The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 4th March) - FA release 62 page dossier against Casilla

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 4th March) - FA release 62 page dossier against Casilla

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. Its Wednesday 4th March, and here ar the latest headlines from Elland Road...

FA release 62 page dossier against Casilla

The FA finally released a statement yesterday afternoon regarding Kiko Casilla's 8 game ban and £60,000 fine for racist language. The 33 year old was accused of breaching FA Rule E3 - calling Charlton Athletics on loan forward a "f***ing n***er" after the pair had clashed prior to a corner being taken in the 72nd minute. The remark was also heard by Addicks team mate Macauley Bonne. The pair conferred, before speaking to the referee.

Casilla's key defence was that his English language was limited, and he did not even know that the "N-word" existed, but the FA did not accept this excuse. Straight after the game, the referee informed Casilla of the claim that had been made, and that he had to report it to the FA. Tyler Roberts Knew Leko from his time at West Bromwich Albion, sent Leko a Whatsapp message on the coach home to ask if Casilla had said something racist. Leko repeated that he had, before Roberts replied that "he [Casilla] said he said 'what's your f**king name'".

The commission said it accepted that Casilla "is not a racist" and that the language "was wholly out of character", but that it was "satisfied on the balance of probabilities" that he had directed a racist remark towards Leko. Had Casilla not used the language defence, he would have received a six game ban. Casilla's use of "the language defence" was found to be an aggravating factor, with the commission concluding that Casilla "came here to deceive the tribunal, and that makes it even more serious".

The FA were also critical that Casilla's used high-profile character witnesses like Rafael Benitez which they labelled a "shameless ploy. The FA summonsed Nketiah to give evidence against his former teammate. Nketiah was at the hearing, but firmly representing Leeds United and his statement didn't implicate Casilla in any way.

Should Leeds Utd punish Casilla

In the light of the 62 page dossier from the FA regarding Kiko Casilla's racism charge, should the club take further internal action against the 33 year old spaniard? Are you more, or less convinced then before that Casilla used racist language? Would you say that the punishment meets the crime?

Charlton Athletic condemn social media abuse towards Leko and Bonne

Charlton Athletic have condemned social media abuse directed towards Leko and Bonne following the FA's outcome. Charlton’s statement today said:

The club is pleased there is finally a resolution following the news that Leeds United goalkeeper Kiko Casilla will be banned for an incident that took place when they played at The Valley in September. However, the club is disappointed with the abuse on social media that Jonathan Leko and Macauley Bonne have received following the news. Jonathan was a victim in this incident and the pair of them did not ask for this, the club is proud of both of them for standing up as football continues to fight racism.

Charlton Athletic’s priority in the process has been supporting the players involved. Racist abuse is abhorrent and completely unacceptable, at no point should an individual have to experience racist abuse on the football pitch or in any walk of life. This is not the first time in the last 12 months one of our players has been subjected to racist abuse; last year the club twice reported racist abuse on social media directed towards Lyle Taylor to the police.

All of us in football still have so much work to do. The club will continue its work with various anti-racism organisations and the Charlton Athletic Community Trust on anti-racism and anti-discrimination projects and urges anyone who witnesses racist abuse to report it.

Personally, I find the Addicks statement a little hypocritical considering Lee Bowyers past, especially the judges summing up of the infamous Woodgate / Bowyer trial in 2001. If you are a celebrity on social media, are you fair game to be trolled? Is there enough protection on social media sites?

rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 4th March)Nketiah and Rafa defended Kiko at trial

Post by rrfierce »

Lets hope that this is the end of it and everyone can move on. Glad its finally been concluded but not sure that casilla has a future at the club.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 4th March) - FA release 62 page dossier against Casilla

Post by Sara »

The key thing for me in there is the conclusion that Kiko is not a racist, and that anything he may have said of that nature was out of character. He's had his punishment, and now we need to move on.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 4th March) - FA release 62 page dossier against Casilla

Post by mothbanquet »

SaraM wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:26 am The key thing for me in there is the conclusion that Kiko is not a racist, and that anything he may have said of that nature was out of character. He's had his punishment, and now we need to move on.
Agreed Sara. No need for any further involvement from the fans on any level whether slinging abuse at Charlton or anti-Kiko chants, none of it will help the team that's worked so hard and done us proud thus far. Let's just get the lads over the finish line.
Doire_Boi
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Doire_Boi »

Aside from PB, he was our weaklink. I wouldn't say I'm glad hes banned but glad we have someone else between the sticks to see out the campaign.

I can relax a bit more now when the ball is launched into our area.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Doire_Boi wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:13 pm Aside from PB, he was our weaklink. I wouldn't say I'm glad hes banned but glad we have someone else between the sticks to see out the campaign.

Mes does look very cool under pressure and seems to make good decisions from what we've seen of him. He and Ben White look cut from the same cloth in both regards.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Leko and Bonne have to be given the benefit of the doubt, I suppose.

Still upset at the way the FA dragged this out and then announced the night before a game, but the dossier is pretty damning.

That being said, if Kiko did, indeed, use that word, he deserves the ban and I honestly don't know that I want him on our side. Some things are inexcusable. Up until now, we had heard only that Kiko had said something to the effect of "mark that black guy," a far less incendiary remark than the one he ostensibly made. And what compounds the offense is the sheer stupidity of saying such a thing when there is so much riding on this season for the team. Kiko didn't just hurt his own career, he hurt the team.

Too much at stake here to let this ruin our season, though. We have a more than capable replacement. Let's get behind Meslier and march on together.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

went back and had a look at the charlton game highlights - jesus, kiko was awful that game - came for and end up in no-mans land for about 5 crosses

so far so good from meslier, looks an improvement imo
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

https://video.leedsunited.com/video?pla ... 0_gdmabe2p

JKA wont play vs Huddersfield, he wasn't in that video at all.
Ian was, not that that means much.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

John in Louisiana wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:29 pm Leko and Bonne have to be given the benefit of the doubt, I suppose.

Still upset at the way the FA dragged this out and then announced the night before a game, but the dossier is pretty damning.

That being said, if Kiko did, indeed, use that word, he deserves the ban and I honestly don't know that I want him on our side. Some things are inexcusable. Up until now, we had heard only that Kiko had said something to the effect of "mark that black guy," a far less incendiary remark than the one he ostensibly made. And what compounds the offense is the sheer stupidity of saying such a thing when there is so much riding on this season for the team. Kiko didn't just hurt his own career, he hurt the team.

Too much at stake here to let this ruin our season, though. We have a more than capable replacement. Let's get behind Meslier and march on together.
Despite the findings of this hearing and the inevitable punishment I think it's just as well Leko is out injured for the rest of the season and wont play at ER on the final day.
Hopefully we will be already celebrating promotion by then and we don't want some idiot ruining the game by running on to the pitch and confronting Leko.
I doubt Kiko will play again this season, especially if Meslier does as well as we all hope, beyond that who knows?
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Interestingly if Meslier plays 10 games we trigger a 5M fee..We have 10 left, he has 8 more games.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Doire_Boi
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Doire_Boi »

faaip wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:45 pm Interestingly if Meslier plays 10 games we trigger a 5M fee..We have 10 left, he has 8 more games.
It will be wrapped up by then.. :)
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Doire_Boi wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:13 pm

Mate on saturday Meslier came for the ball and there weren't butterflies in my stomach!

I know he will make mistakes over the next 10 matches so far he seems to do the goalkeeping stuff well.
Maybe not the sweeper keeper side but hopefully our defence will adapt to him.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

faaip wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:45 pm Interestingly if Meslier plays 10 games we trigger a 5M fee..We have 10 left, he has 8 more games.
Meslier has played 1 FA Cup match, 0 EFL Cup matches and as such if he plays the full 8 matches whilst Kiko is banned it takes him to 9. That puts the ball conveniently in the club's hands as to whether they think it is worth him playing a 10th match. Regardless of the rights and wrongs of the Kiko ban hopefully Messlier will prove to be worth us playing him a 10th match and signing him.
Doire_Boi
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Doire_Boi »

Irish Ian wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:37 pm Mate on saturday Meslier came for the ball and there weren't butterflies in my stomach!

I know he will make mistakes over the next 10 matches so far he seems to do the goalkeeping stuff well.
Maybe not the sweeper keeper side but hopefully our defence will adapt to him.
I'm happy enough if he can just do the goalkeeping side of things. Get rid of it if you need to, no danger-balls.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Doire_Boi wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:31 pm I'm happy enough if he can just do the goalkeeping side of things. Get rid of it if you need to, no danger-balls.
Indeed, making a mistake kicking it out is far less risky than making a mistake handling the ball.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Doire_Boi
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Doire_Boi »

Irish Ian wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:45 pm Indeed, making a mistake kicking it out is far less risky than making a mistake handling the ball.
Your old school like me then.. I hate seeing goalkeepers on the ball unless they have it in their hands :lol:
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Look I have a big enough problem keeping up with the day of the week never mind coming on here a seeing 2 X Wednesday breakfast debates ! Please help !

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk