Coronavirus

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Coronavirus

Post by 1964white »

Very concerning indeed!

Already major sporting events have been cancelled, now talk of football matches being affected.

What would be the scenario if the authorities implemented cancellation of all football & sporting events?

Would the remainder of this seasons leagues be played at a later date or voided completely

Now that would be typical just as Leeds are heading to the premiership :(

It doesn't bear thinking about or am I just being paranoid :chair:
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Sara »

I must admit I'm bored of hearing about it already, and am boycotting Radio 4 on that basis. Why are these things always so overdramatised!
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

1964white wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:01 pm Very concerning indeed!

Already major sporting events have been cancelled, now talk of football matches being affected.

What would be the scenario if the authorities implemented cancellation of all football & sporting events?

Would the remainder of this seasons leagues be played at a later date or voided completely

Now that would be typical just as Leeds are heading to the premiership :(

It doesn't bear thinking about or am I just being paranoid :chair:
You know what 64, I almost posted something along these lines last week but decided I was just being paranoid.
I bet its a scenario that has never even been considered by the FA and therefore theres nothing in the rules about it.
If leagues don't get concluded due to unplayed matches and they decide to promote or relegate teams based on where they are at the time the matches were stopped, there will be hell to pay.
Surely it wont come to that, will it?
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

It would certainly be a big mess if this happened the FA would have legal challenges coming out of their ears from any clubs adversely affected should they try to void the season, especially given its nearly 80% done. I can't imagine radz just accepting it. If the rest of the games were cancelled then the only fair way to settle it in my opinion would be to award every team their average league position for the season. Any teams finishing in the playoffs could still play their games in May as normal if the situation is resolved.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Probably play the games but limit the attendance.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:52 pm Probably play the games but limit the attendance.
I was thinking a behind closed doors scenario Ian
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:19 pm You know what 64, I almost posted something along these lines last week but decided I was just being paranoid.
I bet its a scenario that has never even been considered by the FA and therefore there's nothing in the rules about it.
If leagues don't get concluded due to unplayed matches and they decide to promote or relegate teams based on where they are at the time the matches were stopped, there will be hell to pay.
Surely it wont come to that, will it?
I sincerely hope not!
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

It had better not. Would be just my luck to wait over 45 years to attend my first game and then have this happen.

I asked myself if attending a game was worth courting death (or at least a few days of extreme discomfort), and the answer was an unequivocal yes.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I would have thought that there would be some rule in place that if a set % of matches had been completed then the league season would be counted even if not finished (sort of like if a match reaches a certain length of time the result can stand). The only scenario where it would cause issue would be if teams hadn't played as many matches as others but nowadays we don't ever really see cases like we used to where one team could have played 3 or 4 less matches than another team.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

1964white wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:10 pm I was thinking a behind closed doors scenario Ian
Yes,

After Hudderfield match I am back over doing a double header Fulham midweek then down with my wendies mates at Illsboro as they try and take points of the baggies.

Obviously public health is paramount but I hope I get to these two games!

Overall though we coukd see all you season ticket holders getting free LUTV passes.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white

Post by 1964white »

John in Louisiana wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:29 pm It had better not. Would be just my luck to wait over 45 years to attend my first game and then have this happen.

I asked myself if attending a game was worth courting death (or at least a few days of extreme discomfort), and the answer was an unequivocal yes.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you John as I know how much this special unique game means to you
Denman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Denman »

My money would be on playing any remaining games behind closed doors.

I’m off to the Cheltenham Festival next week, not missed a day since 1983 except for the foot & mouth crisis in 2001 (I think that was the year). Punchestown Festival too in April. All very worrying, though I actually don’t think football will suffer too much because playing behind closed doors is doable even if it’s disappointing for the fans.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Denman wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:04 pm My money would be on playing any remaining games behind closed doors.

I’m off to the Cheltenham Festival next week, not missed a day since 1983 except for the foot & mouth crisis in 2001 (I think that was the year). Punchestown Festival too in April. All very worrying, though I actually don’t think football will suffer too much because playing behind closed doors is doable even if it’s disappointing for the fans.
You lucky man :hors: hence your username
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

The Buttsman on the Coronavirus
https://youtu.be/1Wd0Fxims1A

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

gessa

Post by gessa »

Denman wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:04 pm My money would be on playing any remaining games behind closed doors.

I'll be there as usual on the Wednesday. Think you're correct with it being 2001
Denman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Denman »

1964white wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:07 pm You lucky man :hors: hence your username
Indeed sir. Denman getting the better of Kauto Star in the Gold Cup was a great day. Then again every day at the Festival is a memory made. Win or lose. The drinks flow, and friends meet up but once a year as a hearty time is had by all.

I can’t wait.
Denman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Denman »

gessa wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:32 pm I'll be there as usual on the Wednesday. Think you're correct with it being 2001
Nice one. Good luck on the punting front.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Denman wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:00 pm Nice one. Good luck on the punting front.
You too mate.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Denman wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:58 pm Indeed sir. Denman getting the better of Kauto Star in the Gold Cup was a great day. Then again every day at the Festival is a memory made. Win or lose. The drinks flow, and friends meet up but once a year as a hearty time is had by all.

I can’t wait.
The Cheltenham Festival is my favourite sporting event of the year, nothing comes close imo!

No doubt I'll be making comments as the races unfold on our horse racing tipping topic. Hopefully I can pick out several goodies, I can't see me beating 2019's haul of winners but I'll be giving it a go!

Enjoy your time in the Cotswolds Denman :horse:
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

SaraM » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:11 am

I must admit I'm bored of hearing about it already, and am boycotting Radio 4 on that basis. Why are these things always so overdramatised!
Because we let them so be! The viewing figures for any situation are probably falsified by whatever agency 'estimates' them, plus no news agency is ever going to underestimate the truly staggering value of exaggeration.