The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 2nd July) LUFC Spokesman - don't blame the floodlight

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 2nd July) LUFC Spokesman - don't blame the floodlight

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Thursday 2nd July, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Auf Wiedersehen Kev

So long, farewell, Auf Wiedersehen..... Goodbye!!! Jean-Kevin Augustin has left the building- in fact, he's left the Country. Leeds have decided not to extend his loan period. The same loan period that cost the Whites 3.5m in full wages and loan fee to bring him to Elland Road to play 48 minutes of football, back in January.

What's more - Leeds have an obligation to sign him permanently for a further 18m if they get promoted, though former Chief Football Writer for the YEP Phil Hay believes Leeds will try to wriggle out of the deal. Why on earth would Leeds not have clauses inserted regarding fitness or injury? Have we gone back to the Ridsdale dynasty?

LUFC Spokesman - don't blame the floodlights

Leeds United are not concerned by their floodlights at Elland Road despite Bamford and Costa telling team-mates they missed chances against Luton after being blinded by the glare of the Elland Road floodlights from the West Stand. There are plans for an upgrade the floodlights to meet Premier League requirements should they win promotion. The new floodlights will be 44 metres high and will tower above the West Stand, no doubt removing the chance of any glare.

Bielsa labelled the misses 'strange' after Bamford completely lost sight of the ball and Costa miscued a header from close range. A spokesman said the two incidents were coincidental and no player had complained of it being an issue before. The lights meet EFL requirements and are in full working order. Apparently, Bamford's miss had nothing whatsoever to do with him being a donkey!

Do Leeds need to change Blackburn starting line up?

Over the last three games, Leeds have had 67 shots at goal, 17 of which were on target and have scored 4. Our opposition have amassed 29 efforts, with 9 on target, scoring 3. It's a similar slightly worse statistic if you compare the entire season. Do Leeds need to shaken things up in the line up? What would you do?

HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 2nd July) LUFC Spokesman - don't blame the floodlight

Post by HarryofOz »

So long, farewell, Auf Wiedersehen..... Goodbye!!! Jean-Kevin Augustin has left the building- in fact, he's left the Country. Leeds have decided not to extend his loan period. The same loan period that cost the Whites 3.5m in full wages and loan fee to bring him to Elland Road to play 48 minutes of football, back in January.

What's more - Leeds have an obligation to sign him permanently for a further 18m if they get promoted, though former Chief Football Writer for the YEP Phil Hay believes Leeds will try to wriggle out of the deal.

Why on earth would Leeds not have clauses inserted regarding fitness or injury?

Have we gone back to the Ridsdale dynasty?
Why should we? Should we do that every time we sign a player on a permanent deal?
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 2nd July) LUFC Spokesman - don't blame the floodlight

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning Folks

I wonder if we have heard the last of JKA. And let’s be honest a fit Rolfe was sold on and a fit Nketiah was disregarded in favour of a defensive midfield player masquerading as our No9..

Costa will be relieved to learn the new Premier League spec floodlights are on their way, courier delivery. They will leave them behind the East stand if no one is in...

What would I do? 4-4-2 diamond.

Phillips, Harrison, Klich, Costa in the diamond, Roberts and sir miss a lot up top.

Stop being so bloody predictable.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

I'm starting to get pretty pissed off with the way this club is being mis managed.

Yes we're top of the league but the recruitment process is an absolute joke. Why didn't we just keep roofe? he was a proven goalscorer that worked well in our system. The money we've spent on JKA and Nketiah have negated the money we've received for roofe and we're still left with nothing.

The blame is clearly on Orta and angus Kinnear. They make the right noises but both seem to be pretty s**t at their roles.

We need to mix it up on saturday but we won't unless players are injured. We all know that the players who need to be dropped won't and they clearly have no incentive to play well as they know there is no one else that will replace them even if they don't perform.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Both Bamford and Costa seemed to misjudge the flight of the ball, whether that was due to the floodlights or not I don’t know but no one has ever blamed the floodlights before.
With Forshaw a long term injury, Dallas out, Cooper and Pablo possibly injured and Augustin now gone we’ll be lucky to find enough players to fill the bench!
Anyway why not try Roberts up front for a change, can’t be any worse than Bamford who really has been poor for 3 games now. I know he’s not been great for most of the season (although he has had the occasional storming game) but since the return he seems to have gone backwards.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

I'm pretty sure we've seen the last of JKA whether we get promoted or not.
I don't think his heart was ever really in it coming to us.
I'm sure the club will wriggle out making the deal permanent. They're more likely to go back in for Che Adams.

Just my opinion but if Dallas is ruled out I would bring Douglas in at LB, move Alioski on to the left of midfield, move Harrison to the right and drop Costa.
And play Roberts up top in place of Bamford.
But we all know that isn't going to happen.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

rrfierce wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:31 am I'm starting to get pretty pissed off with the way this club is being mis managed.

Yes we're top of the league but the recruitment process is an absolute joke. Why didn't we just keep roofe? he was a proven goalscorer that worked well in our system. The money we've spent on JKA and Nketiah have negated the money we've received for roofe and we're still left with nothing.

The blame is clearly on Orta and angus Kinnear. They make the right noises but both seem to be pretty s**t at their roles.

We need to mix it up on saturday but we won't unless players are injured. We all know that the players who need to be dropped won't and they clearly have no incentive to play well as they know there is no one else that will replace them even if they don't perform.
He had a year on his contract and I believe that MB told him he'd be backing up Bamford in season. I love Bielsa but if we fail to go up it's down to him and him alone. I don't think we'll fail to go up but I think we'll fail to win the division we deserve.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Orta's job is now to find academy and potential talent. Which I think he's doing well. We've never had a better youth set up. First team is purely down to the man..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:20 am Both Bamford and Costa seemed to misjudge the flight of the ball, whether that was due to the floodlights or not I don’t know but no one has ever blamed the floodlights before.
With Forshaw a long term injury, Dallas out, Cooper and Pablo possibly injured and Augustin now gone we’ll be lucky to find enough players to fill the bench!
Anyway why not try Roberts up front for a change, can’t be any worse than Bamford who really has been poor for 3 games now. I know he’s not been great for most of the season (although he has had the occasional storming game) but since the return he seems to have gone backwards.
We'll be alright, our bench will consist of kids not ready or good enough to play in our first team

Spot the game-changer time again I guess!
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

rrfierce wrote:I'm starting to get pretty pissed off with the way this club is being mis managed.

Wholeheartedly agree mate.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

wilsdenwhite
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by wilsdenwhite »

Floodlights? Hmm. Tuesday was the same old story with the missed chances. That made it 18 games this season we have failed to put away our chances and come away with the win after completely dominating the games. 21 times it happened last season. 39 league games now under Bielsa it has been the same story over and over again. I love Bielsa, who doesn't? The pressing, flowing, fluid attacking football is a joy to watch. I don't blame Bielsa for this barren statistic of failing to put away the chances. The blame lies elsewhere be it some of the players themselves, Orta or ultimately Radz. Bielsa can only work with what he is given. Put Bielsa in charge of Liverpool tomorrow and put Klopp in charge of Leeds and the results would be no different. Similar styles of football, only the personnel differ. Only the quality differs.

Wherever we end up finishing in 6 games time be that promoted or stuck in the championship once again, wholesale changes are needed. Leeds have been a very good team under Bielsa. A really good championship team who on their day most teams must quietly fear, but we are not an outstanding team. When it comes to outstanding championship teams over the last few years only Wolves and Newcastle spring to mind. Both won the title at a canter. Both had strikers scoring for fun and players all over the pitch with huge amounts of quality in virtually every position. We don't have that and we didn't have it last year either.

In my opinion, of the squad we have now only KP, Ben White and Pablo and to some extent Dallas and Harrison would make it into a half-decent side with the right signings around them capable of staying up in a first season back in the top flight. Ben White isn't even our player and Pablo would never manage a full season. If the signings were poor or just too hit and miss as we have seen time and again we'd be down before you know it. That for me is the reality and why we need wholesale changes. Take the team we have now up to the top flight and we will get smashed most weeks. Despite having Bielsa in charge teams would punish our missed chances much more than they have done in the championship. I just don't think some of our players can give any more. They are coached by one of the best coaches in the world and some just make the same mistakes over and over again. Such inconsistency and lack of quality from some players after so long playing under Bielsa and you think well, they will never get any better even in a better quality side. They have reached their limit and it's not good enough. We need to move them on.

I've said before only promotion can bring a higher calibre of player that a coach like Bielsa deserves and then you can vision a fantastic side playing like we do now but with the added quality required to make us a force to be reckoned with, a side which could more than hold our own back in the top flight. We have some unbelievable quality in the under 23's and if the worst comes to the worst and the unthinkable happens this season we will have to turn to some of those players to step up and step into the first team next season along with some fringe players we have seen around the first team who we have seen have the ability, like Shackelton but for whatever reason haven't been consistent starters. So much is riding on promotion and we are odds on to do it. A failure to give everything we've got now and we are in danger of missing out on the chance Bielsa has in my opinion deservedly earned which is to assemble a squad fit for his style of football and show us what he can really do. Quality all over the pitch and the sky is the limit.

If he can get this squad promoted, he deserves every credit due. Keys to the city et al.
|||L|||E|||E|||D|||S|||
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

rrfierce wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:31 am I'm starting to get pretty pissed off with the way this club is being mis managed.

Mate, there was nothing wrong with Nketiah. Had Bielsa actually used him instead of persisting with Bamford week after week, Arsenal would not have been able to recall him and we'd be promoted by now!!!!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Bielsa has got the most out of players like Dallas, Cooper, Ayling etc.

Does that mean if Bielsa leaves, these players return to average?

All three have been awarded new multi million pound contracts this term for the next four or 5 years.

Why weren't the players told to wait until the end of the season to determine our spending?

If we are stuck in the Championship, and these players return to average, there is no way another club will take them on with the wage structure they already have...
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

wilsdenwhite wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:06 am Floodlights? Hmm. Tuesday was the same old story with the missed chances. That made it 18 games this season we have failed to put away our chances and come away with the win after completely dominating the games. 21 times it happened last season. 39 league games now under Bielsa it has been the same story over and over again. I love Bielsa, who doesn't? The pressing, flowing, fluid attacking football is a joy to watch. I don't blame Bielsa for this barren statistic of failing to put away the chances. The blame lies elsewhere be it some of the players themselves, Orta or ultimately Radz. Bielsa can only work with what he is given. Put Bielsa in charge of Liverpool tomorrow and put Klopp in charge of Leeds and the results would be no different. Similar styles of football, only the personnel differ. Only the quality differs.

Wherever we end up finishing in 6 games time be that promoted or stuck in the championship once again, wholesale changes are needed. Leeds have been a very good team under Bielsa. A really good championship team who on their day most teams must quietly fear, but we are not an outstanding team. When it comes to outstanding championship teams over the last few years only Wolves and Newcastle spring to mind. Both won the title at a canter. Both had strikers scoring for fun and players all over the pitch with huge amounts of quality in virtually every position. We don't have that and we didn't have it last year either.

In my opinion, of the squad we have now only KP, Ben White and Pablo and to some extent Dallas and Harrison would make it into a half-decent side with the right signings around them capable of staying up in a first season back in the top flight. Ben White isn't even our player and Pablo would never manage a full season. If the signings were poor or just too hit and miss as we have seen time and again we'd be down before you know it. That for me is the reality and why we need wholesale changes. Take the team we have now up to the top flight and we will get smashed most weeks. Despite having Bielsa in charge teams would punish our missed chances much more than they have done in the championship. I just don't think some of our players can give any more. They are coached by one of the best coaches in the world and some just make the same mistakes over and over again. Such inconsistency and lack of quality from some players after so long playing under Bielsa and you think well, they will never get any better even in a better quality side. They have reached their limit and it's not good enough. We need to move them on.

I've said before only promotion can bring a higher calibre of player that a coach like Bielsa deserves and then you can vision a fantastic side playing like we do now but with the added quality required to make us a force to be reckoned with, a side which could more than hold our own back in the top flight. We have some unbelievable quality in the under 23's and if the worst comes to the worst and the unthinkable happens this season we will have to turn to some of those players to step up and step into the first team next season along with some fringe players we have seen around the first team who we have seen have the ability, like Shackelton but for whatever reason haven't been consistent starters. So much is riding on promotion and we are odds on to do it. A failure to give everything we've got now and we are in danger of missing out on the chance Bielsa has in my opinion deservedly earned which is to assemble a squad fit for his style of football and show us what he can really do. Quality all over the pitch and the sky is the limit.

If he can get this squad promoted, he deserves every credit due. Keys to the city et al.
6 of the biggest games in our history and we have one striker who needs 4 chances to score one, and a half decent yet unproven no 10 in Roberts.
Velotrax

Post by Velotrax »

I'm as frustrated as any fan, but look at it his way, can we afford to go up?
I grew up supporting my local club, Chesterfield, as well as following Leeds, but back in the day C/field would be in the top 3 or 4 of Div 3 as it was then, and drop out of the promotion places at the death, why, because they could not afford to go up, are we seeing this at Leeds? discuss, I know what I think
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

I do fear for the club in the PL. I have no faith in the management regarding getting the quality into give us a chance of survival. They have wasted so much money on crocks or players that Bielsa considers not fit enough or doesn't suit his system. Why o why are players being loaned in who can't make an impact ? We are going for promotion for God's sake ! We have a bench that on some days resembles a youth team with no chance of affecting the game in any way. How we are where we are is somewhat amazing and Bielsa deserves the credit but to be on the verge of promotion with so very few players having 1st team experience is very shortsighted and one that will cost big money . ..if they do get promoted.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

gessa

Post by gessa »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:21 am 6 of the biggest games in our history and we have one striker who needs 4 chances to score one, and a half decent yet unproven no 10 in Roberts.
I wish he could put 1 away for every 4 chances, he'd be on 30 now.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Velotrax wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:26 am I'm as frustrated as any fan, but look at it his way, can we afford to go up?
I grew up supporting my local club, Chesterfield, as well as following Leeds, but back in the day C/field would be in the top 3 or 4 of Div 3 as it was then, and drop out of the promotion places at the death, why, because they could not afford to go up, are we seeing this at Leeds? discuss, I know what I think
All the talk is, if we don't go up we are in a complete mess. We have to go up.
Velotrax

Post by Velotrax »

gessa wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:33 am All the talk is, if we don't go up we are in a complete mess. We have to go up.
Gessa mate, where do you get that info from? I don't trust the tabloids etc, what I stated was from the early 80's before fake news, and it is what I observed at a teenager , many moons ago
gessa

Post by gessa »

Velotrax wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:43 am Gessa mate, where do you get that info from? I don't trust the tabloids etc, what I stated was from the early 80's before fake news, and it is what I observed at a teenager , many moons ago
Phil Hay said as much recently in one of his columns for The Athletic. He is many steps ahead of the gutter press, doesn't get everything correct but gets a good percentage right, as in over a week ago he said we weren't extending JKA's loan but we would still be obliged to sign him, the club were hoping he would pull out of the deal because of personal issues, that is the only way it can't go ahead, if we are promoted.
We don't go up, Phillips is gone, Harrison deal doesn't go through and were stuck with paying Wolves £12m for a very average player who isn't worth half that. Oh and Bielsa goes.