Coronavirus

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
rab_rant

Re: Coronavirus

Post by rab_rant »

Can somebody explain to me the panic buying of toilet paper and people fighting each other in supermarkets over loo rolls?
It is mass hysteria.
https://youtu.be/GVHYTdGUAZM

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Had a bloody cold since Christmas and still got the cough, how you supposed to know you have it. I go on a hifi site occasionally and all the old boys are panic stricken, personally if I get it have had I'll either be here or not although I don't suppose I'm in an at risk category. I have in the past done a few asthma trials consisting of bronchoscopy I asked if others put themselves forward or just complain about the NHS and just like the payback. No replies funnily.
Last edited by Mick Jones shoulder on Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Aching joints would be a big indicator...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Proper flu then, only ever had it once wasn't pleasant.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

That an an overwhelming desire to get sixpence back on your empties
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

😂
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Nottingham Forest players and staff have tested negative for coronavirus after Greek owner Evangelos Marinakis returned a positive result.

Marinakis, 52, was at the City Ground for Forest's Championship fixture against Millwall last Friday.

He revealed on Tuesday he had contracted the virus, prompting Forest to arrange tests for their entire team and those who came in contact with him.

It is not yet known if Saturday's game at Sheffield Wednesday will go ahead.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51837867
LUFC_BOS
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by LUFC_BOS »

It looks like US has stopped travel from Europe. UK and Ireland are exempt. More so, they gave suspended the NBA season!

I am sure other sports will follow. I hope this does not impact our season

Fingers crossed !
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Finding a solution to sports seasons and championships is going to be another conundrum of CoronaVirus (as a Brit I cannot use CV for obvious reasons whereas the US uses 'Resume' instead of 'Curriculum Vitae'). Personally I think the whole thing has been blown out of all proportion, but then I never had the 'Spanish Flu' either.

We are at the whim of others.
leedsmad
First Team
First Team

Post by leedsmad »

The World's gone stupid over this , it's people with a lack of knowledge just being sucked in by the Media hence all the panic . What about the silent Killer influenza ? during the 2019 Influenza Season we had 35,000 Deaths Worldwide and nothing was even brought up . We also had the SAR's and MERS .
My job is in the Health Industry and i'm part of the Ressus Trauma team in Critical Care, we have had that many people come to triage themselves over a cough or Flu like symptoms the past Month , we have certain criteria questions that if they don't meet the Coronavirus criteria...they get swabbed and sent home , none of them has tested positive for the Cornonavirus.
I don't agree with the empty Stadium thing just my thoughts.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

leedsmad wrote:

The World's gone stupid over this , it's people with a lack of knowledge just being sucked in by the Media hence all the panic . What about the silent Killer influenza ? during the 2019 Influenza Season we had 35,000 Deaths Worldwide and nothing was even brought up . We also had the SAR's and MERS .
My job is in the Health Industry and i'm part of the Ressus Trauma team in Critical Care, we have had that many people come to triage themselves over a cough or Flu like symptoms the past Month , we have certain criteria questions that if they don't meet the Coronavirus criteria...they get swabbed and sent home , none of them has tested positive for the Cornonavirus.
I don't agree with the empty Stadium thing just my thoughts.
100% leedsmad - a voice of reason :tup:
leedsmad
First Team
First Team

Post by leedsmad »

radebe88 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:44 am I personally don't think its stupid to take necessary precautions to protect human life. Influenza has been bought up almost every time I watch the news or go online and seems to be the main comparison. The problem we face is how little we know about Coronavirus and how quickly it is spreading. Seasonal Influenza has a death rate of around 0.1% mainly because we know how to medicate, Coronavirus is currently around 3-4%. When you consider the number you gave of 35,000 deaths in influenza season 2019 and how much more deadly the Coronavirus is at this stage I don't think its unreasonable for people to be concerned. Ill let you do the maths.

The other thing to consider is whether you want to be so casual and irresponsible to risk infecting loved ones that my die from the virus. Me, my wife and children could catch the virus and show very little symptoms and then unknowingly pass them to a family member with asthma or underlying issues and it could be the worse.

I do feel (and i hope im wrong), there will be a lot of "this aged well" memes online from peoples playing this down,.
Nothing to do with being Casual , there is so many things that can potentially be harmful, Measels killed nearly 80,000 people last year but if you feel that way we'd all be living in a Cave.

You said it yourself that it can be caught with some people showing little affect and not knowing they have it , so does that mean we stop with our daily routines and jobs ? I won't go to work cause I work in a hospital and could catch it? Kids stop going to school cause they can Catch it? What about getting the weekly groceries?

Anyway your free with your thoughts and how you approach it but nothing to do with being Casual about it , I've seen it all in my line of work.
LevLeeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Twitter: @Simonlev99

Post by LevLeeds »

3 Leicester players tested positive. This is gonna have a big impact on how the FA and EFL deal with this situation. Understand behind closed doors but if the players or falling down with it,,, who to say whats gonna happen?!? Postpone the league? Surely not though?!?!?!
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

LevLeeds wrote:3 Leicester players tested positive. This is gonna have a big impact on how the FA and EFL deal with this situation. Understand behind closed doors but if the players or falling down with it,,, who to say whats gonna happen?!? Postpone the league? Surely not though?!?!?!
I reckon it's a possibility should it get much worse .

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Postponing the League makes more sense than playing behind closed doors.

Also it woukd allow JKA to get a "pre season" in...
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

We're gonna need a bigger squad....

Jaws 1975
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

I think postponing the league would be the worst. We've just got a good run of form going. If it's going to go tits up, end it now with the current positions taken as final.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

faaip wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:43 pm We're gonna need a bigger squad....

Jaws 1975
Boris is due out any minute for a presser.

Cue the fingernails down the blackboard
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
gessa

Post by gessa »

Looking like the football authorities can'tagree on a solution

There are "tensions" between the EFL and Premier League over how to respond to the coronavirus outbreak, the BBC understands.

It comes after an apparent 'crisis plan' to play all remaining matches in English football behind closed doors was revealed by the Times newspaper.

The Premier League has declined to comment, but has distanced itself from the report.

The government is expected to announce on Thursday that it is stepping up its response to coronavirus.

There are now more than 450 confirmed cases in the UK and it is anticipated the government will switch to tactics aimed at delaying its spread, rather than containing it.

Delay is where "social distancing" measures will be considered - which could include restrictions on public gatherings above a certain number of people, though this is not thought to be likely at this stage.

La Liga suspended as Real Madrid players in quarantine
Bosnia ask Uefa to postpone Northern Ireland game
Timeline: How has coronavirus impacted sport?
The EFL is to seek clarity from the Premier League over what appears to be a proposed contingency plan.

The emergence of the plan took both the EFL and the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport committee (DCMS) by surprise, and does not appear to have been approved by the government.

One senior EFL source described the leak as "unhelpful".

"There are now tensions between the two leagues, and even between clubs over how to handle this," they said.

According to the source, who wishes to remain anonymous, the EFL had also been taken aback by the Premier League's decision to ban pre-match handshakes and the cancellation of the Manchester City-Arsenal Premier League match on Wednesday.

That game was postponed as a "precautionary measure" with several Arsenal players in self-isolation.

Sports bodies were asked by senior DCMS officials at a meeting on Monday to not break ranks or announce unilateral policies.

EFL clubs are understood to be strongly opposed to playing matches behind closed doors because of the financial cost of a loss of matchday revenue. They retain hope that their seasons can be completed.

Officials at the Premier League believe playing behind closed doors is now inevitable.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

I was in London Tuesday and Wednesday, train down wasn’t as busy as normal and most of the places I went seemed quiet compared to normal, even the pubs!

Wednesday morning got the tube at 09.02 only saw about 6 people on the train heading to KingsX I’ve never known that, KingsX and the surrounding area was quieter than a Sunday and the trains back to the beautiful north were all half empty.
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't