The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 13th July) Last gasp goal edge Leeds closer to Premiership

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 13th July) Last gasp goal edge Leeds closer to Premiership

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Monday 13th July, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road.

Last gasp goal edge Leeds closer to Premiership

Big Jack enjoyed the best seat in the house yesterday lunchtime, as Leeds edged ever closer to the Premiership. The Whites last trip to Wales three weeks ago had ended in defeat, and Bielsa's men were determined not to let the same happen again for their outing to the Liberty Stadium. The game itself was anything but a classic. Although the Whites had the lions share of the chances, few could have grumbled if the game had finished goalless.

As the Swans began to tire in the last half hour, the game opened up. Swansea on loan keeper had to be at his best to keep out Bamfords diving header from point blank range. The stalemate was broken on the cusp of second half injury time. A Swansea attack was diffused, and Leeds broke clear down the right with Ayling. His eventual cut back (after good work from Klich and Costa) found Hernandez. Even though the ball was beyond the Spanish star, he was able to take a touch, turn, swivel and shoot as he guided the ball past the helpless Woodman.

The significance of the goal was plain to see by all. Whilst LUFC commentator Bryn Law was having kittens, the veteran magician was being mobbed by all and sundry. Leeds need a maximum of four points from their remaining three games. Brentford have kept their 100 percent record intact since the league restarted three weeks ago, chalking up six wins in a row. West Brom draw at Blackburn heaps pressure on Slaven Bilic's team, with the Bees only three points behind them! Leeds are three points clear of West Brom and 6 points clear of Brentford with three games / nine points up for grabs.

Post match reaction

Swansea head coach Steve Cooper:
We felt comfortable in the game. They probably had a couple more clear chances than we did, but I thought we got into as many good areas as them. We're really disappointed to concede like we did that late on. It's a tough one to take, but we've quickly got to get over it. There are still points to play for. Whether we had drawn or won today, we still would have had to pick up points in the remaining games.

There were lots of good bits from the performance. I'd have liked us to keep the ball a bit more if I'm honest. I felt like a set-piece might decide it, whether it was for us or them. Both teams set up tactically well so for them to get through at the end is obviously disappointing.

Leeds head coach Marcelo Bielsa:
The match was very close with only a few chances. As the match progressed our possibilities grew. We deserved to score in the last 30 minutes and get what we got in the end. I cannot enjoy this yet. The only thing I can enjoy is the last objective, if we get it.

More than feeling what we feel, we are more relaxed because we are taking the steps we had to. Of course, when you score at the end it's a higher feeling, emotion. The bigger emotion, we didn't get this yet.

HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 13th July) Last gasp goal edge Leeds closer to Premiership

Post by HarryofOz »

Nicely tucked away by Pablo

So tantalisingly close the confirming promotion
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 13th July) Last gasp goal edge Leeds closer to Premiership

Post by BGwhite »

Just watched the highlights again just to make doubly sure we won yesterday and yes we did !
The reaction from Bryn Law sent shivers through me.
The composure from Pablo is the difference between 1 and 3 pts . I can't think that any of our other players would have tucked that goal away like he did...thank God he was in the right place at the right time.
Thank you for my early Birthday present Pablo , now to push on a seal promotion this week and even win the league outright !!!!
Championys !!! :scarfe2: :scarfe2: :shirtw: :shirtw: :cup :cup :cocktail: :cocktail:
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

love how he megs the defender. that finish was super accurate to beat the keeper like that
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Anyone else finding their sleep patterns seriously affected by these wins?
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Also, for all Ayling's faults in that game, you can see he's busting every sinew in his body to drive forward in the run leading up to the goal. We don't demand perfection. We demand that grit and determination. And Ayling delivered.

You can hold your head up high for that hard work alone, my son. Truly well done.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

mothbanquet wrote:
Also, for all Ayling's faults in that game, you can see he's busting every sinew in his body to drive forward in the run leading up to the goal. We don't demand perfection. We demand that grit and determination. And Ayling delivered.

You can hold your head up high for that hard work alone, my son. Truly well done.
Absolutely
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

mothbanquet wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:23 am Also, for all Ayling's faults in that game, you can see he's busting every sinew in his body to drive forward in the run leading up to the goal. We don't demand perfection. We demand that grit and determination. And Ayling delivered.

Indeed, and it wasn't just Ayling. How many games have we won this year due to superior conditioning and greater desire?

I love these guys. Every one of them gives his all every minute of every game.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Imagine what this forum will be like if and when we clinch promotion...
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Chilli D wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:27 am Imagine what this forum will be like if and when we clinch promotion...
I imagine we'll start seeing some new names.......... :) :)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I have 4 new band wagons ready to go ...On a side note I'm worried for 64 and his polls if we double those doing them..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

BGwhite wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:49 am Just watched the highlights again just to make doubly sure we won yesterday and yes we did !
The reaction from Bryn Law sent shivers through me.
The composure from Pablo is the difference between 1 and 3 pts . I can't think that any of our other players would have tucked that goal away like he did...thank God he was in the right place at the right time.
Thank you for my early Birthday present Pablo , now to push on a seal promotion this week and even win the league outright !!!!
Championys !!! :scarfe2: :scarfe2: :shirtw: :shirtw: :cup :cup :cocktail: :cocktail:
Happy birthday BG
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mothbanquet wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:23 am Also, for all Ayling's faults in that game, you can see he's busting every sinew in his body to drive forward in the run leading up to the goal. We don't demand perfection. We demand that grit and determination. And Ayling delivered.

That lunge-busting run from Ayling was one of the reasons why we won the match

Still the best wing-back the championship
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:58 am I have 4 new band wagons ready to go ...On a side note I'm worried for 64 and his polls if we double those doing them..
No need to worry about me Faaip
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Great win yesterday and as Joe from ‘All Leeds TV’ would have it I’m absolutely buzzing.
Due to a prior commitment I only saw the 1st 15 minutes of the game (probably just as well as I dint think my nerves would have been up to watching the whole game) but seeing the highlights I have to agree that that run by Ayling so late in the game was utterly fantastic.
I’m not wanting to get at Bamford at all because I’m sure he will have run his socks off and done his non-stop closing down etc. as usual but surely he had to score from those two gilt edge chances, especially the header. But on both occasions he seemed to hit the ball straight at the goalkeeper. He needs to take a leaf out of Pablos book and try and hit the ball where the goalkeeper isn’t.