The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 20th May) Are the starlets suffering under Bielsa?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Manager
Manager
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 20th May) Are the starlets suffering under Bielsa?

Post by Ellandback1 » Wed May 20, 2020 7:56 am

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 20th May, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Six out of 748 players/members in the Premier League test positive for coronavirus

According to the Premier League, six of 748 players / staff members who took part in COVID-19 testing have tested positive! Those who have tested positive must now self-isolate for seven days and cannot attend their club training ground! Is seven days sufficient?

As reported on Monday the entire Dynamo Dresden squad have been ordered into a 14-day quarantine following two positive tests. Although the Bundesliga (and Bundesliga 2) have recommenced their season, nobody really knows how easily the virus is spread!

What happens if and when players test positive just after a game? It's bound to happen! A two week team quarantine could mean missing out on four games!

Starlet to sign three and a half year deal at Elland Road

Leeds have agreed a fee of £300,000 and have landed striking sensation Charlie Allen from Northern Irish outfit Linfield. The 16 year old will pen a three and a half year deal at Elland Road once the club return to full working operations. Leeds beat a host of Premier League sides to Allen's signature who looks set to go straight into Carlos Corborans U23 squad next season.

Is anyone a little disappointed that the current crop of highly rated youngsters are not breaking through to the first team? Obviously we have seen the odd cameo appearance from Stevens, Gotts and Struik, but with such a wealth of talent being ignored, we could lose the likes of Hasannah and Bogusz who have both been vocal about the lack of opportunities they have been given! Whilst Hassanah refuses to sign a new contract, Polish sensation Bogusz was quoted as saying the following just two weeks ago...

I’m angry that I don’t get a chance. But when I look at development and how it is working here, I can tell you honestly – I feel I’ve developed incredibly for example in terms of endurance. I could jump in at any time, play 90 minutes, take on as much effort as the first team player and there would be no problem.

He went on to say that Leeds blocked the 18 year old from going out on loan this season. Are the starlets suffering under Bielsa?

Ratscoot
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 20th May) Are the starlets suffering under Bielsa?

Post by Ratscoot » Wed May 20, 2020 8:42 am

Morning EB et all

Can’t comment on the Bundesliga as I don’t follow it, but I do think they perhaps did come back too soon but only time will tell.

I do worry about how few of our youngsters seem to be coming through, last few seasons we’ve been one of the top squads so you’d expect some to be pushing through but then again we only have to look across the Pennines how few come through the ranks at Citiee. I heard a couple of years ago that Chelski used their youth squads as part of their business case, in the fact that they take a young kid and a year years later they sell them on for £1m+ a few of those each year massively helps to pay for the academy
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 20th May) Are the starlets suffering under Bielsa?

Post by weasel » Wed May 20, 2020 9:02 am

Ellandback1 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:56 am
According to the Premier League, six of 748 players / staff members who took part in COVID-19 testing have tested positive! Those who have tested positive must now self-isolate for seven days and cannot attend their club training ground! Is seven days sufficient?

As reported on Monday the entire Dynamo Dresden squad have been ordered into a 14-day quarantine following two positive tests. Although the Bundesliga (and Bundesliga 2) have recommenced their season, nobody really knows how easily the virus is spread!

What happens if and when players test positive just after a game? It's bound to happen! A two week team quarantine could mean missing out on four games!
I would imagine that they will be tested again after 7 days and dependant on the result they will be allowed back to training or have to stay isolated for another week and then re-tested. At this stage as the players aren't training together the others will be fine to carry on training. With the Dresden situation I presume the 2 positive tests came after the squad were training together and as such the other players could potentially have caught it.

You would hope the families of the players are observing protocol and being extremely careful about mixing as it is most likely that they would be the ones to give it to the players rather than the other way around. Obviously it would be a nightmare situation if a team did have to go into quarantine and it would give a very tight window to get their matches played which is why I hope they don't drag the start date back any more. I do think they have a bit of wiggle room but not much.

Ellandback1 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:56 am
Is anyone a little disappointed that the current crop of highly rated youngsters are not breaking through to the first team?
Are the starlets suffering under Bielsa?
I believe that if they were good enough they would be playing. We have seen this with Clarke and Shackleton that they will force their way in. It is a massive step up though and none of us know if they are as good as they seem. Don't forget that a lot of our highly rated youngsters have gone to other teams and not really set the world alight.
Senor El Weasel

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel » Wed May 20, 2020 9:21 am

Ratscoot wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:42 am
Can’t comment on the Bundesliga as I don’t follow it, but I do think they perhaps did come back too soon but only time will tell.
The virus isn't simply going away so by Germany coming back quickly they have given themselves plenty of time to deal with situations like the Dresden one where they can isolate the whole squad and not take any chances and still have plenty of time to complete the fixtures.
Senor El Weasel

Advertisment