Leeds Utd v Luton Town - MATCH THREAD

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Manager
Manager
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Leeds Utd v Luton Town - MATCH THREAD

Post by Ellandback1 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:43 pm

Leeds Utd v Luton Town

Tuesday 30th June 2020 at 7:45pm | Elland Road

Luton Town are the visitors to Elland Road on Tuesday evening as the High flying Whites look to build on their impressive display against the Cottagers last weekend.

Leeds and West Brom have been taking it in turns to top the Championship, with nothing to divide both clubs. Unfortunately for the Baggies, their loss against Brentford at the weekend not only saw the Whites leapfrog them, but have allowed the Bee's to move to third place, and within five points of the West Midlands club. Leeds 3-0 victory has extended their lead between themselves and the play off contenders to 8 points, with only only seven games remaining.

Marcelo Bielsa must decide whether to stick with the same XI that started the game against Fulham, or promote Alioski and the very impressive Hernandez who ran the show in the second half against Fulham. With the fixture list picking up pace up pace, Leeds have seven games remaining over the next 25 days, it will be important to manage Hernandez and his injury through these games. Saturday proved how important Hernandez is to the side and what a difference he can make to our performances. He is still not 100% fit but it's clear he wants to play a big part in the run-in...

I feel a little frustrated in the last week because after the long break I wanted to play and help the team. When we played the last game against Huddersfield I felt good, no problems and when we came back to train at Thorp Arch I felt good, ready to play. But just a week before the first game I had a muscle problem. I couldn't play the first game.

I have a problem in the hammy but nothing serious. It's difficult to manage it because we have a lot of games but I can do this. I know these things can happen and I need to manage it well. Not just me, I need to manage it with the staff, the manager, try to work well to be 100 per cent in the next days.

Obviously I am not 100 per cent but I feel good, I feel I can play and I can help the team. The last decision is for the manager but I know the situation, now it's important to win games. It doesn't matter if I play more minutes or less, if I can help for 10 minutes I'd give everything, if he decides 45 then 45, if 90 then 90. All the players need to get ready to play.

Plucky Luton have moved within three points of safety following James Collins 72nd minute strike at the Liberty Stadium. The Hatters never say die attitude have moved Graeme Jones men move into the top 10 form guide having accrued 15 points from their last eight games (W4 D3 L1), one point more than they picked up from their previous 22 Championship matches. But survival would still be an uphill struggle for Luton, given their goal difference they are effectively four points from safety ahead of their trip to Elland Road on Tuesday night.

Leeds Starting XI:
Meslier, Ayling, White, Cooper, Dallas, Phillips, Klich, Harrison, Costa,Roberts, Bamford

Subs: Maiazek, Berardi, Alioski, Douglas, Struijk, Shackleton, Gotts, Poveda, Hernandez

Metro1962
Ballboy
Ballboy

Re: Leeds Utd v Luton Town - MATCH THREAD

Post by Metro1962 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:13 pm

I do not think Bamford will score in this one but someone else will.:-)

Leeds1000
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Leeds1000 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:23 pm

Bamford hat-trick, you know the one where you pull the rabbit out. :angel:

Same team that started against Fulham. They certainly won't be bossing the possession like Fulham did. Hopefully we can carry on where we left of and bag some more goals. Not sure if Costa will be fit? and i may even be tempted to give Pablo the second 45mins again.

John in Louisiana
Manager
Manager

Post by John in Louisiana » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:35 pm

Leeds1000 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:23 pm

Same team that started against Fulham. They certainly won't be bossing the possession like Fulham did. Hopefully we can carry on where we left of and bag some more goals. Not sure if Costa will be fit? and i may even be tempted to give Pablo the second 45mins again.
That seems most likely. If Costa's not available I wouldn't mind seeing Alioski on again. With 7 games in 23 days any rest we can give Pablo, in particular, is welcome.

Normally a team like Luton would park the bus against us, especially at ER. But I wonder if maybe they won't try and come out and attack since they need points to avoid relegation. Given their GD, they're really 3 1/2 points behind the 21st spot.

I'm hoping they do try and attack.

Irish Ian
Manager
Manager

Post by Irish Ian » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:44 pm

Going to need all our guile to get past what I expect will be two banks of four sat deep, determined to keep their shape and hope to get lucky.

What our side lacks is powerful shooters from outside the area.

Expect us to have 75% possession, 15 corners and lots of frustration. We will need to be patient.

However a win on Tuesday would give us a huge boost going into July.
'We can wait for the next game with serenity'

'I am quite clear in my mind that one has to feel sincere love for those he leads, and if he doesn't feel it naturally, then he must learn how to feel it' Marcelo Bielsa

'Would he kill his granny to win a match?' Bobby Collins

SaraM
Manager
Manager

Post by SaraM » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:56 pm

It's Nathan Jones, not Graeme, so it'll probably be his ridiculous diamond with two up top. Can see Bielsa going all jazz football and overloading one of the flanks, presumably three at the back.

I wonder if NJ has still got that giant picture of himself after he won at Stoke. Did he win another game after that display of hubris?
Why be happy when you could be normal.

Irish Ian
Manager
Manager

Post by Irish Ian » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:28 pm

Last time, including the best and worst of Mr Bamford.

'I am quite clear in my mind that one has to feel sincere love for those he leads, and if he doesn't feel it naturally, then he must learn how to feel it' Marcelo Bielsa

dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:44 pm

Would love to see Poveda get a start to see if he’s up to it. Will be the same team barring injury as Pablo showed he’ll turn the game if needed from the bench and take his seat again when it’s done :)
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:41 pm

Same team and Tyler needs to step up as a 10.

Pablo said he isnt fully fit so he should only come on if urgent.

Bring on Shacks, Poveda, Ali etc for fresh legs but Pablo only if essential.

Ratscoot
First Team
First Team

Post by Ratscoot » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:01 pm

Just win 4-0 will do thanks
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't

John in Louisiana
Manager
Manager

Post by John in Louisiana » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:57 pm

Irish Ian wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:44 pm
Going to need all our guile to get past what I expect will be two banks of four sat deep, determined to keep their shape and hope to get lucky.
Luton need to make up four points on two different teams with only seven games to play. I don't think they can afford to play for the single point. They may start out trying to absorb pressure and counter, but the longer they go without scoring, the more they're going to have to press forward. I give them until halftime before they have to press forward (assuming they don't score by then).

Irish Ian
Manager
Manager

Post by Irish Ian » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:32 am

John in Louisiana wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:57 pm
Luton need to make up four points on two different teams with only seven games to play. I don't think they can afford to play for the single point. They may start out trying to absorb pressure and counter, but the longer they go without scoring, the more they're going to have to press forward. I give them until halftime before they have to press forward (assuming they don't score by then).
They do need points John.

But the way to take points of Leeds is to ride your luck and wait for them to make a mistake.

How many times have we witnessed that this season, especially at home?
Derby, Forest, Wednesday, Wigan, Cardiff.

Byebyegeegee
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Byebyegeegee » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:42 am

On paper the easiest game we have left, top at home against bottom. I know it never quite works out like that but I’ll go for a comfortable 2 - 0 win and another massive step towards promotion. Come on Leeds

BGwhite
First Team
First Team

Post by BGwhite » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:36 am

Irish Ian wrote: They do need points John.

But the way to take points of Leeds is to ride your luck and wait for them to make a mistake.

How many times have we witnessed that this season, especially at home?
Derby, Forest, Wednesday, Wigan, Cardiff.
And last season , this is why as fans we'll never be confident of promotion until it's mathematically impossible to be caught because this is LUFC .

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

WEALLLOVELEEDS
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by WEALLLOVELEEDS » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:58 pm

Byebyegeegee wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:42 am
On paper the easiest game we have left, top at home against bottom. I know it never quite works out like that but I’ll go for a comfortable 2 - 0 win and another massive step towards promotion. Come on Leeds
I agree, I see many who are nervous about what happened last season, but I feel like today we will destroy Luton.
Leeds fan from Argentina!
Football League First Division
Champions (3): 1968–69, 1973–74, 1991–92
FA Cup
Winners (1): 1971–72
Football League Cup
Winners (1): 1967–68
Inter-Cities Fairs Cup
Winners (2): 1967–68, 1970–71

WhiteRose
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by WhiteRose » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:19 pm

BGwhite wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:36 am
And last season , this is why as fans we'll never be confident of promotion until it's mathematically impossible to be caught because this is LUFC .

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk
I cant see a team battling to get out of the relegation zone coming with the game plan to sit back. It can prove to be a good solution to our style of play but it relies on a lot of luck and leeds wasting chances so I think they will have a go - if they score first they have a chance.

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:47 pm

Nervous about this.

Reminds me of Wigan last season.

Everyone expects us to win but Luton are actually 6th in the form table pver the last 5 games woth 2 wins and 3 draws.

Only lost 1 of 8.

Cant take them lightly and with doubts over Pablo the lads need to perform a lot better then 1st half vs Fulham.

rich_leeds64
Manager
Manager
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:59 pm

We have to win just the same as Luton have to win so I can see an open attacking game where our lightning breaks will be their undoing. Even though they have hit a bit of form they are still the worst away side in the division W 4 D 1 L 15 .

Since the restart we’ve knocked off 2 more games and extended our lead over 3rd by a point to 8. If results go our way tonight that could be 11 with 18 to play for.....

Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:30 pm

No foreign streams for this one so only LUTV or ifollow. Hope they can both stand up to the battering their infrastructure is going to get. I'm booked in with Bryn and Tony on LUTV.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!

WestgateRun
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by WestgateRun » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:39 pm

Brentford kick off at 18:00.
They could be breathing down the neck of WBA by the time we start.

Advertisment