Swansea City v Leeds Utd - MATCH THREAD

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Swansea City v Leeds Utd - MATCH THREAD

Post by Ellandback1 »

Swansea City v Leeds Utd

Sunday 12th July at 13.30pm | Liberty Stadium

Leeds make the 275 mile trip to the Liberty Stadium on Sunday lunchtime hoping they can replicate the form of midweek. The Whites currently sit top of the Championship, clear of the Baggies on goal difference and three points clear of Brentford. The Bee's significant goal difference means Bielsa's men need seven points from their remaining four games to win Promotion back to the Premiership after sixteen years of hurt.

Bielsa will be hoping that Leeds trip to Wales will be more rewarding than their last one. A fortnight ago, the Whites were the visitors to Swansea's bitter rivals Cardiff City where they lost, even though they dominated for large periods of the game. Back to back victories for the Swans against Sheffield Wednesday and Birmingham have lifted Steve Cooper's men within a point of sixth place Cardiff City. With the Bluebirds facing a tricky tie at Fulham on Friday evening, Swansea will be desperate to get something out of Sundays game to boost their playoff hopes.

Bielsa must decide whether to stick to the same starting XI that destroyed Stoke City midweek, or bring in some new faces to keep the squad fresh. Pablo Hernandez faces his old team whilst Leeds face former loanee Matt Grimes and last Summer targets Rhian Brewster and Freddie Woodman who are on loan at the Liberty Stadium from Liverpool and Newcastle respectively. There are no new injury worries for the Whites whilst Swansea will once again be without Ben Wilmot and Joe Rodon, although Jordon Garrick is available again after serving a three-match suspension.

When the two teams met way back in August the Swans headed back to South Wales with all three points after Wayne Routledge's late goal secured a sensational victory at Elland Road. Routledge struck in the 90th minute to maintain Swansea's unbeaten start under Steve Cooper and inflict Leeds' first defeat of the season. Marcelo Bielsa's side dominated but their finishing let them down. Leeds will be hoping for a reverse in fortunes this weekend which a chance to put some clear air between themselves and second place West Brom following their draw with Blackburn on Saturday.

Leeds Starting XI
Meslier, Ayling, White, Cooper, Dallas, Phillips, Klich, Harrison, Costa, Roberts, Bamford

Subs: Miazek, Berardi, Douglas, Struijk, Bogusz, Shackleton, Alioski, Poveda, Hernandez
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Re: Swansea City v Leeds Utd - MATCH THREAD

Post by Ellandback1 »

It would be nice if Derby can do us a favour on Saturday and beat Brentford.

Fulham have beaten Cardiff so a win for Derby would bring them level with the Bluebirds in 6th place.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Can't see us getting any favours from here in. Only wba and/or Fulham will drop pts because they play each other. If we need help from the position we're in we won't deserve to go up.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

BGwhite wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:53 pm Can't see us getting any favours from here in. Only wba and/or Fulham will drop pts because they play each other. If we need help from the position we're in we won't deserve to go up.

Yep

Lets own this promotion race from now on.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Swansea seriously in the battle for a play-off spot. They will go for a win rather than just sitting back, which will suit us.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

A win at Swansea would be fantastic but because, on paper, it is the hardest game we have left and given that we can still afford a loss and a draw I think a draw would be acceptable. I know Bielsa would never go out to get a draw but if they score 1st....
Then we can save the loss for the last game of the season when we are safely promoted and give one of our old favourites, Lee Bowyer, a helping hand 😉
Peter in Blackpool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Peter in Blackpool »

What a crucial game for both sides....yet incredibly sky sports have dropped the game in favour of birimingham v stoke.....beggars belief
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Expect a 5 - 3 - 2 from Swansea tomorrow.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

We owe them for earlier in the season, but Swansea have tripped us up before and not just this season. They've also had a couple of wins under their belt going into this one.

That said, we're a better team now than the last time we faced off, and they're not. Our lads are playing for the title, not just for the autos. If we win this, I'm going out to buy the champagne and stick it in the fridge. Maybe it'll be needed for another reason yet but I reckon a 3-1 win to us, and cork-popping on standby.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

A big win for Big Jack
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

mothbanquet wrote:We owe them for earlier in the season, but Swansea have tripped us up before and not just this season. They've also had a couple of wins under their belt going into this one.

That said, we're a better team now than the last time we faced off, and they're not. Our lads are playing for the title, not just for the autos. If we win this, I'm going out to buy the champagne and stick it in the fridge. Maybe it'll be needed for another reason yet but I reckon a 3-1 win to us, and cork-popping on standby.
Now now moth, counting chickens & all that Image

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Nice to see a Jack Charlton tribute topic on Seansea's Planet Swans forum
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

BGwhite wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:05 am Now now moth, counting chickens & all that Image

It'll come in handy one way or another, mate. :verysad:
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

I would bite your hand off for a dull 1-0, but i don't think it will be. Swansea will be a completely different proposition to a poor and devoid of inspiration Stoke. Swansea will take it to us and give us more to think about defensively.

The lads are back in their stride and the confidence is flowing again. Every reason to think we can get a result.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

So we beat Rovers 3-1 and with a little bit of luck Rovers could have beaten WBA 3-1
But it ended as a 1-1 draw. With WBA still to play Fulham I think they are going to fade and
falter and Brentford may snap up second place... a sort of consolation prize because Leeds
with their present form will steamroller their way to the top of the league as champions.

Did you see Bilic wrestle the Rovers player for the ball when it went into touch, and got a yellow
card for his troubles. It was so undignified and shows something of his frazzled mental state.
If the manager looses it, then the players are sure to follow.

I could never imagine Marcello behaving in such an uncouth and agitated manner. His response
to pressure is to squat down and contemplate the greeness of the grass, and when viewing the neatness
of it, will ponder how he can pay a compliment to the groundsman, during his upcoming press conference
after Leeds have racked up another victory.
mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

I will forgo my usual 3 - 1 Leeds win and predict a 9 - 2 to the Lids.
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by onemoreslogan »

rab_rant wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:26 pm I could never imagine Marcello behaving in such an uncouth and agitated manner. His response
to pressure is to squat down and contemplate the greeness of the grass, and when viewing the neatness
of it, will ponder how he can pay a compliment to the groundsman, during his upcoming press conference
after Leeds have racked up another victory.
Good stuff Rab! :lol:

Not much help with the chasers today. We simply have to help ourselves. Focus and win. Focus and win boys.
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

I'm going 1-1

Brewster and bamford
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

rrfierce wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:24 pm I'm going 1-1

Brewster and bamford
Brewster's an impressive talent, to be sure but inexperienced. I think we'll have his number.
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

mothbanquet wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:23 pm Brewster's an impressive talent, to be sure but inexperienced. I think we'll have his number.
Hope so! He always seems to score at the moment