If the season is abandoned

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Manager
Manager
Twitter: @EllandBack1

If the season is abandoned

Post by Ellandback1 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:19 pm

The FA / EFL will be meeting on the 3rd April, where they will assess whether the authorities have the corona virus under control. In the unlikely event that the deadly virus has declined sufficiently and 9 games can be rearranged in a very short amount of time, the season will need to be extended by another month, and with the play offs also needed to be decided, in all likelihood the season will probably be abandoned.

With this being the case, how should relegation, promotion and Champions be sorted?

i) The season is declared null and void

ii) The season finishes as it is with promotion / relegation to as normal

iii) The remainder of games are calculated by the EFL defined by league position, and reverse fixture result

vi) The German proposal would mean there would be no Champion or no relegation from their top tier (Bundesliga). Instead, the top four teams from their second tier (our Championship) would all get promoted expanding their division from 18 to 22. Assuming 3 teams from the Championship were to go up, the Premiership would increase from 20 clubs to 23.

5) Any other ideas?

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: If the season is abandoned

Post by Cjay » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:39 pm

Very hard situation.

If they declare the season null and void teams and players will go to war with the authorities.

Teams close to winning titles, teams that could still get in to European places which is worth more money, teams that have a chance of promotion which is half the Championship still, what about Coventry top of league 1 and teams who are in the promotion mix in league 2 and such?

What about players who would be due promotion bonuses?

What about all the merchandise and sponsorship money teams lose out on?

Is it fair all those teams and players lose out but teams close to relegation in the Prem will get tons of money despite not deserving it?

What about Sky? They paid for a certain amount of matches, if those dont happen wouldn't Sky be within their rights to declare a breach of contract and demand the 100s of millions back?

They could promote the top 2 but what about Fulham, Brentford any team within playoff reach? Will they just accept that?

BGwhite
First Team
First Team

Post by BGwhite » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:04 pm

The PL isn't due to finish till 2 weeks after the championship (may17) , the playoff final is usually end of may bank holiday (a ridiculous 12 days after the 2nd legs have taken place) . There alone is plenty of time to fit the games in . Cancel the playoffs and have the top 3 promoted (as it should be imo). So from middle of April to end of May is plenty of time to fit 9 games in but I suspect the biggest hurdle is the policing of the games. I don't know how much time the police need to prepare for games but that could be a stumbling block and if they say they don't have time then that will be the end of the season .

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

gessa
Superstar
Superstar

Post by gessa » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:14 pm

BGwhite wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:04 pm
The PL isn't due to finish till 2 weeks after the championship (may17) , the playoff final is usually end of may bank holiday (a ridiculous 12 days after the 2nd legs have taken place) . There alone is plenty of time to fit the games in . Cancel the playoffs and have the top 3 promoted (as it should be imo). So from middle of April to end of May is plenty of time to fit 9 games in but I suspect the biggest hurdle is the policing of the games. I don't know how much time the police need to prepare for games but that could be a stumbling block and if they say they don't have time then that will be the end of the season .

I seem to remember it being 10 days notice for the police.

BGwhite
First Team
First Team

Post by BGwhite » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:26 pm

gessa wrote:
I seem to remember it being 10 days notice for the police.
Plenty of time in that case.
I do have a feeling that if the number of cases keeps increasing before the meeting the season will be cancelled with no promotion or relegation and they'll face the flack as and when in which case I also think the Bielsa ride will be over .

SG90
Manager
Manager

Post by SG90 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:38 pm

We played 7 games in February, why can't we play 9 in April to early May? They cancelled it too soon. It would have made sense next weekend, as there'd only be 6 games left. I'd also scrap the playoffs too.

Got a horrible feeling this will all be for nothing and we have to stay as we are. It will be hard to take losing Bielsa and KP in that way. But we should be compensated in some way, as WBA and Fulham. Not fair Norwich receive another load of tv money in comparison to those 3.
What I want from an owner: 1. Ambition. 2. Wage bill control. 3. Cut spending on loan fees. 4. Better scouting. 5. Get bigger fees for our best players. 6.No ego.

Ratscoot
First Team
First Team

Post by Ratscoot » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:39 pm

The EFL will employ the fairest, unbiased and greatest minds of our generation (Shaun Harvey, Keith Andrews and Don Goodman) combined with the latest Super Computer (Spectrum 64) to work out how the league really would have finished, I’ll leave you all to speculate where we might finish :duno:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't

SG90
Manager
Manager

Post by SG90 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:44 pm

The PL will only vote for what suits them. They won't vote for relegation and I can't see the EFL voting to promote us, so that would rule out any promotions or relegations throughout the pyramid.
What I want from an owner: 1. Ambition. 2. Wage bill control. 3. Cut spending on loan fees. 4. Better scouting. 5. Get bigger fees for our best players. 6.No ego.

rich_leeds64
Manager
Manager
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:56 pm

If the season is declared void then the implications would finish a number of clubs and plunge others deeper into debt, players and staff still need paying, fans would be expecting season ticket money to be refunded, Loss of revenue, advertising and sponsorship money withheld, it would be catastrophic.
They must at all costs try to get a satisfactory conclusion and imo the best way is put Euro 2020 back to 2021 so it gives not only our leagues time to complete but also the rest of Europe and if necessary delay the start of next season until September and put a few more midweek games in and scrap the international breaks.

gessa
Superstar
Superstar

Post by gessa » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:58 pm

rich_leeds64 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:56 pm
If the season is declared void then the implications would finish a number of clubs and plunge others deeper into debt, players and staff still need paying, fans would be expecting season ticket money to be refunded, Loss of revenue, advertising and sponsorship money withheld, it would be catastrophic.
They must at all costs try to get a satisfactory conclusion and imo the best way is put Euro 2020 back to 2021 so it gives not only our leagues time to complete but also the rest of Europe and if necessary delay the start of next season until September and put a few more midweek games in and scrap the international breaks.
Even cancel the 2 cups for a season, no one hardly bothers anymore anyway

rich_leeds64
Manager
Manager
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:12 pm

gessa wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:58 pm
Even cancel the 2 cups for a season, no one hardly bothers anymore anyway
Exactly, there’s ways of getting this season finished, it all depends on the idiots who influence the decision makers, I see Karen Brady was spouting that the only way was to void the league now, but she would wouldn’t she because if it runs to a conclusion WHU could well find themselves in the championship

gessa
Superstar
Superstar

Post by gessa » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:13 pm

rich_leeds64 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:12 pm
Exactly, there’s ways of getting this season finished, it all depends on the idiots who influence the decision makers, I see Karen Brady was spouting that the only way was to void the league now, but she would wouldn’t she because if it runs to a conclusion WHU could well find themselves in the championship

Saw that earlier, bet she wouldn't be saying the same if they were bottom 3.

I've read a couple of times today but can't find anything official that, no relegation from the PL, us and WBA promoted, 5 relegated next season. Not sure how practical that would be, also the knock on effect of the other divisions

SG90
Manager
Manager

Post by SG90 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:21 pm

Surely if promotion/relegation is scrapped, we could challenge that unused parachute payments for a relegated side are awarded to us.

SG90
Manager
Manager

Post by SG90 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:23 pm

gessa wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:13 pm

I've read a couple of times today but can't find anything official that, no relegation from the PL, us and WBA promoted, 5 relegated next season. Not sure how practical that would be, also the knock on effect of the other divisions
Like I said, it will all be about self interest over fairness. West Ham, Brighton, Bournemouth, Villa, Norwich, Spurs etc will all want the league cancelled. I see Brighton's Chief Executive is already saying he can't see the league resuming.

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:30 pm

The season is 75% done.

You cant punish teams that have had good seasons because of this.

Sheffield United, Wolves, Liverpool, us WBA etc.

Why should we be punished because West Ham, Villa, Brighton etc fucked up?

After 75% of a season teams are where they should be. Yes you could go on a run and have a great last 25% or go into freefall.

But by and large teams are now roughly where they will end up.

The Premier league top 10 was the same teams that finished top 10 at the end as it was at this point last season. Only difference was Watford dropped out Everton came in and it was a slightly different order.

The bottom 3 never changed.
Last edited by Cjay on Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ellandback1
Manager
Manager

Post by Ellandback1 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:31 pm

gessa wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:13 pm

That is the German suggestion

WhiteRose
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by WhiteRose » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:32 pm

I always tend to expect the worst hence my previous comments about them cancelling the season. People saying it's the fairest way to do it though are completely stupid, deluded or both How is it fair to write off 37 games of a season where clubs have spent millions to get where they are and players and staff have put so much effort in for what will be nothing. It will cause as much fuss to relegate and promote those teams currently in the relevant positions and to me it's the fairer way so just do that.

I expect season ticket holders will want their money back aswell for the remaining games best case something like 23000 x £100 so that's 2.3 million just for leeds, who is compensating clubs for this?

Ellandback1
Manager
Manager

Post by Ellandback1 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:55 pm

Apparently, the FA rule book states if a team play over 75% (35 games) of its games and the season ends all points remain valid and it can’t be void.

Anyone got a copy of the rules?

SG90
Manager
Manager

Post by SG90 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:02 pm

Ellandback1 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:55 pm
Apparently, the FA rule book states if a team play over 75% (35 games) of its games and the season ends all points remain valid and it can’t be void.

Anyone got a copy of the rules?
But would that just mean we finish 1st but don't get promoted?

Irish Ian
Manager
Manager

Post by Irish Ian » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:03 pm

Difficult for the EFL to come up with a solutiin on their own but. No International footy this summer.

Extend this season to its conclusion.

Start next season a couple of weeks late and scrap the 4 International breaks to allow next season to finish on time.
Play the Euros next season.

Back on track.

That way everything gets decided on the pitch.
No lawsuits from angry club owners
'We can wait for the next game with serenity'

'I am quite clear in my mind that one has to feel sincere love for those he leads, and if he doesn't feel it naturally, then he must learn how to feel it' Marcelo Bielsa

'Would he kill his granny to win a match?' Bobby Collins

Advertisment