Most Memorable Games

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Peter in Blackpool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Most Memorable Games

Post by Peter in Blackpool »

Sometimes its easy to forget this is a leeds supporters forum with no football to talk about.

So its time to remenisce.

What is your most memorable game?

For me I think I would rate home v Man city in the cup. 6th round I think. Took a non footballing mate and we stood right behind the goal in the kop.

terrific end to end game remembered mainly for the Corrigan wonder save. I was about 10 yards from corrigan at the time and could not believe how he managed to somehow twist in mid air to palm it away.

Trevor Cherry scored the only goal of the game to win it for us. A shot from the edge of the area, he scuffed it and went down along with 2 defenders, corrigan saw this and advanced to collect the ball. Cherry was the quickest to recover and just beat corrigan to the ball as he slid it under his body.

That night on match of the day, jimmy hill was comparing the corrigan save to the famous pele/banks save.

the headlines the following day was Trevor gets two bites of the Cherry!.

Oh and my mate became one of the leeds family and still goes to games.

dont know how to embed video here but if you cant remember or were too young/not born click on this link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJnIsAG0Ht8
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Most Memorable Games

Post by HarryofOz »

Gee this is tough.

But I'll have to go with my first visit to Elland Road in 2005. Met up with some really good people that I'd got to know online.

Lost 2-0 to Ipswich and we weren't very good, but it was still a memorable experience

Had my first chicken balti pie, which was very tasty.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

One of greatest performances ever, fantastic comeback after John Pratt had put Spurs ahead with a fortunate goal......we battered them!

Leeds v Spurs

FA Cup Quarter-final 1972

Apologies for the poor picture quality

1964white

Post by 1964white »

And we can't forget these two magical performances within a couple of weeks in 1972

1964white

Post by 1964white »

wilsdenwhite
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by wilsdenwhite »

Not so much a memorable game for me but it was the first time I went to Elland Road. No, this is more of a brain teaser for folk:

We are in the mid 80's here, it's early September.

It was not an International game, reserve game, a friendly, an exhibition and not a testimonial.

Most of the crowd were chanting "Leeds United, Leeds United, Leeds United must be s**t"

Anyone have any idea what game I was watching?
|||L|||E|||E|||D|||S|||
1964white

Post by 1964white »

And we can't leave Marcelo out of the equasion can we?

So many memorable matches I never dream't I'd witness in my lifetime again & in the championship too!

DavidH
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by DavidH »

I was a 15 year old still at school when the teachers organised a dormobile (a sort of van with windows) to go to see Liverpool V Leeds, the game that would confirm us as champions if we won or drew it in 1969. Not having tickets, the teachers ended up in the adult away section, and us 7 or so "kids" ended up in the only part we could get in......the kids kop section. One of the schoolkids was wearing a really long hand-knitted Leeds scarf, which you can imagine, didn't go down well with the Liverpool lads. We felt in imminent danger, and so it came to pass as one guy came over to us and punched another of us (the guy wearing the scarf was actually already big and lumpy as a weightlifter). The assailant scarpered leaving the victim on the floor. We picked him up, but he fainted, so we got him to the front, and a policeman took charge of us, walking us around the pitch (2 plus the victim), to go down a tunnel(?) to where the St John Ambulance team were. The victim was taken to a hospital as a precaution, and being just before half time, we were put back in the Leeds fan's end.

So we witnessed the second half and of course, in effect the winning of our first division one title with a 0-0 draw. We watched as the team went over to the Kop end to receive the applause as champions from the home supporters. I think because of that, Leeds fans have always had an affinity with Liverpool. I can honestly say it was not an experience I wanted to repeat in a hurry though. By the way, the young chap who had to be taken to hospital, was collected on our way out of Liverpool, having been given a clean bill of health.

The funny thing is, I did repeat the experience in 1972, when we had beaten Arsenal in the FA Cup final, and had to get a win or a draw playing at Wolves on the following Monday, just two days later, thanks to the FA, to be confirmed as Champions again, and more importantly, as "doing the double". This time we failed, due to circumstances that have been well documented in the past, so I won't go into that. But this time, it was a works minibus trip. I realise that many modern-day fans wouldn't be aware of the circumstances which seemed to shout injustice, so here is a balanced report from a Wolves paper of the match for those who want to read more:
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... s-v-leeds/
1964white

Post by 1964white »

wilsdenwhite wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:32 am Not so much a memorable game for me but it was the first time I went to Elland Road. No, this is more of a brain teaser for folk:

It was not an International game, reserve game, a friendly, an exhibition and not a testimonial.

Most of the crowd were chanting "Leeds United, Leeds United, Leeds United must be s**t"

Was it a rugby game Wilsden?
wilsdenwhite
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by wilsdenwhite »

1964white wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:39 am Was it a rugby game Wilsden?
No. Football.
|||L|||E|||E|||D|||S|||
1964white

Post by 1964white »

wilsdenwhite wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:41 am No. Football.
So a Leeds game with our fans singing we are sh*t?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Or was it a FA Cup semi-final game played at ER
Peter in Blackpool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

DavidH wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:35 am I was a 15 year old still at school when the teachers organised a dormobile (a sort of van with windows) to go to see Liverpool V Leeds, the game that would confirm us as champions if we won or drew it in 1969. Not having tickets, the teachers ended up in the adult away section, and us 7 or so "kids" ended up in the only part we could get in......the kids kop section. One of the schoolkids was wearing a really long hand-knitted Leeds scarf, which you can imagine, didn't go down well with the Liverpool lads. We felt in imminent danger, and so it came to pass as one guy came over to us and punched another of us (the guy wearing the scarf was actually already big and lumpy as a weightlifter). The assailant scarpered leaving the victim on the floor. We picked him up, but he fainted, so we got him to the front, and a policeman took charge of us, walking us around the pitch (2 plus the victim), to go down a tunnel(?) to where the St John Ambulance team were. The victim was taken to a hospital as a precaution, and being just before half time, we were put back in the Leeds fan's end.
wow, what happened to health and safety? If that were to happen now, the teachers and the school and the council would all be sued.
just what were they thinking of?
wilsdenwhite
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by wilsdenwhite »

1964white wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:46 am So a Leeds game with our fans singing we are sh*t?
I never said that.
|||L|||E|||E|||D|||S|||
wilsdenwhite
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by wilsdenwhite »

1964white wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:47 am Or was it a FA Cup semi-final game played at ER
Nope.
|||L|||E|||E|||D|||S|||
Peter in Blackpool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

1964white wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:47 am Or was it a FA Cup semi-final game played at ER
not in september
Peter in Blackpool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

wilsdenwhite wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:32 am Not so much a memorable game for me but it was the first time I went to Elland Road. No, this is more of a brain teaser for folk:

were leeds united a competing team in the game?

I have a feeling that maybe another local team was ground sharing for a short time
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Peter in Blackpool wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:53 am not in september
Oops my error :chair:
billie1
First Team
First Team

Post by billie1 »

1964white wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:22 am One of greatest performances ever, fantastic comeback after John Pratt had put Spurs ahead with a fortunate goal......we battered them!

Leeds v Spurs

FA Cup Quarter-final 1972

Apologies for the poor picture quality

I’d have loved to have been at that game . John Giles rated it as Leeds best performance whilst he was at the club . I listened to the match ( or I think it was just the second half back then ) on the radio and watched the highlights on MOD . Brilliant!
wilsdenwhite
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by wilsdenwhite »

Peter in Blackpool wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:58 am were leeds united a competing team in the game?

I have a feeling that maybe another local team was ground sharing for a short time
All i can say is I've seen some pretty dire performances at ER from Leeds over the years but enough to warrant us singing we must be sh1t?

Who knows.
|||L|||E|||E|||D|||S|||