looked like an 8ft tall midfielder in goal.

I don't doubt the club did all they could to sign Adams. As with James, other clubs can mess you about, and it's beyond your control.
Bigmallly
Ballboy
Ballboy

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 25th February) Will Casilla play with hand injury?

Post by Bigmallly »

Will hand injury keep Phillips sidelined?.........................................What? :lol: :lol: :lol:
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

I don't think Bielsa's the type to avoid playing anyone due to financial concerns. If Kiko felt well enough to play the rest of the game (and we should be grateful he did with the last minute save on Saturday) then whatever injury he has can't be too serious. The wrist brace is probably just a precaution. That said if he does have to make way for Meslier then I'm supremely confident in the young lad's ability to do the job.

Hopefully Kalvin's injury won't sideline him, last thing we need now is a hole in our best XI at this stage of the season.

Wouldn't surprise me if that Adams story was accurate. I hope we leather Southampton for it next season, though I do feel a bit sorry for the player himself. No doubt he would've wanted to be part of the Leeds story rather than languish on the Saints' bench for a couple of seasons before being flogged to Liverpool.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Bigmallly wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:11 am Will hand injury keep Phillips sidelined?.........................................What? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Welcome to the forum Bigmallly.
You spotted the deliberate mistake,.

You win a prize... :shock:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Still think Che is the player to get, just so much class and talent there...Has he played much since the end of Jan?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

faaip wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:16 am Still think Che is the player to get, just so much class and talent there...Has he played much since the end of Jan?
I agree. It would be nice to see a different face on the bench.. :-D
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

If I were promoted to Manager overnight (unlikely I know), with Phillips injured, and no other player able to do a good enough job in defensive midfield, I'd switch to a 4-4-2 formation, with Ayling / Costa overlapping on the left, and Dallas / Harrison doing the same on the right.

I rate shackleton, I know he's come back from injury, but that was 3 weeks ago. He's a young lad and should be naturally fit.

I don't see Bamford as a one man attacking machine, especially when he is outnumbered 5 to 1.

He needs somebody to feed off, and hopefully big Kev is the man.

Sod the backtracking unless its a set piece or corner, I want to see movement in the box.

I want to see both Costa and Harrison cut in from their wing position and have the option of a sideways pass to Hernandez / Shackleton, or overlapping run from Ayling and Dallas.

--------------------Meslier----------------------

Ayling------Cooper------White------Dallas

Costa - Hernandez- Shackleton-Harrison

------------Augustin------Bamford------------
hector

Post by hector »

but no place for Klich, probably the player of the season??
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:48 am If I were promoted to Manager overnight (unlikely I know), with Phillips injured, and no other player able to do a good enough job in defensive midfield, I'd switch to a 4-4-2 formation, with Ayling / Costa overlapping on the left, and Dallas / Harrison doing the same on the right.

I rate shackleton, I know he's come back from injury, but that was 3 weeks ago. He's a young lad and should be naturally fit.

I don't see Bamford as a one man attacking machine, especially when he is outnumbered 5 to 1.

He needs somebody to feed off, and hopefully big Kev is the man.

Sod the backtracking unless its a set piece or corner, I want to see movement in the box.

I want to see both Costa and Harrison cut in from their wing position and have the option of a sideways pass to Hernandez / Shackleton, or overlapping run from Ayling and Dallas.

--------------------Meslier----------------------

Ayling------Cooper------White------Dallas

Costa - Hernandez- Shackleton-Harrison

------------Augustin------Bamford------------

It's not in Bielsa or the majority of top coaches mentality to play 4-4-2 so won't happen

Leaving Klich out is a strange omission :shock:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

E&B likes gung ho, balls out football, there's no centre mid at all in that line up above so we're not winning anything in front of our defence and we're not bringing it out of defence easily. It's more of a 4-0-6 line up
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

If Kalvin rested for one game

Casilla

Dallas - Ayling - Cooper - Alioski

White

Costa - Klich - Harrison

Hernandez

Bamford

Augustin, Douglas, Casey, Meslier, Shackleton, Roberts, Gotts on the bench maybe
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

If you plan to play Ayling and Costa on the left and Dallas and Harrison on the right, then I'm glad that Bielsa is our coach ;)

Three deliberate errors in one thread, bit OTT ;)
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Who me?
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

hector wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:18 am but no place for Klich, probably the player of the season??
I do wonder about Klich, he is obviously one of our top performers but I would like to see how we went without him, as I think we could actually play Bamford in his place and have Big Kev up front. Roberts would do a decent job there too I reckon.

It is all about what roles each player has in the team. It is a balance thing.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Irish Ian wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:02 pm I do wonder about Klich, he is obviously one of our top performers but I would like to see how we went without him, as I think we could actually play Bamford in his place and have Big Kev up front. Roberts would do a decent job there too I reckon.

An interesting theory, they do share a few attributes and Bamford's capable of his fair share of running. Positional awareness may be an issue but no more so than for any other player in this versatile team. Perhaps once promotion is secured, if we have games to spare and nothing to lose, we'll see a bit of experimentation in the lineup.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Irish Ian wrote: I do wonder about Klich, he is obviously one of our top performers but I would like to see how we went without him, as I think we could actually play Bamford in his place and have Big Kev up front. Roberts would do a decent job there too I reckon.

Bielsa just said Klich on average covers 12 km per game and 1km of that is at full tilt sprint. pretty impressive

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

rab_rant wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:57 pm Bielsa just said Klich on average covers 12 km per game and 1km of that is at full tilt sprint. pretty impressive

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Very impressive Rab, he is also up to 82 consecutive games which surpasses Gordon Strachans epic run in the team.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Irish Ian wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:02 pm I do wonder about Klich, he is obviously one of our top performers but I would like to see how we went without him, as I think we could actually play Bamford in his place and have Big Kev up front. Roberts would do a decent job there too I reckon.

Now you're just winding me up deliberately ...No fair. :x
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

faaip wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:05 pm Now you're just winding me up deliberately ...No fair. :x
I beg your parsnips?
'