Coronavirus

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Sara »

Overman wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:13 pm Well done Peter, good citizen work!
Good citizens hold their government to account, otherwise we don't have a democracy.
Broad Ford
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Broad Ford »

Peter in Blackpool wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:49 am Rules made by a democratically elected government have to be obeyed no matter what the subject and no matter what you personally feel about it.
During periods of conflict and war government has the right to suspend democracy, effectively turning their tenure into a military style junta. General elections can be and have been suspended, secret sessions have been held and emergency powers vested in the governments interests.

Some choose to obey such a government, some choose to make a stand and resist.
Hey you, out there on the road
Always doing what you're told
Can you help me?
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

weasel wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:32 am New deaths do not neccesarily equate to new deaths from Cornona. Given that the average age of 'covid related' deaths in the majority of countries is 85 years old then the isolated figure doesn't take into account how many of the suppossed extra deaths would have happened anyway. It may come as shock but as people get older they are more at risk of dying from any number of reasons. As I stated the annual variance in death rates goes up and down so to simply claim 200,000 extra deaths doesn't simply mean these people died solely through coronavirus. Given that many people are too frightened to risk seeing their doctor or going into hospitals as they don't want to catch Covid then many extra deaths are happening that aren't covid deaths.

Still it doesn't matter as you have your head buried in the sand and it wouldn't matter what anyone told you.
"Still it doesn't matter as you have your head buried in the sand and it wouldn't matter what anyone told you"
You don't see the irony of that statement!

"to simply claim 200,000 extra deaths doesn't simply mean these people died solely through coronavirus. "
We are not saying that.
Some people who get Covid-19 are dying, Just because some of them had a heart condition or asthma or were over weight etc, does not negate the fact that they died because they contracted Covid-19. Most of those with pre existing conditions would still be living with those conditions had they not got Covid-19.
Regarding your death rate statistics, I did some research and I found studies (published in 2019) explaining reasons for the increase in the death rate in the USA. Suicides, Homicides and a drug overdoses particularly a huge increase in Opoid deaths. A 25% increase in the 18=44 age range which is not a small number.

I know you will probably "Still it doesn't matter as you have your head buried in the sand and it wouldn't matter what anyone told you" live up to your words but I will draw your attention again to the article published by the NY Times in August.

New York Times August 12th 2020
Across the United States, at least 200,000 more people have died than usual since March, according to a New York Times analysis of estimates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. This is about 60,000 higher than the number of deaths that have been directly linked to the coronavirus.

So 200,000 more people than usual died and 60,000 of them were NOT ATTRIBUTED to Covid-19. They recognize that the number of non-Covid deaths is increasing as you pointed out
I also read on the John Hopkins web site that they have determined that that the death rate from Covid-19 is 6 times that of the seasonal flu. I don't believe that they excluded people with other health issues from that comparison. I think they just checked if they were alive before getting Covid or the flu and if they were dead later.
Peter in Blackpool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Peter in Blackpool »

SaraM wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:26 pm Good citizens hold their government to account, otherwise we don't have a democracy.
quite agree, but in the meantime we need to conform to the law of the land whether we agree with the law or not.

I have a powerful car that i believe could easily travel at 100 mph on the motorway perfectly safely....but i still have to conform to 70 mph whether i like it or not.

So if the government creates a law stopping us from visiting our friends, we can hold the government to account, but still have to obey the law whether we agree with it or not....after all we elect a government to err govern
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Peter in Blackpool wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:23 pm quite agree, but in the meantime we need to conform to the law of the land whether we agree with the law or not.

I have a powerful car that i believe could easily travel at 100 mph on the motorway perfectly safely....but i still have to conform to 70 mph whether i like it or not.

So if the government creates a law stopping us from visiting our friends, we can hold the government to account, but still have to obey the law whether we agree with it or not....after all we elect a government to err govern
I don't know why you keep repeating the same point, I've already told you I am not breaking any of the rules. It's tedious and unnecessary, and exactly what you did before. I have already asked you once to stop, and I am now asking you again.

I am not convinced that the situation requires the suspension of democracy that we have currently, and neither are many far better legal minds than mine.

Parliament will be debating the repeal of the Coronavirus Act next week; hopefully we will see and end to the government by ministerial diktat which is currently in force. If anyone wishes to contact their MP about this, there is more information below:

https://bigbrotherwatch.org.uk/
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

SaraM wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:04 pm I don't know why you keep repeating the same point, I've already told you I am not breaking any of the rules. It's tedious and unnecessary, and exactly what you did before. I have already asked you once to stop, and I am now asking you again.

I am not convinced that the situation requires the suspension of democracy that we have currently, and neither are many far better legal minds than mine.

Parliament will be debating the repeal of the Coronavirus Act next week; hopefully we will see and end to the government by ministerial diktat which is currently in force. If anyone wishes to contact their MP about this, there is more information below:

Worrying times indeed and not purely in reference to the virus, but the means employed to control it. If feels like a global neurosis at the moment. There's plenty of fear, death anxiety, mistrust and control. We need to protect the vulnerable, but the response is absurd and arbitrary at times.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Sara states...
I don't know why you keep repeating the same point, I've already told you I am not breaking any of the rules
Yet you expect other's too?... If you are complying yet disagree so vehemently why?... Could it be due to your pre existing condition Sara?
and goe's on...
How can you possibly compare a legal mind to a medical mind at this time?...And the "suspension of Democracy" statement you make is ludicrous and laughable ... As much as you hate him, Boris HAD IT and was in intensive care he is one who knows what the effects can be like to live with.
Parliament will be debating the repeal of the Coronavirus Act next week; hopefully we will see and end to the government by ministerial diktat which is currently in force
Should that happen, will that satisfy your need to prove the Government wrong? Whilst still obeying the rules due to your pre existing conditions?... Or will the reversal of that act somehow miraculously protect you from the virus?
Overman states...
We need to protect the vulnerable, but the response is absurd and arbitrary at times
So the answer is refuse to follow direction from those elected, because "we know better"

I will say it again, as have other's... I truly despair at what I am reading regarding this pandemic.

Stay safe all...
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

Smudge3920 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:32 am
So the answer is refuse to follow direction from those elected, because "we know better"
I will say it again, as have other's... I truly despair at what I am reading regarding this pandemic.
Here in the USA most of our "we know better" people seem to be right wing Trump followers.

Reading the comments of the "we know better"people on here, (not just regarding Covid-19), I would be willing to bet that they don't agree with very much our beloved president represents.

Just thought it was an interesting observation.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

BobHirst wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:27 am Here in the USA most of our "we know better" people seem to be right wing Trump followers.

Reading the comments of the "we know better"people on here, (not just regarding Covid-19), I would be willing to bet that they don't agree with very much our beloved president represents.

Just thought it was an interesting observation.
Bob mate, I truly despair for you guys at the moment, the pandemic is bad enough, but to have Trump as Pres, I have always stood by and believed that we (UK/US really did have a special relationship) to see one man being allowed to destroy all the US has built over the years.. but he is just a front mouth piece (imo) the majority of the republican party should be hanging their heads in shame allowing him to progress like this...I also believe he has no intention of relinquishing the office...and if he does (by a miracle) win it fairly God help not only the US in the next 4 years but the rest of the world.

Stay safe mate.
Peter in Blackpool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Peter in Blackpool »

SaraM wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:04 pm I don't know why you keep repeating the same point, I've already told you I am not breaking any of the rules. It's tedious and unnecessary, and exactly what you did before. I have already asked you once to stop, and I am now asking you again.

At no point have I accused you of breaking rules, I would not be so presumptious, only you can say whether or not you are breaking rules.

You cannot post your viewpoints on an open forum and then ask those who would challenge that viewpoint to stop.

Suspension of democracy? I seem to remember a general election which democratically elected the conservative party as led by boris johnson. Just because the outcome was contrary to what you wanted does not mean democracy has been suspended. Should you post things like that then do not be surprised if others challenge it......you truly want me to stop? then stop posting such ridiculous statements.

The last time democracy was suspended was in 1940 when general election was cancelled due to ww2, unless you count johnson's unsuccessful attempt to prorogue parliament last year
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

The powers granted by the Coronavirus Act are themselves draconian and antidemocratic, which is rather the point:

Forced detention and isolation, forced taking of biological samples, no clear access to legal rights once detained, state surveillance safeguards weakened, protections from forced detainment and treatment under the mental health act weakened, local elections suspended. Add to that the censorship of critical views on social media, and the widespread shaming of protesters and dissenters.

The Coronavirus Act was originally instituted for two years; the amendment to review every six months was only gained through campaigning. Ultimately it needs to be challenged through the courts, but in the meantime I will defend the right to speak against it.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with party politics. For what it's worth I actually give the government more credit than most for trying to follow a balanced path, but the present Act is an overreach.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Peter in Blackpool wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:15 am You cannot post your viewpoints on an open forum and then ask those who would challenge that viewpoint to stop.......you truly want me to stop? then stop posting such ridiculous statements.
You are not 'challenging my viewpoint', you are lecturing me from your presumed standpoint of authority.

There is only one adequate response to such behaviour, which I am not allowed to give on this form.
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

Smudge3920 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:32 am Yet you expect other's too?... If you are complying yet disagree so vehemently why?... Could it be due to your pre existing condition Sara?

How can you possibly compare a legal mind to a medical mind at this time?...And the "suspension of Democracy" statement you make is ludicrous and laughable ... As much as you hate him, Boris HAD IT and was in intensive care he is one who knows what the effects can be like to live with.

Should that happen, will that satisfy your need to prove the Government wrong? Whilst still obeying the rules due to your pre existing conditions?... Or will the reversal of that act somehow miraculously protect you from the virus?

Stay safe all...
Despair all you want if it helps. It will have very little impact on the choices that people make.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Overman wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:02 pm Despair all you want if it helps. It will have very little impact on the choices that people make.
Oh very good, overman... another enlightening response ... :lol:
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

SaraM wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:12 am The powers granted by the Coronavirus Act are themselves draconian and antidemocratic, which is rather the point:

Forced detention and isolation, forced taking of biological samples, no clear access to legal rights once detained, state surveillance safeguards weakened, protections from forced detainment and treatment under the mental health act weakened, local elections suspended. Add to that the censorship of critical views on social media, and the widespread shaming of protesters and dissenters.

The Coronavirus Act was originally instituted for two years; the amendment to review every six months was only gained through campaigning. Ultimately it needs to be challenged through the courts, but in the meantime I will defend the right to speak against it.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with party politics. For what it's worth I actually give the government more credit than most for trying to follow a balanced path, but the present Act is an overreach.

A very "Trumponian" response...(imo) albeit a liberal border line far left one (again, imo). But exactly the same strategically and tactically... Use of the 4D's, keep repeating your line, whilst ignoring the question's put to you in discussion, and claiming you give more...
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Worryingly Covid is rising significantly around the world in USA, Canada, Mexico Brazil, India, Madagascar & Papua New Guinea.

In Zimbabwe prisoners released to ease the burden

3 million fatalities reported to date
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Hopefully we have turned the corner here in the UK.
hector

Post by hector »

1964white wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:39 am Hopefully we have turned the corner here in the UK.
Only until the rules here relax more, and pubs are open inside, and the quarantine removed for travellers....
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:56 am Only until the rules here relax more, and pubs are open inside, and the quarantine removed for travellers....
We must not allow the world & it's wife into the UK, need to stop different variants of covid entering the country, the prime reason why we've had the South African & Indian variants of late.

Why people have the desire of boarding a plane & travelling abroad is beyond me in these desperate dangerous times!
hector

Post by hector »

1964white wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:58 am

Why people have the desire of boarding a plane & travelling abroad is beyond me in these desperate dangerous times!
Why they have that desire at all is beyond me, big lumps of metal in the air is not a natural thing........
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu