The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 11th March) - Casilla to be sent back to Spain whilst club decide fate

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 11th March) - Casilla to be sent back to Spain whilst club decide fate

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 11th February, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Bielsa set to stay with the Whites next season

During his Q and A session on the Athletic, Phil Hay was quizzed about Marcelo Bielsa's future, and whether he expected the Argentine to be in the Elland Road hot seat next season if the Whites were to go up.

Yes I do. It will need to be agreed and Leeds will need to negotiate a contract extension. More than money, that would probably depend most on them meeting his various demands. But I’ve spoken to people close to him and they think he’s ready for a season in the Premier League if Leeds go up.

It will need to be agreed and Leeds will need to negotiate a contract extension. More than money, that would probably depend most on them meeting his various demands. But I’ve spoken to people close to him and they think he’s ready for a season in the Premier League if Leeds go up.

Casilla to be sent back to Spain whilst club decide fate

Kiko Casilla's career at Elland Road lies in tatters as discussions between the club, player and his agent discuss whether the former Real Madrid shot stopper should return to Spain whilst Leeds decide what to do next. Former Chief football writer for the YEP believes the 33 year old may not have a future at Elland Road...

As of last week he was training at Thorp Arch but there was some discussion about whether he would go home for a period while Leeds consider their next move for him. There’s obviously a case for Leeds to take disciplinary action after the racism verdict. We’ll see what their next move is but I’m struggling to see Casilla having much of a future here.

Cowley shares words of encouragement from Bielsa

Following last Saturdays crunch derby, Huddersfield boss Danny Cowley has shared what Bielsa told him before heading down the tunnel. Like he has done many times this season, Bielsa offered words of encouragement to the Huddersfield gaffer and staff.

He just said he felt we had done an amazing job with how we have turned the team around. He was also complimentary about how the team have been playing, but he had won and he was happy!

Obviously we have unbelievable respect for him and it was a great lesson for our young players and it was a great lesson for Nicky and I, for Mark (Hudson) and Clem (goalkeeping coach Paul Clements) – and we will take learning from that, for sure.

Costa set to agree 4 year deal this summer

On loan Winger Helder Costa will be handed a four year deal at Elland Road as Leeds look to complete the paperwork for the Portuguese International winger. Costa has spent the season on loan from Wolves, and even though the 26 year old had initial problems settling into the team, he has improved significantly as the season progressed. He will sign regardless of what division the Whites will be in next season.

In 27 appearances, Costa has netted four times and has provided 5 assists! Is Costa as good as you expected him to be? Is he strong enough for the Premiership?

HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 11th March) Casilla to be sent back to Italy whilst club decide fate

Post by HarryofOz »

Very good news about Costa

Sensational news about Bielsa
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 11th March) - Casilla to be sent back to Spain whilst club decide fate

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning Folks.

We all knew MB would stay if IT happens this season.

Kiko. I noticed his name was missing from the sponsors page on the March programme on Saturday.
I think the club have no choice but to get shot.

Costa. As expected, next season he will be amazing.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Peter in Blackpool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 11th March) - Casilla to be sent back to Spain whilst club decide fate

Post by Peter in Blackpool »

Irish Ian wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:00 am Morning Folks.

We all knew MB would stay if IT happens this season.
if? did you really say if?
Peter in Blackpool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

why did the club publicly support him in their statement and now seem to regard him as a liability?
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

I wouldn't think it's even in doubt that MB stays WHEN Leeds go up. Who wouldn't want to manage any club after getting promotion to the PL never mind the great LUFC !
Championys !

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Bielsa will be with Leeds long enough to become a true hero and legend, of that I'm certain. So long as the club continues to be run well and we continue to invest in the future as we have been doing we won't be going back down into the second tier anytime soon. I have a strong feeling we will enter a golden age should we achieve promotion.

Costa will only improve as time goes on, I think he'll achieve a different level with his second season just like our Jack has.

Re Kiko, much as I hate the 'purge the unclean' puritannical mob mentality and despair over the lack of forgiveness in some peoples' hearts for a mistake or error in judgement, such is the way of things in the world of celebrity. Make a mistake and you'll be cast aside and forgotten, harsh but unavoidable.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Peter in Blackpool wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:14 am if? did you really say if?
Mate I am the guy who bought flights to London after we beat Derby 1-0 in the first leg.

And that was after the pain of Wigan.

So I will stick with IF until WHEN 😃
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

mothbanquet wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:27 am
Re Kiko, much as I hate the 'purge the unclean' puritannical mob mentality and despair over the lack of forgiveness in some peoples' hearts for a mistake or error in judgement, such is the way of things in the world of celebrity. Make a mistake and you'll be cast aside and forgotten, harsh but unavoidable.

Leeds are a business and they need to protect their reputation among their partners.
Also there is very little appetite for Kiko at the moment.
On Saturday when Kikos name was chanted by the fans on the South Stand there was a collective groan heard where I was sitting.

If Kiko had admitted his error there is no way there would be talk of him being sent away, everyone would have accepted his mistake, andhe would have received his ban. But sadly his line of defence has painted both him and the club into an awkward corner.
'
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

I do feel for Kiko in this - why can't anyone just make an effing decision?

The club have known all along what his defence was, and what the outcome was likely to be. Why on earth do they now have to banish him while they ponder it even further?

I suspect the answer is because any decision will be made by accountants, and not by anyone with any moral backbone.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

SaraM wrote:I do feel for Kiko in this - why can't anyone just make an effing decision?

The club have known all along what his defence was, and what the outcome was likely to be. Why on earth do they now have to banish him while they ponder it even further?

I suspect the answer is because any decision will be made by accountants, and not by anyone with any moral backbone.
Probably right Sara , it's a business and the decision may well rest on which division we are in next season. PL and they keep him, Championship and he's gone due to his wages. On the other hand if Bielsa has the final say I reckon he'll be gone anyway .
Championys !

Peter in Blackpool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

I think one of the hardest decisions to make for next season should kiko be history is do we buy an experienced keeper or keep our promising youngster as first choice keeper? Would be tough on him to be replaced by a newly bought keeper, but is he ready for the PL?
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Does Kiko not have a four year contract, or something? Using the racism charge as an excuse to bin him off because we don't want to pay his wages seems really underhand. I'm not sure if Bielsa is unhappy with him, do we have any reason to think that?

As for next season, my sense is that Meslier is the future whether Kiko stays or not, and whether we're promoted or not. He looked brilliant against Arsenal, and he's only going to get much, much better.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Peter in Blackpool wrote:I think one of the hardest decisions to make for next season should kiko be history is do we buy an experienced keeper or keep our promising youngster as first choice keeper? Would be tough on him to be replaced by a newly bought keeper, but is he ready for the PL?
It's a big call to throw him into the PL at such an early age and very limited experience but if he's good enough he's old enough and Bielsa will know. We'll have a good idea near the end of this season if Kiko is recalled or not but I hope Mesi keeps his place if he does well.

Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

It was a good opportunity to chuck Casilla under a bus they have by the looks of it.
That's football. I still think that the probable doubt doesn't sit well with me, glad they aren't still hanging people :roll: