The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 6th July) Comfortable win for Pace setters Leeds

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 6th July) Comfortable win for Pace setters Leeds

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Monday 6th July, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Comfortable win for Pace setters Leeds

Blackburn Rovers lost only their fourth home game of the season as Leeds kept safe distance between themselves and the chasing pack. A good finish from Bamford, and an exquisite free kick courtesy of Phillips put the Whites in the driving seat at half time.

It could have been very different had Rovers taken their chances. Soon after Bamford had given the Whites the lead, Gallagher missed a guilt edged opportunity to equalise. The former England U20 International was clean through on the Leeds goal with only Meslier to beat, but fortunately for the Whites, he dragged the ball wide. Leeds rode their luck again minutes later when Gallacher threaded a ball to Holtby, who struck the post for six yards with Meslier beaten at his near post.

Just after the break Blackburn were back in the game. Rovers were gifted a free kick on the edge of the area. Adam Armstrong took full advantage of the referee's donation, and duly reduced the deficit by one. Leeds refused to get flustered and went searching for the third goal. They were rewarded five minutes later when Klich fired a low drive through a crowded penalty area to beat Walton at the far post. Fulham, Brentford and West Brom all won too.

Leeds do not play again until Thursday when Stoke City are the visitors to Eland Road (5pm KO). Fulham travel to the City Ground (Forest) tomorrow whilst on form Brentford entertain Charlton. The Bees have won 5 on the trot, and have not conceded a goal in any of these games. Douglas or Dallas once the Northern Ireland International returns from injury? Will Leeds be able to keep the distance?

Bielsa's post Match reaction

Augustin has no expectation of playing for Leeds again - Hay

Former Chief Football writer for the Yorkshire Evening Post Phil Hay revealed last night that he had spoken to “sources close to Augustin” and said the player has no expectation of playing for the club again. Sources close to Augustin have told The Athletic that his 48 minute Leeds Utd career is over. Hay wrote...

He has no expectation of playing for the club again and does not think Bielsa has any intention of persisting with him. All that remains is a battle between Leeds and Leipzig as the former try to escape their obligation and the latter hold out for an agreed fee of around £18 million.

German media outlet Kicker continue to claim that if the Whites backout of the £18m deal to sign the former PSG striker, parent club Leipzig will take the West Yorkshire club to Court to recoup their owed monies. Augustin has already cost Leeds £3.5m to cover the loan period / wages for the 23 year old.

Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 6th July) Comfortable win for Pace setters Leeds

Post by Sara »

Morning! Suggests that Bielsa didn't take to him, rather than it being a fitness issue. Is that all the Roofe money wasted on Nketiah and Augustine then.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 6th July) Comfortable win for Pace setters Leeds

Post by YorkshireSquare »

SaraM wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:11 am Morning! Suggests that Bielsa didn't take to him, rather than it being a fitness issue. Is that all the Roofe money wasted on Nketiah and Augustine then.

Pretty much!

Issues seems to be that Orta doesn't bring in the right players for Bielsa's system, not that he doesn't bring in good players. Sounds like we worked hard on both of those deals, but what is the point if the manager isn't going to play them.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

I've been pretty positive about how the club has been since Bielsa came in, but letting Roofe go for want of a new contract still irks me. Failing to replace him properly and wasting his fee on pointless loans just makes it worse.

I understand and respect Bielsa having very particular requirements, but we already had that player in Roofe.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

SaraM wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:11 am Morning! Suggests that Bielsa didn't take to him, rather than it being a fitness issue. Is that all the Roofe money wasted on Nketiah and Augustine then.
Yes should have stuck with Roofe, at least we knew he was fit & an established championship striker
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

1964white wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:25 am Yes should have stuck with Roofe, at least we knew he was fit & an established championship striker

Wasn't fit though was he?

Missed the end of the season for us and injured until 13th September for Anderlecht, injured again since 12th Jan. Missed 14 games so far this season! What would we have said about Roofe if we'd given him a much imporved contract on way more money but he'd only been able to manage 13 games this season?
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Morning all, I’m not sure what the working relationship is between Bielsa and Orta. I think what should happen is that Bielsa identifies a player he wants and Orta’s job is to go out and get him. But it seems what actually happens is that Orta finds any old player that’s available (usually a 2nd or 3rd choice panic option because he failed to get his 1st choice), signs/loans him on exaggerated terms and wages only to find that Bielsa doesn’t actually rate him, wasting millions of pounds in transfer fees, loan fees, administration fees and now, possibly, legal fees in the process. Are they not able to liaise with each other about possible signings?
Douglas or Dallas for left back for me.
6pts would be great from the next 2 games but I think 4pts, a win v Stoke and a draw at Swansea, should keep us in the driving seat.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

I'd say it was more a comfortable result rather than a comfortable win.
Klich fouled for the first goal (IMO), they missed a couple of one on ones and Harrison got extremely lucky when he was dispossessed trying to dribble across our area. I saw no foul on him.
But who cares, the three points is all that matters right now.

I'm please that JKA has no intention of returning to Leeds, his heart was never in it and the fact that RB Leipzig are so keen to sell him tells me a lot about his attitude.
Another complete and utter waste of time.

I still think the club will go back in for Che Adams if we get promoted and if we can't get him I think Andre Ayew would fit our style of play.
Last edited by Chilli D on Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white

Post by 1964white »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:18 am Wasn't fit though was he?

Missed the end of the season for us and injured until 13th September for Anderlecht, injured again since 12th Jan. Missed 14 games so far this season! What would we have said about Roofe if we'd given him a much imporved contract on way more money but he'd only been able to manage 13 games this season?
Sorry Adam, I knew Roofe was struggling with injuries earlier in the season, didn't realised he'd picked up another injury in January :duno: In that case getting rid was a blessing in disguise, shame we have messed up & wasted millions since Roofe's departure
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

1964white wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:25 am Yes should have stuck with Roofe, at least we knew he was fit & an established championship striker
So fit that he only played in 13 of Anderlecht's 29 matches this season.

It would have been good if Roofe had stayed, but he plainly wanted to go. So it is now ancient history, and we only have one fit striker to get behind this season. Why don't we support him. ?
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Seems to me that Bielsa is a very difficult person to get on with and very difficult to satisfy .

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Nketiah is a mystery for me. The lad is a natural goal scorer you could see that in the few games he scored. Imo he deserved more game time. God only knows what went down with big Kev, and why would we agree to a compulsory buy having never seen the lad play? I can't imagine Augustine will want to play for a coach that doesn't want him. I hope it will just blow over.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:18 am Wasn't fit though was he?

The injury in January could have been the result of a heavy tackle or falling awkwardly which he wouldn't necessarily have got playing for Leeds. So to say that he would have missed that many games for Leeds is purely conjecture.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

If its not a Bielsa signing, don't expect any game time. Yes, Augustin was not match fit, but for the first 4/5 games apart from a cameo role, he didn't even come off the bench.

Same goes for Nketiah and indeed Izzy Brown. We could have really done for Izzy over the last 10 games.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:16 am Pretty much!

Issues seems to be that Orta doesn't bring in the right players for Bielsa's system, not that he doesn't bring in good players. Sounds like we worked hard on both of those deals, but what is the point if the manager isn't going to play them.
Orta has bought in Augustin, Izzy Brown and Nketiah.

All these were not Bielsa's choices.

Nketiah in particular was treated appallingly by Bielsa imo.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:38 am Sorry Adam, I knew Roofe was struggling with injuries earlier in the season, didn't realised he'd picked up another injury in January :duno: In that case getting rid was a blessing in disguise, shame we have messed up & wasted millions since Roofe's departure
Mid Feb 19, Roofe was wearing a protective boot.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gandalf wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:41 am So fit that he only played in 13 of Anderlecht's 29 matches this season.

It would have been good if Roofe had stayed, but he plainly wanted to go. So it is now ancient history, and we only have one fit striker to get behind this season. Why don't we support him. ?
I am more than some
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:05 am Orta has bought in Augustin, Izzy Brown and Nketiah.

I don't think that's true but IF it is then Bielsa is giving Orta nothing to work with. A shopping list is only any good if you're not worried what comes back or you actually give a name or two..The idea of Bielsa giving Orta a vague idea of a striker he wants is a strange one.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:05 am Orta has bought in Augustin, Izzy Brown and Nketiah.

They may not have been Bielsa's 1st choice (We know that Augustin wasn't, that was Adams) but you are implying that the club buys players without agreeing it with Bielsa first, which is nonsense. Orta has laid out previously what the process is for the acquisition of players.

1. Bielsa will request a player - position, strengths, character etc.
2. Orta will draw up a shortlist of players that fit the profile.
3. Bielsa will then study all the players on the shortlist in detail, and list his preference in order of suitability.
4. Orta will then move for the players in the order that Bielsa has detailed, with input from Radz with regard to cost and length of contract.

If the first option fails for whatever reason, then Orta will move onto the second preference if he has the time (Dan James :verysad: )

Bielsa has always stated that he has every confidence in Orta, and the process that is in place.

With regards to Nketiah, he was very unfortunate to pick up an injury, just as he was about to replace Bamford in the first team around November time. This set him back a couple of months, and by the time January came around, Arsenal had a new manager who wanted him back.

Bielsa has stated that he was very sad to see Nketiah leave, and he was very impressed with him as a player and a man.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

Chilli D wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:08 am The injury in January could have been the result of a heavy tackle or falling awkwardly which he wouldn't necessarily have got playing for Leeds. So to say that he would have missed that many games for Leeds is purely conjecture.

Could have been but sounds like another niggly leg injury similar to those that have plagued him the last few seasons.