1966 World Cup Final on CH4 today

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

1966 World Cup Final on CH4 today

Post by 1964white »

The 1966 World Cup Final is to be shown on CH4 today, coverage starts at 1.30pm.

Apparently the match is to be shown in black & white with replays in colour

I can't recall the match screened in full since that glorious day in English football.

For you young uns, you can experienced England actually winning the World Cup Final something that is unlikely to happen ever again

Of course Leeds United played their part with Big Jack & dear Norm winning their WC medals
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Re: 1966 World Cup Final on CH4 today

Post by Norm »

1964white wrote:

The 1966 World Cup Final is to be shown on CH4 today, coverage starts at 1.30pm.

Apparently the match is to be shown in black & white with replays in colour

I can't recall the match screened in full since that glorious day in English football.

For you young uns, you can experienced England actually winning the World Cup Final something that is unlikely to happen ever again

Of course Leeds United played their part with Big Jack & dear Norm winning their WC medals
Milestone Leon - shame there's been nothing since. IIRC only the players on the pitch got their WC medals originally - Norm didn't actually play in the final even as a substitute but he deservedly got his medal as a squad player sometime this century..

I thought the 1970 side were marginally better overall but who can argue with a winning World Cup squad.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

I'll be recording the programme Norm as it clashes with the racing :hors:

I may post up my match ratings later :lol:
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

I'd love to be able to watch it Leon - I remember coming out of F.W.Woolworths in Wakefield and catching the number 70 bus home to watch the final - funny the little things you remember!
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

I've watched it on DVD.

No doubting the absolute class of the players involved, but the nature of the game so very different to today's style of football.

The physicality and pace of the game has increased exponentially since those days. It's almost like watching a game in slow motion, compared to the pace of the game today.

Still good to watch though.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.