Garden/Nature Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
gessa

Re: Garden/Nature Thread

Post by gessa »

SaraM wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:02 pm The apology was for the breakdown in moderating, not the personal slurs, but I take your point. I have no wish to speak further to either of the people concerned, but I would rather not be seen in the way they sought to portray me. Obviously I have no control over that, and people will think what they want. I wasn't intending to mention it again beyond the one jokey comment. The sheep are my witnesses!
:tup:
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

gessa wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:00 pm I don't know how to put photos up from my phone
Full editor and preview, attach files, insert inline, post. If I can do it, anyone can!
gessa

Post by gessa »

faaip wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:01 pm No I have no clue from my lap top...I tried again last night to no avail..

The thing is it's like a weed the way it spreads so it's not rare, one neighbour gave me a nickname for it but didn't know the proper name and i forget the nickname, it has silvery green leaves, pink flowers on stems which grow between 12-18" tall. when it dies back the leaves lighten in colour but not by much. I was astounded non of the garden centres knew what it was.
gessa

Post by gessa »

SaraM wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:06 pm Full editor and preview, attach files, insert inline, post. If I can do it, anyone can!

Getting a message. To use this feature you need to allow feature in settings.
Guess what, settings won't open.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

gessa wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:17 pm Getting a message. To use this feature you need to allow feature in settings.
Guess what, settings won't open.
No idea then, sorry. If technology doesn't work first time I'm generally pretty clueless.
gessa

Post by gessa »

SaraM wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:22 pm No idea then, sorry. If technology doesn't work first time I'm generally pretty clueless.
Me too.

Will have to drop it to my mate sometime, he'll sort it I'm sure.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

gessa wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:10 pm The thing is it's like a weed the way it spreads so it's not rare, one neighbour gave me a nickname for it but didn't know the proper name and i forget the nickname, it has silvery green leaves, pink flowers on stems which grow between 12-18" tall. when it dies back the leaves lighten in colour but not by much. I was astounded non of the garden centres knew what it was.
Without any sort of scale ..Saxifraga maybe, some of which is known as London Pride
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

P3280046.JPG
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cheers Sara that works ...That is our local Sparrowhawk sat on the fence just outside the window after finishing off a collared dove main course on our lawn....killed a few birds round here
gessa

Post by gessa »

faaip wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:09 pm Without any sort of scale ..Saxifraga maybe, some of which is known as London Pride
I know that one same sort of height but pink flowers
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

P1010045.JPG
Out of the bedroom window last year, draining the pond at that point so it's a mess (Even more of a mess at the moment but the newts are happy) and more than half the garden not visible here as it goes back another 60-70 foot after the path you can see.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

gessa wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:15 pm I know that one same sort of height but pink flowers
Saxifraga has pink flowers

gessa

Post by gessa »

Our London Pride has purple flowers, same height as the saxifraga, greenery same sort of height too but a lot paler green
Mrs64
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Mrs64 »

SaraM wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:10 pm EC12DC76-11FF-4170-AA70-CE7645EC58DD.jpeg

My hebe was lovely this year.
Looks like an azalea which are part of the rhododendron family Sara
Mrs64
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Mrs64 »

Screenshot 2020-06-21 at 22.56.22.png
Screenshot 2020-06-21 at 22.56.22.png (669.92 KiB) Viewed 1951 times
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Beautiful!
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

99722AA8-37D5-4E53-8F1A-AB7E5E8A7CA0.jpeg
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Is that an orchid of some kind?
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Early purples, I think. Actually quite common in the dales.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

We've, so far, had fledge from our garden -

Wrens - was sat down the bottom drinking tea when a wren on it maiden flight, still with some old downy feathers, had to stop off for a breather on the table, tiny thing about 2/3rds the size of it parents - they nest in our hazel hedgerow
Nuthatches - 4/5 babies lined up on the shed roof at one point
Song Thrush - 3 young fledged we reckon, fun birds to watch hopping all over the garden looking for slugs/worms/snails etc
Blackbirds, we get those every year. They nest in the conifer hedge
and for the first time ever - Goldfinches, we saw two very young birds with the parents in one of the many watering points in our garden
Long Tailed tits, walking down the garden there they were sat on a branch in the rhody