The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 29th May) - Where has Jackie Harrison been?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 29th May) - Where has Jackie Harrison been?

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Friday 29th May, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Where has Jack Harrison been?

Whilst the majority of the Leeds squad returned to training this week at Thorp Arch, there was one noticeable absentee. Ever present Jack Harrison has improved leaps and bounds this term, and has contributed seven assists and five goals over 37 league games - but he didn't return to training until Thursday, later that the other players.

Parent club Manchester City have temporarily recalled their loanees to assess their performance levels. The same has happened with Lukas Nmecha and Patrick Roberts who are currently on loan at the Riverside Stadium, though both those players have already returned to Teeside.

Harrison is available for £8m which seems a very fair price. We must not forget that Leeds have been strongly linked with Liverpool's Harry Wilson this week. The Merseyside Champions elect are having a clear out sale so they're ready to splash out big in the Summer. Wilson's price tag has dropped from 21m to 12m. If Leeds could pick up Wilson for 10m, perhaps Bielsa is having second thoughts on Harrison! If both players were a similar price, who would you prefer? Wilson or Harrison? Bearing this in mind, did we overpay for Costa?

Leeds Managing Director Angus Kinnear delivers his weekly blog about all things Leeds Utd

Angus Kinnear delivers his weekly blog to the Yorkshire Evening Post, and it seems everything seems very positive...

The footballing world has concluded that the time for extended debate has passed and that we are now in a position to return to play. The Bundesliga continue to lead the way in demonstrating that the sporting challenges of Covid-19 are surmountable and the Premier League have voted for a return to contact training and a start date of June 17, with the expectation that the Championship will follow shortly after. The EFL and the FA should be applauded for confirming that the principle of sporting merit honouring relegation and promotion was the solution in the event of curtailment. However, it was always a dramatically inferior alternative to completing the season on the pitch.

At a less macro level, the positive reaction of Blackburn midfielder Elliot Bennett to being one of three players testing positive (out of 1,030 players and staff in the Championship), is to be commended. Demonstrating the positive progress the game is making in managing this horrid disease he commented: “It’s no big deal at all. It’s the people who are seriously ill in hospital that we need to worry about, not footballers who are fit and healthy."

From a Leeds United perspective, this week’s return to small group training was a significant step forward in our endeavours to complete business on the pitch. The mood at Thorp Arch was typically buoyant and whilst the protocols were seriously adhered to, the players were clearly relaxed and feeling confident that they are operating in the safest environment possible.

Whilst our pre-COVID run of five victories without conceding a goal is a solid foundation to build upon, nobody at Thorp Arch is under any illusions of the magnitude of the task that lies before us. The singular nature of this circumstance necessitates an aberrant approach to the unique technical challenges. Initially our performance team have had to manage maintaining players’ fitness remotely as they trained at home. Bespoke individual plans were supplemented with centrally monitored GPS tracking, unwittingly proving that Mateusz Klich was the only man in Britain to cover more lockdown miles than Dominic Cummings.

The coaches have then had to devise individual drills to recapture the players touch and simulate match environments with no opposition and no contact. Our nutritionists have worked to deliver menu plans without the luxury of our training ground kitchen and restaurant and the medical team have had to overlay complex Covid protocols on top of their day to day roles of rehabilitation and treatment. However the quality of back room team we have assembled at Thorp Arch over the last two years, under the leadership of Marcelo and Rob Price (Head of Medicine and Performance), is now truly paying dividends and I am confident we have the expertise and attitude to embrace the complexity and overcome the obstacles.

Off the pitch, Victor has turned his focus away from his lockdown pogonotrophy to managing the, previously unlegislated for, issues around extending loan player contracts and retaining options for permanent signings beyond their original expiry date. Currently we are finding that the majority of clubs are working to the spirit of the game and not seeking to unscrupulously profit from the pandemic. Critically, we will need to extend the pragmatic and committed methodology we are showing in the preparatory phase to how we approach competitive matches themselves. These will be played in higher temperatures on harder grounds and at unfamiliar kick-off times.

Opposition will undoubtedly return from the impromptu break in various levels of fitness and with differing degrees of motivation. This, combined with unknown impact of the removal of crowds, (which seemingly has lessened the significance of home advantage in the resumption of the Bundesliga) is likely to lead to some unexpected results. Fortunately we have the wit and guile of Marcelo to navigate our ship through these uncharted waters.

Leeds Utd tattoo's

Do you have a Leeds Utd tattoo? Is it your pride and joy, or do you regret having it done now? Has it ever got you in any trouble with your spouse or a rival fan? Were you drunk at the time? Any funny tattoo stories you want to share?

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 29th May) Where has Harrison been for the last week?

Post by 1964white »

I've spoken to the tattoo man a few times, he lived in Manchester & was a season-ticket holder in the kop.

Have to say he is a really nice bloke, I haven't seen him for a couple of years, maybe he has moved his seat to another stand within the ground

Personally I detest tattoos, not for me thank you!
gessa

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 29th May) - Where has Jackie Harrison been?

Post by gessa »

He could have been ill.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

I saw Wilson play for Liverpool last summer against Bradford said on here what a good player he is, watched him (on TV) for Bournemouth and he looks very good but that said Jackie has improved immensely since he’s been here and I feel that he gets what it is to be Leeds now so for me if it’s a choice I’d keep Jackie but why can’t we have both as I think we’ll need a bigger squad for the Prem.

Love tattoos, I have a number myself but none LUFC related
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
hector

Post by hector »

Ratscoot wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:59 am
Love tattoos, I have a number myself but none LUFC related
aeroplanes and crustacians don't count Ratty :) :)
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:58 am He could have been ill.
Lets hope not mate
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:20 am Lets hope not mate

Or been in the queue at Home Bargains.
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:20 am Lets hope not mate

I mean a cold or a sickness bug, nothing sinister.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

gessa wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:58 am He could have been ill.
It wouldn't surprise me with all that tattoo ink flowing through his veins
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
gessa

Post by gessa »

HarryofOz wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:58 am It wouldn't surprise me with all that tattoo ink flowing through his veins
:lol:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I wouldn't worry about Jack Harrison not being back yet - City seem to act with class and especially with Pep being in charge I can't see them doing the dirty on us - despite his massive improvement I couldn't see him getting in their first team and their real goal this season is to win the Champions League and he would be ineligible for that as teams have to register players for it and I very much doubt they'd have registered him for it given he would have been out on loan to us when they were sending the list in.

In terms of whether I'd go for Harrison or Wilson and it would be Harrison all day. I wonder if Wilson has already peaked and is capable of improving whereas we have seen huge improvements with Harrison this season and I can see him getting even better. We also know that he can handle playing at Elland Road and the pressure of playing with an expectant/demanding crowd, we also know that he didn't let the boo boys get him down. Many players have struggled at ER due to the pressure and so again there would be question marks with Wilson as playing for Derby and Bournemouth is hardly the same. Would Wilson also be able to hit the ground running at Leeds or would he need the same length of time that Costa needed to fit in properly? Wilson may go on to be a great player but we know what we have with Harrison, he knows the system, he works his balls off and has shown continued improvement. Harrison's performance at Arsenal also showed that he could be even better on the right and he tore Arsenal to shreds and whilst yes his contribution in terms of goals and assists need to improve there have already been lots of promising signs that it will.

Great line from Kinnear about Klich covering more mile than that f*ckwit Cummings.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

weasel wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:26 am I wouldn't worry about Jack Harrison not being back yet - City seem to act with class and especially with Pep being in charge I can't see them doing the dirty on us - despite his massive improvement I couldn't see him getting in their first team and their real goal this season is to win the Champions League and he would be ineligible for that as teams have to register players for it and I very much doubt they'd have registered him for it given he would have been out on loan to us when they were sending the list in.

In terms of whether I'd go for Harrison or Wilson and it would be Harrison all day. I wonder if Wilson has already peaked and is capable of improving whereas we have seen huge improvements with Harrison this season and I can see him getting even better. We also know that he can handle playing at Elland Road and the pressure of playing with an expectant/demanding crowd, we also know that he didn't let the boo boys get him down. Many players have struggled at ER due to the pressure and so again there would be question marks with Wilson as playing for Derby and Bournemouth is hardly the same. Would Wilson also be able to hit the ground running at Leeds or would he need the same length of time that Costa needed to fit in properly? Wilson may go on to be a great player but we know what we have with Harrison, he knows the system, he works his balls off and has shown continued improvement. Harrison's performance at Arsenal also showed that he could be even better on the right and he tore Arsenal to shreds and whilst yes his contribution in terms of goals and assists need to improve there have already been lots of promising signs that it will.

Great line from Kinnear about Klich covering more mile than that f*ckwit Cummings.
Citeh are a victim of their own success. If they bought some kid through the ranks to be one of the finest players ever, and at the same time they bought a player for 100m, they'd be more excited over the 100m player!
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Harrison improved, still unable to provide a final ball consistently. Imo
hector

Post by hector »

we will see if we ever get someone up front who can reach the ball when it is passed, adn then hit the target....

About time JKA had a go
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

hector wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:22 am we will see if we ever get someone up front who can reach the ball when it is passed, adn then hit the target....

About time JKA had a go
If only that were the case🙄😂.
Jka does look like a natural goal scorer though and like yourself hope he gets a chance to prove it
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

hector wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:22 am we will see if we ever get someone up front who can reach the ball when it is passed, adn then hit the target....

About time JKA had a go
If only we had a Lee Chapman.

What a bargain he was.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:05 am Citeh are a victim of their own success. If they bought some kid through the ranks to be one of the finest players ever, and at the same time they bought a player for 100m, they'd be more excited over the 100m player!
They are very excited about their local lad Phil Foden. The trouble though is that there are maybe say 50-100 players in the world that could get into and improve City's side so as a youth prospect you have to be amazingly good to be able to get in their side.

A bit like when we were in league 1 and it enabled us to throw in players like Snodgrass, Johnson, Beckford etc and they could thrive. If we'd have been in the championship still we may not have given any of them the chance as they were probably not ready at that point. The better you get at a club the harder it is for youth or unproven bargain signings to get in the team.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

If you could select a Leeds bargain XI , who would be in it?

I'll start with Chapman, Gradel and Strachan
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Harry Wilson over Jack Harrison any day imo.

No disrespect to Jack but despite his improvement Wilson is the better player atm by a distance.

Wilson over Harrison defo for me.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:47 am If only we had a Lee Chapman.

What a bargain he was.
Chapman certainly was, not the greatest footballer technically but always seem to be on the score sheet in the first 20 minutes, knew where the net was!

In my top three of No.9's, he was a key component of the spine of our team as was Mick Jones in the Revie-era.