The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 9th July) - West Brom and Brentford results put pressure back on Leeds

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 9th July) - West Brom and Brentford results put pressure back on Leeds

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Thursday 9th July, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Pressure firmly on Leeds

The pressure is firmly on Leeds to pull three points out of the bag against the Potters this (early) evening. We have seen West Brom, Brentford and Fulham all pile the pressure on the Whites with back to back victories, pushing Leeds into second place. In the unlikely event that Leeds lose against Stoke, they would fall outside the automatic places for the first time this season if Brentford were to overcome Derby at Pride Park on Saturday lunchtime!

The Bees are the in form team of the Championship having won six on the trot, and only conceded once. They have three prolific scorers with 54 goals shared between the trio this season. It's difficult to see them losing! Leeds destiny in in their own hands. If they continue to win, it doesn't matter what the competition do, they'll go up as Champions, but do the Whites have the firepower to keep winning?

Since they won promotion back to the Championship in the 10/11 season, Leeds have averaged 9.2 points over their last nine games. Even under Bielsa last season, they only managed 10. They have already amassed seven points from the first four games since lockdown. Realistically, how many points do Leeds need for automatic promotion?

Leeds have a 94% chance of automatic Promotion

Data analysts at InfoGol have calculated that Leeds have a 94% chance of automatic promotion compared with West Brom with 71% and Brentford just 31%. InfoGol have used complex data sets, historical results and fixture lists to work out the most likely
conclusion. They claim that if the rest of the season was played out 100 times, Leeds United would finish in the top two on 94 occasions.

What changes would you make to the Leeds Line up this evening?

Leeds kick off against Stoke this evening at 5pm. If you were the gaffer, what changes would you make to the starting line up?

HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 9th July) Pressure firmly on Leeds

Post by HarryofOz »

The pressure is no

I agree, we are going up

None
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 9th July) Pressure firmly on Leeds

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning Folks.

Our last five games are against sides with decent records against us this season.

Swans,( one of the few who came to EL this season with attacking intent) Potters and Charton all beat us while Derby stole a point from us.

So not the easy run in that we were talking ourselves in to during lockdown.

Bit if you want the prize noone is going to hand it to you. Our rivals are fighting hard and so will we.

I just hope that the hurt from last season will burn bright and along with White, Costa and Meslier, who know nothing of these things the lads will take a masdive step towards to top.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 9th July) - West Brom and Brentford results put pressure back on Leeds

Post by rrfierce »

Nothing has changed - still need 10 points. hopefully 7 after tonights game.

Lets forget the negativity and get behind the lads. We've got this. :ok: :clap: :clap: :clap:
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 9th July) - West Brom and Brentford results put pressure back on Leeds

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Big one tonight, if we win I think we're there, if we lose I worry for us - draw not the worst result.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

The chasing three are pretty relentless at the moment although I don't think Fulham will catch us if we win tonight.
Tonight's game is so huge now and anything less than a win and the pressure will really be on.
Worryingly Swansea have put a run together and are chasing Cardiff for that final play off place.
Derby were really poor last night against the Baggies so I don't hold out much hope of them beating Brentford.

I'd bring Dallas back in for Douglas but that's it.
Pablo, Costa and Shackleton waiting in the wings if needed.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

I'd hate to be going into the Swansea game in third. I do fear for the team if we're knocked out of the top 2. With so few games remaining psychologically it could really hurt and thoughts of last season will certainly return.
On a positive note they know what's required tonight and I'm sure they'll do it one way or another.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Stoke cannot be underestimated. They've become a potent attacking force under O'Neill and are capable of scoring for fun.

Thankfully, we are also capable of nullifying the most capable attacking threats in the league, including Fulham, Brentford and WBA. Our Achilles Heel is the counter attack and I don't think, though I could be wrong, that Stoke are set up like that in the same way, say, Cardiff is.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

mothbanquet wrote:Stoke cannot be underestimated. They've become a potent attacking force under O'Neill and are capable of scoring for fun.

Thankfully, we are also capable of nullifying the most capable attacking threats in the league, including Fulham, Brentford and WBA. Our Achilles Heel is the counter attack and I don't think, though I could be wrong, that Stoke are set up like that in the same way, say, Cardiff is.
We could do with at least a 4-0 to get our goal difference up. To not go up because of it would be devastating.

WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Need a win tonight and I think we will get one. Sunday is the hardest tie left and I would take a draw there.

Not sure how the players will react to playing after everyone else for the next 4 games, do they like to set the pace or match it? I think we may react better with the later
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

I'm a bit fed up of playing catch up to be honest. All our games seem to be played after the other teams have played. Seems unfair to me.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:54 am I'm a bit fed up of playing catch up to be honest. All our games seem to be played after the other teams have played. Seems unfair to me.
Very unfair Swannie

Also Swansea is a very early trip, kick-off should revert to 3pm as it's not being televised anymore, no chance of that happening

FRIGGING SKY TV
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

I'm a nervous wreck already
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

whiteswan wrote:I'm a bit fed up of playing catch up to be honest. All our games seem to be played after the other teams have played. Seems unfair to me.
Once again we are singled out. Why aren't wba playing last any time ? Or Brentford ? Seems the FL are still trying to disrupt us and this their last chance to derail us. Still not right imo.

Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

1964white wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:24 am I'm a nervous wreck already
I'm expecting to need a nervous poo around 4:50pm
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

The tension is becoming intolerable. It is a case of hoping for the best and expecting the worst.
Whom the football God's would destroy first they give hope then snatch it way.
This not only applies to Leeds but also to WBA Brentford and Fulham... their expectation is
that they continue in a good run of form and that results go against their competitors.

However it would be totally wrong to depend on others for favours, cos you don't get favours in
this league, only upsets and unexpected results like Cardiff or Luton.

The only positive step we can take is to win our last remaining games... easier said than done
and that is the only way that we can be assured of promotion.

This time with the lay off of three months and the long rest period there can be no question of
burnout which has been the excuse in the past, if anything bad performances could be put down to
rustiness.

Bielsa has said that the main purpose of football is to entertain and stir up the emotions, and this
run in is certainly providing both nervousness and tension, and I must admit that the spectre of
our failure last year haunts me, and the theme tune playing in my head is Leeds are falling apart again.

And this is where the real battlefield is... in our heads and in the heads of the players. Last year it was
Fat Frank and his Spygate mind games, this year it it it is Thomas Frank who has taken to Twitter
to stoke the flames of psychological warfare... who is modelling his attacks after the manner of
Norwich's Daniel Farke. You might say we were undone by the the three F's

It is Bielsa's job to protect his players from these Psy_Ops and to instill in them a confidence that
they can get the job done. To remind them that they have been in the top two for most of the season.
We have the players and the style of play that have stood us in good stead so far, so let us hold on to
the belief that victory is there for the taking.

As Captain James Kirk said of the Corbomite Maneurver.
"You know the greatest danger facing us is ourselves, an irrational fear of the unknown.
But there is no such thing as the unknown - only things temporarily hidden, temporarily not understood"

If nothing else Captain Kirk also said "Beauty... survives" and we have seen our share of that.

Full Warp speed ahead Mr Bielsa and don't spare the dilithium crystals.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Didn't Villa just play 2 games after us?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I think we may have to win out for a successful season, might get away with a draw. Don't really want to settle for yet another second place or runners up. Second would be a let down for me even if it does mean Premiership football...We have the best team with the best manager and have lead this league for most of the season.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

BGwhite wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:34 am We could do with at least a 4-0 to get our goal difference up. To not go up because of it would be devastating.

I was going to say the same thing, absolutely. If we deliver a hiding, that will be absolutely massive in terms of confidence. Yes, the points are all that matters, that can't be disputed but the manner in which we earn those points can be a big boost in the sprint to the finish line.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Chilli D wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:41 am I'm expecting to need a nervous poo around 4:50pm
:poo: Too much information Chilli :shock: