Blackburn Rovers v Leeds Utd - MATCH THREAD

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Blackburn Rovers v Leeds Utd - MATCH THREAD

Post by Ellandback1 »

Blackburn Rovers v Leeds Utd

Saturday 4th June 2020 at 3.00pm | Ewood Park, Blackburn, Lancashire

Leeds have injury concerns regarding captain Liam Cooper and utility player Stuart Dallas for the trip of Blackburn Rovers on Saturday afternoon. Dallas is set to miss out due to a slight hamstring pull, whilst Coopers injury was considered 'nothing more than a kick to the back’ according to Phil Hay. On form Alioski will deputise for the Northern Ireland International whilst Berardi stands by in case Coopers condition worsens. Jean-Kevin Augustins season has come to a premature end. The 23 year old has flown back to Germany after Leeds chose not to renew his contract.

Tony Mobray's Blackburn side have slipped to 10th in the table after back-to-back defeats at Wigan Athletic and Barnsley, denting Rovers play off hopes. They are now five points adrift from a play off place. They will be desperate to try and bag three points on Saturday to keep their play off dreams alive. Rovers will also be without striker Ben Brereton who was sent off in Tuesday night's loss at Barnsley just seven minutes after coming off the bench as a sub.

A win for Leeds will be a massive boost for their promotion chnaces, having only picked up four points in the first three games since the Championship returned. Following the 1-1 draw against lowly Luton midweek, they remain a point ahead of the Baggies who occupy the second play off space and 5 points ahead of in form Brentford who have a +10 better goal difference than the Whites. Brentford face Wigan this afternoon, the Latics players may have extra motivation to get a result given the twelve point deduction heading their way. West Brom will have to wait until tomorrow when then face struggling Hull City.

Leeds Starting XI
Meslier, Ayling, Cooper, Douglas, Phillips, Klich, Harrison, Alioski, Roberts, Bamford

Subs: Miazek, Berardi, Davis, Struijk, Stevens, Shackleton, Gotts, Poveda, Hernandez

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Blackburn Rovers v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

Ewood Park is never an eaay place to go, no doubt another nerve-racking experience for our fans

The first goal is so important, would settle us down & allow us to control the game
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

We can all see the writing on the wall surely.its been written since last year. The stars are aligned, fate has quickly edited its script after recent events. Leeds capitulate with a whimper, finish 3rd. Derby with a late run clinch 6th to set up a repeat of last seasons playoffs, rooney gets them to Wembley where they are undone by forest.

Hopefully the tea leaves are off but I do have a weird talent for these things - a soothsayer some might say
1964white

Post by 1964white »

WhiteRose wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:57 pm We can all see the writing on the wall surely.its been written since last year. The stars are aligned, fate has quickly edited its script after recent events. Leeds capitulate with a whimper, finish 3rd. Derby with a late run clinch 6th to set up a repeat of last seasons playoffs, rooney gets them to Wembley where they are undone by forest.

Hopefully the tea leaves are off but I do have a weird talent for these things - a soothsayer some might say
You've really cheered me up there WhiteRose
onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by onemoreslogan »

Lot of question marks for Leeds in this one- Cooper? Dallas? Hernandez?

Would be nice if they could answer them all and leave with a big result. Gotta believe they will.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Cooper and Dallas havent trained since Luton according to KP but fortunately we havent got a paper thin squad.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:12 pm Cooper and Dallas havent trained since Luton according to KP but fortunately we havent got a paper thin squad.
:rol: :rol: :rol:
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

Cjay wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:12 pm Cooper and Dallas havent trained since Luton according to KP but fortunately we havent got a paper thin squad.
:shock:
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

It’s a must win but Mowbray will park the 11 man bus inside their 18yd box and hope for a lucky break and as we are a very generous club we’ll no doubt give them a couple of chances at least
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by onemoreslogan »

It'll be interesting to see how MB handles the lineup. He's definitely going to have to earn his wages this week.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

If Cooper only got a kick i think he will play? Ali comes in for Dallas, do we move him further forward and drop Costa and move Berardi across to LB? Whilst scoring goals is always our problem, i do feel we are looking vulnerable at the back again. Something during our run of 5 n 0 seemed to be a thing of the past. A bit of aggression from Bera may just ignite the boys, providing he doesn't get sent off.

I keep waiting and hoping for Costa to break free and make me think his pending astronomical price tag is justified. Lets hope the players lace up their shooting boots. Its a simple game really just take the chances created, score more goals than the opposition and you win. Simples!
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

When we get to the edge of the opposition’s box, which we do about 50 times a match, instead of trying an eye of the needle pass which, due to the 10 defenders in the box, very rarely seems to work, why don’t we just have a dig. You never know it might go straight in, it might take a deflection and go in or it might “pinball” around the box and fall to one of our players in a better position and end up in the net - just a thought.

Anyway we really could do with winning this one to keep Brentford at bay - come on Leeds.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:47 am When we get to the edge of the opposition’s box, which we do about 50 times a match, instead of trying an eye of the needle pass which, due to the 10 defenders in the box, very rarely seems to work, why don’t we just have a dig. You never know it might go straight in, it might take a deflection and go in or it might “pinball” around the box and fall to one of our players in a better position and end up in the net - just a thought.

Anyway we really could do with winning this one to keep Brentford at bay - come on Leeds.

I think we'd all like to see more of that.
I believe they're instructed not to shoot from outside the box, unless they think it's a perfectly clear opportunity, Bielsa worked out there's only a 8% chance of scoring, the % increases greatly inside the box.
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

gessa wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:53 am I think we'd all like to see more of that.
I believe they're instructed not to shoot from outside the box, unless they think it's a perfectly clear opportunity, Bielsa worked out there's only a 8% chance of scoring, the % increases greatly inside the box.
except if its bamford.
Peter in Blackpool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Peter in Blackpool »

gessa wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:53 am I think we'd all like to see more of that.
but the problem is that we only have a 4% chance of getting a clear shooting position inside the box
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

The problem is we're too slow attacking unless it's a breakaway. We give the opposition too much time to set themselves while we're piddling around at the back . Can't beat the element of surprise . Bielsa ball looks great when it works but most of the time it breaks down at the edge of their area because they have everyone back by the time we get there. It's so so predictable it's become boring.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

WestgateRun
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by WestgateRun »

Get three points against Blackburn and everything will look much better.
From then on, the cushion of a 6 point lead should see us home and dry.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Peter in Blackpool wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:50 am but the problem is that we only have a 4% chance of getting a clear shooting position inside the box
Not my stats,MB's
gessa

Post by gessa »

rrfierce wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:43 am except if its bamford.
He very likely didn't work that into the equation :)
gessa

Post by gessa »

............Meslier...........

Ayling........Cooper......White.........Berardi

...........................Phillips....................

Harrison..............Klich................Alioski

..............................Hernandez..........

.............................Roberts........