The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 27th February) Klich sinks Boro as Leeds win three in a row

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 27th February) Klich sinks Boro as Leeds win three in a row

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. Its Thursday 27th February, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Klich sinks Boro

Mateusz Klich's first half injury time winner, (in off the post) sent 4,500 Leeds fans wild with jubilation as the Whites condemned Jonathan Woodgate's Boro to their third defeat in a row. Only goal difference is keeping the Smoggo's away from the drop zone following Wigan's 3-0 demolition of Reading at the Madejski Stadium last night. Boro are without a win since New Years Day.

The hard fought victory at the Riverside Stadium means Leeds retain their 5 point cushion against Fulham (who scored an injury time winner against Swansea City). Although wearing a wrist brace, and having two of his fingers tapped together, Kiko Casilla made the starting line up. Fortunately for Leeds, the 33 year old shot stopper was very rarely called upon to make any saves.

The same could not be said of Kelvin Phillips who is still struggling having sustained a dead leg during last weekends match against Reading. Rumour has it that Bielsa was so distraught at having to change his starting line up that he appealed to the FA to see if Phillips could take to the field in a wheel chair, being pushed by Alioski - but the FA were not keen! Fortunately for the Whites, Phillips replacement, Berardi was an absolute inspiration with an almost faultless performance.

The same could not be said of talisman Pablo Hernandez. The inspirational soon to be 35 year old lost possession last night 27 times! Apart from his moment of magic last weekend, the former Swansea man desperately needs a rest! He can't perform at the level he can, week in, week out at his age!

Leeds could, and should have extended their lead; only poor finishing left Boro with a glimmer of a chance to get something out of the game. Many will continue to point the finger at Patrick Bamford who not only should have added to his tally, but intercepted what would have been a Shotton own goal straight into the thankful hands of Stephen Pears. Unfortunately £20m loan signing Jean-Kevin Augustin was omitted from the bench yesterday! This follows no pitch time last weekend against Reading. Suddenly big Kev has a hamstring strain that will also keep him out of Saturdays crunch game against Hull.

Bielsa's post match interview

Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 27th February) Klich sinks Boro

Post by Ratscoot »

Hard fought win and an okay overall team performance. Klich IMO was the MOTM not only for his goal but his overall performance.

To all the Bamford haters did you not see that beautiful cushioned header back to the keeper, his panic as he was closing in on goal to pass it sideways, luckily Pablo was there and we went on to score and finally that certain goal he not only cleared off the line but managed to drop the ball into the keepers hands amazing piece of play. Rumour has it the Smoggies carried him above their heads into their changing room, cheering his name as if it hadn’t been for him it would have been 3 nil at least :roll:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning folks.

Three wins on the bounce is just what the doctor ordered. Playing poorly and winning is promotion form.
Great to see midfield contribute with a couple of goals of late. Clean sheet too.

Pablo needs a rest, teams know if they stop Pablo they stop Leeds, he gets swarmed some weeks and it must take its toll. Maybe he needs to speak directly to the boss and tell him he needs a rest. Shacks in for him at Hull would make sense.
Paddy, just watched the miss, funny one, hard to control, hard to read, but nothing is happening for him in front of goal.

Berardi, played well alongside Coop. Back line looking more solid these days. Will we keep out Big Mitro? He sems to be getting taller and wider as the season goes on. His header last night was a cracker.

Big Kev, last time I got tickets ( Blackburn) I had hoped to see Nketiah, then that mystery injury manifested itself. This time I have tickets, Huddersfield and Fulham, and Kev goes down. I had hoped that by these games he would have began his run in the side and would be contributing something up front.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Ridiculous the amount of stick PB is getting yet again. Some people really have no grasp of football. His header in the first half was from a curled cross that had little pace on it. As such PB had to generate the power as well as place it. Certainly not as easy a chance as some would suggest. The chance near the end, which wasn't even a chance due to the defender getting a touch and deflecting it onto PB's leg, is typical of what happens when a striker is in a rut. If he was banging them in then the defender probably deflects it onto him and it goes in or the defender fails to get a touch.
Doire_Boi
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Doire_Boi »

weasel wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:15 am Ridiculous the amount of stick PB is getting yet again. Some people really have no grasp of football. His header in the first half was from a curled cross that had little pace on it. As such PB had to generate the power as well as place it. Certainly not as easy a chance as some would suggest. The chance near the end, which wasn't even a chance due to the defender getting a touch and deflecting it onto PB's leg, is typical of what happens when a striker is in a rut. If he was banging them in then the defender probably deflects it onto him and it goes in or the defender fails to get a touch.
He also could have passed it to costa near the end instead of ballooning one into row z.

The only thing he has to offer is front post corner clearances and work rate (chase a ball). He can;t even hold the ball up any more.

Dallas was my MOTM last night.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 27th February) Klich sinks Boro as Leeds win three in a row

Post by mothbanquet »

Wasn't in a position to watch the game last night but I think we're going to repeat the pattern in the first half of the season by building up confidence with 1-2 goal victories and start smashing teams in the last half dozen games. My relief at a third consecutive clean sheet is unfathomable. Attack wins games, defence wins titles as they say and while Brom may or may not stay on top till the end, autos are the real prize.

Re: Bamford, so long as we keep winning games I'll hold back on obvious criticism. I've made my own thoughts on him clear but once we're promoted it'll be a whole different ball game. Let's focus on the good, get behind the team and continue this march to promotion.
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

weasel wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:15 am Ridiculous the amount of stick PB is getting yet again. Some people really have no grasp of football. His header in the first half was from a curled cross that had little pace on it. As such PB had to generate the power as well as place it. Certainly not as easy a chance as some would suggest. The chance near the end, which wasn't even a chance due to the defender getting a touch and deflecting it onto PB's leg, is typical of what happens when a striker is in a rut. If he was banging them in then the defender probably deflects it onto him and it goes in or the defender fails to get a touch.
What's ridiculous is a striker who has scored 2 tap ins in our last 12 games! No matter what else he does for the team his first job is to score goals and at the moment he dosnt look like he can do that.
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 27th February) Klich sinks Boro as Leeds win three in a row

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Good win, a few rose tinted glasses as usual. Liverpool have Salah, firmino and Mane we have Curly, Larry and Mo. :(. Wanting to over play again within 20 of the opponents goal.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:09 am Liverpool have Salah, firmino and Mane we have Curly, Larry and Mo. :(.
....are you serious?
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Yes, it's hardly our goal scoring exploits keeping us near the top is it, Talk sports ratings probably bang on. Quality of the football in general better than its been for a few years. Our ability to overplay near the opposition area is still second to none. If we're good I will say so if poor the same, I'm not going to blow smoke up the players arses though. 3 points and move on to hopefully another 3 Saturday.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Methinks you doth protest too much..Think I'm ok to say that.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Ratscoot wrote:Hard fought win and an okay overall team performance. Klich IMO was the MOTM not only for his goal but his overall performance.

To all the Bamford haters did you not see that beautiful cushioned header back to the keeper, his panic as he was closing in on goal to pass it sideways, luckily Pablo was there and we went on to score and finally that certain goal he not only cleared off the line but managed to drop the ball into the keepers hands amazing piece of play. Rumour has it the Smoggies carried him above their heads into their changing room, cheering his name as if it hadn’t been for him it would have been 3 nil at least :roll:
Pmsl Image

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

WhiteRose wrote: What's ridiculous is a striker who has scored 2 tap ins in our last 12 games! No matter what else he does for the team his first job is to score goals and at the moment he dosnt look like he can do that.
Well I'm glad you said that, I thought it was only me who thought the same but hey...we concede less when he plays so all's well.

BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote:Yes, it's hardly our goal scoring exploits keeping us near the top is it, Talk sports ratings probably bang on. Quality of the football in general better than its been for a few years. Our ability to overplay near the opposition area is still second to none. If we're good I will say so if poor the same, I'm not going to blow smoke up the players arses though. 3 points and move on to hopefully another 3 Saturday.
Well said.

BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

faaip wrote: Methinks you doth protest too much..Think I'm ok to say that.
Jury's out.

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I am not saying Bamford's goal scoring record is good, we all know it should be better just saying that the negative reaction was over the top, a bit like one of PB's shots before someone else says it. It wasn't like he missed a load of chances, a tricky header, a ball that was kicked onto his leg and a chance near the end where he tried to lash it home with the knowledge that if he missed the target it would at least waste a good bit of time.
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

weasel wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:59 pm I am not saying Bamford's goal scoring record is good, we all know it should be better just saying that the negative reaction was over the top, a bit like one of PB's shots before someone else says it. It wasn't like he missed a load of chances, a tricky header, a ball that was kicked onto his leg and a chance near the end where he tried to lash it home with the knowledge that if he missed the target it would at least waste a good bit of time.
It's fair, he didn't have many decent chances last night. It's easy to get frustrated when you see the same issue over and over again but I always support the team and cherish all our players, Bamfords a good lad and his effort,commitment and endevour cant be faulted I just hope he can find his finishing touch again hopefully starting saturday.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

WhiteRose wrote:

It's fair, he didn't have many decent chances last night. It's easy to get frustrated when you see the same issue over and over again but I always support the team and cherish all our players, Bamfords a good lad and his effort,commitment and endevour cant be faulted I just hope he can find his finishing touch again hopefully starting saturday.
Cracking post WR - I love your pov