Remember this....

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Remember this....

Post by 1964white »

It gets interesting at the 4.44 time :)

1964white

Re: Remember this....

Post by 1964white »

Anyone want to know the Leeds score :duno:
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

Don't know if I'm being dumb here but I don't get it?
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

I'm not sure but I think Leon means that that programme and others similar are how we used to get football results before todays mass coverage, and Leeds beat Stoke 4-0.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Norm wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:45 pm I'm not sure but I think Leon means that that programme and others similar are how we used to get football results before todays mass coverage, and Leeds beat Stoke 4-0.
Yes the old teleprinter Norm, we've progressed somewhat since those days

John Stiles son of Nobby scored on his debut for Leeds
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

1964white wrote:
Yes the old teleprinter Norm, we've progressed somewhat since those days

There was a quaintness and tradition about it Leon - I miss it in a way, although I wouldn't have got it over here.
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

Norm wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:45 pm I'm not sure but I think Leon means that that programme and others similar are how we used to get football results before todays mass coverage, and Leeds beat Stoke 4-0.
Thanks Norm. I thought Leon was hinting that they somehow screwed up the Leeds result.
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

1964white wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:50 pm Yes the old teleprinter Norm, we've progressed somewhat since those days

If I was at home I used to look forward to the results being spat out by the teteleprinter. If I'd been to a game the whole coach would be listening to the results on someone 's transistor radio.
gessa

Post by gessa »

BobHirst wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:22 pm If I was at home I used to look forward to the results being spat out by the teteleprinter. If I'd been to a game the whole coach would be listening to the results on someone 's transistor radio.
The coach home that first Saturday in December when they made the draw for the 3rd rounf of the FA Cup, was probably the only time there was complete silence.
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

One of the things I remember is that when the one guy (he did it for years on Grandstand/Final Score) read out the scores, if you closed your eyes you could pretty much guess the away team score before he said it just by the tone of his voice.
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

gessa wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:51 pm The coach home that first Saturday in December when they made the draw for the 3rd rounf of the FA Cup, was probably the only time there was complete silence.
The thing was that we were usually in the top 2 or 3 and you were dying to know how how our closest rivals had done.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:07 pm One of the things I remember is that when the one guy (he did it for years on Grandstand/Final Score) read out the scores, if you closed your eyes you could pretty much guess the away team score before he said it just by the tone of his voice.
I remember (I think)....the best score ever....East Fyfe 4, Forfar 5....but on penalties :duno: I think
gessa

Post by gessa »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:07 pm One of the things I remember is that when the one guy (he did it for years on Grandstand/Final Score) read out the scores, if you closed your eyes you could pretty much guess the away team score before he said it just by the tone of his voice.

James Alexander Gordon.

Yes, you always knew when there was a nil coming.
gessa

Post by gessa »

BobHirst wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:13 am The thing was that we were usually in the top 2 or 3 and you were dying to know how how our closest rivals had done.
Those were the days Bob.
Hopefully we'll get to see them again.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:55 am James Alexander Gordon.

Yes, you always knew when there was a nil coming.
By the tone of his voice
Azkal
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Azkal »

whiteswan wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:24 am I remember (I think)....the best score ever....East Fyfe 4, Forfar 5....but on penalties :duno: I think
"East Fife 4, Forfar 5", was what Eric Morecambe used to joking call James Alexander Gordon, Swanny :-D . I believe the score between the two teams actually became a reality a couple of years ago.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:24 am I remember (I think)....the best score ever....East Fyfe 4, Forfar 5....but on penalties :duno: I think
Yes that was a mouthful Swannie
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

With James Gordon, it wasn't just away wins you knew instantaneously, it was every result.
If the home team score was delivered in a high tone it was a home win; if the home team score was on a medium tone it was a draw; if the home team score was on a low tone they had lost. It was really very skillfully enunciated.
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

Norm wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:32 pm With James Gordon, it wasn't just away wins you knew instantaneously, it was every result.
If the home team score was delivered in a high tone it was a home win; if the home team score was on a medium tone it was a draw; if the home team score was on a low tone they had lost. It was really very skillfully enunciated.
I used to enjoy trying to be the anti James A Gordon.
I would read the results using the 'lose inflection' when it was a draw or the 'draw inflection' for an away win etc etc.
I know, I'm very easily amused.
Last edited by BobHirst on Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Azkalwhite wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:41 am "East Fife 4, Forfar 5", was what Eric Morecambe used to joking call James Alexander Gordon, Swanny :-D . I believe the score between the two teams actually became a reality a couple of years ago.
You are correct Azkal :)