The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 31st March) Too much strain to complete EFL remaining fixtures

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 31st March) Too much strain to complete EFL remaining fixtures

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. Its Tuesday 31st March, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Deputy chief medical officer - It could be 6 months before we get back to normal

Deputy chief medical officer Dr Jenny Harries has said it could be six months or longer before the country gets back to normal after the coronavirus; potentially putting the 2019/20 season in jeopardy! Jennifer Margaret Harries OBE was quoted as saying...
If we stop then all of our efforts will be wasted and we could potentially see a second peak. So over time, probably over the next six months, we will have a three-week review. We will see where we are going.

We need to keep that lid on - and then gradually we will be able to hopefully adjust some of the social distancing measures and gradually get us all back to normal. Three weeks for review, two or three months to see whether we have really squashed it but about three to six months ideally, and lots of uncertainty in that, but then to see at which point we can actually get back to normal.

When should the EFL call time on the 2019/20 season?

The suspension of the 2019/20 season is currently on hold and set to be reviewed on the 30th April, but in all honesty there is not a chance on Earth that Soccer Chiefs will even contemplate lifting the embargo until the Country has the coronavirus under control, and this could be six months away! Compared to many, Leeds are an affluent club, but many other teams are already struggling to make ends meet, even with financial help from the EFL

Many clubs, especially in the lower divisions who voted to finish the season are changing their minds due to the heavy financial losses they are incurring each week. How long can clubs survive without any income? How long can the Premier League / EFL realistically wait until they have to draw a line in the sand and void the season? Is this even an option? If the season were to recommence in six months time, should it still be top priority to complete the remaining games from the 2019/20 season?

Premier League to lose £762m if season not completed by July 16th

The Premier League are in discussions with all 20 Premier League clubs discussing a plan to recommence the current season start in May behind closed doors and finish by July 12. There is a “watertight” deal with Sky Sports and BT Sport that would see the Premier League owing up to £762m deal if the season isn’t finished by July 16.

However, there’s no contingency plan for the 72 clubs under the EFL. It is believed that there would be too much strain on the medical services to allow the lower leagues to fulfil their fixtures. TalkSPORT pundit Ally McCoist has said...

It’s wrong” to prioritise one league over another. I’ve got to be honest, I’m against games being played behind closed doors. Games without fans loses just about everything for me. There’s something not right about it. But make no mistake about it, this is a financial decision, people will want to get games finished.

But we’re making rules for some and not for others. Football used to be the same for everyone and now it’s not. It’s saying that it’s more important financially for the Premier League to finish above other leagues. I think it’s wrong.

HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 31st March) Too much strain to complete EFL remaining fixtures

Post by HarryofOz »

There is a “watertight” deal with Sky Sports and BT Sport that would see the Premier League owing up to £762m deal if the season isn’t finished by July 16.
Really, and what if Sky Sports and BT Sport say they will forgo the money? Will everyone involved go to prison? Will they be put to death? Will they be forced to attend a Justin Bieber concert?

How can it be watertight if both sides agree not to enforce it? How can anyone force the Premier League to pay that amount to Sky Sports and BT Sport if they agree not to take the money?
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
DavidH
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 31st March) Too much strain to complete EFL remaining fixtures

Post by DavidH »

HarryofOz wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:01 am Really, and what if Sky Sports and BT Sport say they will forgo the money? Will everyone involved go to prison? Will they be put to death? Will they be forced to attend a Justin Bieber concert?

How can it be watertight if both sides agree not to enforce it? How can anyone force the Premier League to pay that amount to Sky Sports and BT Sport if they agree not to take the money?
Agree with Harry on this. If the TV companies enforced their contracts with the clubs, they would inevitably cause the failure of some/many of them. They would be casting adrift the very clubs that generate their income.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

What's wrong with finishing up the current season whenever it becomes possible to do so? If we can push this season back, certainly we can push the 2020 - 2021 season back, too. We could be back on track by September of 2021 quite easily.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

John in Louisiana wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:28 pm What's wrong with finishing up the current season whenever it becomes possible to do so? If we can push this season back, certainly we can push the 2020 - 2021 season back, too. We could be back on track by September of 2021 quite easily.
My sentiments too John :tup:

At this current stage the season should be completed.

Next season is irrelevant, so much importance on promotion/relegation issues this season.

Play out this season come late autumn & the new campaign could start in January where teams only play each other once bearing mind limited time to fulfil a full fixture list.....just a idea!
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Cant remember where I read this.

Apparently no rule exists that means the premier league have to let the promoted Championship sides join the division, its more a gentleman's agreement.

The only rule is that the sides in the bottom 3 are relegated when the season has been completed.

So from a legal point of view would we even have any sort of case if the Premiership decided nope nobody joins us? They don't have to let us in, no law exists, that's what I read.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
60sUnited
First Team
First Team

Post by 60sUnited »

To be completely honest, in light of whats going on around the World and all the major worries that people have about the situation, including myself, I just can't raise any interest in football matters at the moment, but if and when we kick off again in front of a sell out crowd in whichever division I will say a prayer of gratitude :(
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

60sUnited wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:10 pm To be completely honest, in light of whats going on around the World and all the major worries that people have about the situation, including myself, I just can't raise any interest in football matters at the moment, but if and when we kick off again in front of a sell out crowd in whichever division I will say a prayer of gratitude :(
To be honest, I feel a bit the same.....you are not alone 60's.....
I have 89 year old parents in lockdown over 200 miles away from me.....
Football takes second place for me at the moment...

However, I do not want to put a dampener on our wonderful forum and our fantastic members.....keep 'em coming guys.....this is the best forum ever. I love you all xx
1964white

Post by 1964white »

60sUnited wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:10 pm To be completely honest, in light of whats going on around the World and all the major worries that people have about the situation, including myself, I just can't raise any interest in football matters at the moment, but if and when we kick off again in front of a sell out crowd in whichever division I will say a prayer of gratitude :(
Blimey 60's lets shut the forum down & go into complete misery & depression, right now there's not much pleasure many of us can enjoy.

I understand where you are coming from & I suspect everyone on here probably shares your thoughts on the current circumstances but it doesn't mean we should give up

We'll all say our prayers for now & in the future with the hope that this horrible disease goes away & normal life resumes as soon as possible
60sUnited
First Team
First Team

Post by 60sUnited »

I wasnt trying to put a dampener on the forum, probably just caught me in a moment of me being down. It's a great forum enjoyed by many with some real characters,long may it continue.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

60sUnited wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:03 am I wasnt trying to put a dampener on the forum, probably just caught me in a moment of me being down. It's a great forum enjoyed by many with some real characters,long may it continue.
Good man :tup: don't get too down 60's