David Ornstein

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

David Ornstein

Post by Cjay »

Totally unimportant at the moment but it would be hugely disappointing.

It would taint the game for me, in 10, 20 years people would still remember that season that was wiped.

How might it have changed things etc

Ornstein knows his onions so must be some truth to it.

Why not just finish this season whenever that can be? Surely thats logical?
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: David Ornstein

Post by weasel »

My feelings too Cjay. If there had been less than half the games played then probably call off the season but when 3/4 of the matches have been played then the season has to finish, be that this year, next year the year after. I just don't get the clamour to start a new season instead of finishing the current one.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

It isn't totally unimportant at all Cjay - despite the current suspension it is still right to discuss it as long as gobsh*tes like him want to air their flawed views.

People like him should stfu because they're not the ones like us who would lose out after this season of excellence.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Who is he?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

The Champiosnip clubs will kick off massively if there is no promotion to the Premiership, too much money riding on it. Also no parachute money splashing round in the Championship, the gap will only get bigger.

Football is not important right now, but neither is it the time to be making these descisions. They have bought themselves time.
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

faaip wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:04 pmWho is he?
Wasn't he one of the main football journo's/correspondents at the BBC for a good few years, but moved somewhere (Athletic ??, not sure)
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

I know at a much lower level, but did we see the first domino of season cancellation with the lower National League divisions yesterday evening ??
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Surely the fairest way would be to complete this season even if it mean't playing the final fixtures in say September/October & cancel the 2020/21 season or reduce next seasons campaign to a certain degree
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Trouble is for every Liverpool/Leeds/West Brom/Coventry/Rotherham/Crewe/Swindon arguing that we should complete the season, no matter how long that might take, you'll have a Norwich/Barnsley/Luton/Bolton/Stevenage not exactly kicking back against cancellation

Playing devil's advocate, but would we be so keen to finish the season if occupying a relegation berth ?? :duno:
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Would every league in Europe have to make the same descision too? Otherwise how do you decide who plays in the Champions League next season?

And if the same teams, with City banned, who takes their place?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:51 pm Would every league in Europe have to make the same descision too? Otherwise how do you decide who plays in the Champions League next season?

You'd have to postpone City's ban a season too..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

faaip wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:04 pmWho is he?
Arsenal's Phil Hay - now works for the Athletic.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:49 pm Trouble is for every Liverpool/Leeds/West Brom/Coventry/Rotherham/Crewe/Swindon arguing that we should complete the season, no matter how long that might take, you'll have a Norwich/Barnsley/Luton/Bolton/Stevenage not exactly kicking back against cancellation

Playing devil's advocate, but would we be so keen to finish the season if occupying a relegation berth ?? :duno:
I would as the Leeds sides that got relegated from the prem and then from the championship were awful sides and deserved to get relegated - you could tell well before they got relegated that they were going to get relegated. Teams don't deserve to escape if they have been awful, just the same as teams don't deserve to be denied the chance to get promoted/win titles if they have done well.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:49 pm Trouble is for every Liverpool/Leeds/West Brom/Coventry/Rotherham/Crewe/Swindon arguing that we should complete the season, no matter how long that might take, you'll have a Norwich/Barnsley/Luton/Bolton/Stevenage not exactly kicking back against cancellation

So teams being unsuccessful & playing cr*p for a huge part of the season would benefit
1964white

Post by 1964white »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:51 pm Would every league in Europe have to make the same descision too? Otherwise how do you decide who plays in the Champions League next season?

Like the premiership the Champions League is still to be finalise so play those matches after the league campaigns are completed, it may mean the CL & Europa Cup to be played from January 2021 onwards.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

This season is the priority

Right now next season is irrelevant
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:59 pm I would as the Leeds sides that got relegated from the prem and then from the championship were awful sides and deserved to get relegated - you could tell well before they got relegated that they were going to get relegated. Teams don't deserve to escape if they have been awful, just the same as teams don't deserve to be denied the chance to get promoted/win titles if they have done well.
:tup: :clape: :supbo: :tup:
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Cant see how voiding the season is an option.

Teams are where they deserve to be, 3/4s of the season is done. Its not game 4 or 5 its 3/4s done.

Liverpool are top because they deserve it.
City are 2nd
Leicester are 3rd etc.

Thats where they deserve to be in the same way the bottom 3 are bottom 3 because they should be after 3/4s of the season.

Voiding the season would be totally unjust and unfair on teams that have worked hard and are in decent positions.

Either finish the season or call it done now, thats the fairest way imo.

When teams start a season in good faith that season must have an end, cant just pretend it didnt happen, thats ludicrous surely?

I know its an unprecedented situation and all clubs have their own agendas but if the season is voided that would ruin the integrity of the game?

What if Norwich go on and do a Leicester next season and win the Prem?
What if WBA get relegated next season and Luton promoted?

Could those things really be counted in history given in all likelihood they should never have happened.

I like to think i would be saying the same if we were at the other end, i think i would because if we deserved to go down then thats what should happen.

If we were bottom now but this season was voided and we won the league next season id find it hard to celebrate that properly.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom