The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 7th July) Leeds set their sights on Celtic star

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 7th July) Leeds set their sights on Celtic star

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Tuesday 7th July, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

YEP Journalist quizzed about Costa's price tag

In a recent Q and A session Graham Smyth was asked whether winger Helder Costa lived up to his £15m price tag. The Yorkshire Evening Post journalist leapt to the defence of the 26yo with the following comments.

I don’t think he’s lived up to the price tag, but there have been positives in his play that can’t be overlooked. He’s a great dribbler of the ball; his pace is very useful on the counter-attack. I don’t think we’ve seen enough end product yet, not by a long shot. But Bielsa evidently likes him a lot.

This is Costa’s worst season statistically in the Championship as he has only scored three goals and provided four assists compared to his 2016/17 season when he scored 10 goals and provided eight assists and then his 2017/18 season when he scored five goals and provided six assists.

Will Costa be able to cut it in the Premiership? Did Leeds overpay for the winger? Have we seen the best of him yet?

Leeds set their sights on Celtic star

Leeds Utd are being heavily linked with Celtic star Odsonne Édouard. The 22 year old forward has become one of the hottest properties in Europe after netting 28 goals in 45 appearances this term. Hoops boss Neil Lennon will be desperate to keep his best player at Celtic Park and has slapped a £40m price tag around the neck of his prized asset. The 22 year old French youth international has scored 61 goals at just under a goal a game since arriving in Glasgow from Paris Saint-Germain in 2018.

Klich - I don't feel tired yet

Leeds Midfielder Mateusz Klich has been talking to the Yorkshire Evening Post about team fitness levels as the Championship finale draws closer.

I feel good. When you keep winning games and you are in first place you don’t really feel tired. You want to play the next game after the next game and I don’t really feel tired yet. I am probably going to feel it after the season. It’s going to be a very short break and I will need to recharge my batteries but thanks God I feel okay. I don’t have any injuries so I hope I can play as much as I can. It’s a hard achievement to be fair, playing two whole seasons in the Championship is 92 league games. It’s very demanding, very physical and before Leeds I never thought I would be able to do it. But I am okay, and it’s doable.

I’m pleased because it ended up in the goal and that’s important for me. It wasn’t the best strike in my life but a goal is a goal and we won. That’s the thing with our style. We always play the same football, even if we are winning, even if it’s a close game like one-zero, we still go forward. A couple of times we got punished for it but we are not going to change and this is the way we play.

I enjoy it a lot and it allows me to get high up on the pitch and press high. That’s very important for us. After the last game, I was saying to my parents and my girlfriend that I cannot play worse than I did against Luton. I wanted to play better and I wanted to score a goal finally because it’s about time. We all played good, they were very hard conditions, the pitch wasn’t great but we didn’t want to use that as an excuse.

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 7th July) Leeds set their sights on Celtic star

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning Folks.

Costa, always does better with room in front of him. First season under Bielsa too. He will grow.

Celtic player, let me be the first to claim he is playing in a poor league so all his goals, assists etc mean absolutely nothing, as they have been scored in Scotland, which is apparently on a par with the Boys Brigade league on the Faroe Islands. Bit if Bielsa LIKES him that is Ok.

Klich needed a game as he was struggling. Looked like he was going to get red carded but calmed down a bit.
Flukey goal but if you dont shoot they dont go in.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 7th July) Leeds set their sights on Celtic star

Post by Byebyegeegee »

I don’t dislike Costa his speed and his dribbling ability are great assets to have but he, and Harrison for that matter, as has been said many times, need to work on their final ball and finishing, £15m is a lot of money but could be worth it if he can improve in that aspect of his game.
The French lad’s scoring statistics look awesome but imo these days the Scottish Premiership’s standard of football is barely even Championship standard, other than the Old Firm most of the teams are Championship at best, even league 1 standard. With all the other money commitments we have I can’t see Radz forking out £40m for an unproven (at Premiership level) player.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Celtic may cut it in the Championship, Rangers if they have money could to. The rest are all league 1 teams and lower..Ivan Toney is probably more impressive scoring 26 in 39 against similar defences but on a poorer team than Celtic..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Morning!

Had a look on Celtic Noise, can't find anything about Édouard on there.

Define a £15m player; at this level, or at prem level? In the championship you'd expect someone with that tag to hit the ground running and tear it up, which Costa hasn't. At the level above, if he develops and improves over 3 or 4 seasons and becomes an integral player, then yes, he'll have proved his value. Or maybe the whole idea of measuring players against their price tags is flawed, if not actually repugnant.

Go Klichy!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Not saying he's not good, can't tell that till I've seen him play, just the stats don't mean much
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Didn't we sign Viduka from Celtic.

Wow, what a player he was....
billysboots
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by billysboots »

If we do decide to buy I hope Marcelo has seen him play and given his blessing, we don’t want another Eddie/Kev scenario.
There Is Only One United.
billysboots
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by billysboots »

Celtic fans were very annoyed when Viduka left them for us.
There Is Only One United.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

That is where the problem lyes, Proven costs money, a punt on someone costs much less .

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Kalvin & Barry in the Championship Team Of The Week

Screenshot 2020-07-07 at 11.55.51.png
Screenshot 2020-07-07 at 11.55.51.png (249.96 KiB) Viewed 2860 times
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Stronger league back then with Aberdeen a properly strong Rangers and Celtic and a couple of other goodish team..one of the Dundee's and one of the Edinburgh sides would give it a go too
gessa

Post by gessa »

Costa is a poor player imo,showing the odd glimpse isn't good enough, especially for that money.

Klich is a model professional, really like his attitude.

No way will be spending £40m on one player.

Infact, doubt we'll spend £40m on the whole squad.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:47 am Costa is a poor player imo,showing the odd glimpse isn't good enough, especially for that money.

Klich is a model professional, really like his attitude.

No way will be spending £40m on one player.

Infact, doubt we'll spend £40m on the whole squad.
We're skint mate
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

But we won't be if promoted
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

brentford 0 CHARLTON 1
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

1-1
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

1964white wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:21 pm We're skint mate
I don’t think we are. We’ll spend 70m plus in the window that will include our loanees like Harrison Costa and Meslier
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..