Is history repeating itself. ? How very similar to yesteryear.

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Is history repeating itself. ? How very similar to yesteryear.

Post by BGwhite »

http://rightinthegarykellys.com/is-hist ... ds-united/

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

rab_rant

Re: Is history repeating itself. ? How very similar to yesteryear.

Post by rab_rant »

It comes as no surprise to me that superstitions, signs and omens. sprinkled with
a good old smattering on numerology is used to convince ourselves that success will
be ours.

One hundred games managed for Bielsa in a centenary year. I don't see this as being
relevant, but it is another straw to grasp at. It is a case of apophenia where we seek
out patterns and see significance in them, and then draw conclusions and predict the
future from them. For example the aged midfielders Collins and Strachan who in their
30's helped gain Leeds promotion, if that is true then the same must hold true for
the midfield maestro Hernandez... we look for patterns from the past and apply them
to the present, and hope that history repeats... and oh how sweet it tastes if it comes true.

Then again if we are looking for patterns then the fading away of last season which
was attributed to burnout is something that sows the seeds of niggling doubts in our
collective subconscious, and we enter every game with fear and trepidation...
When you believe in things that you don't understand then you suffer... superstition ain't the way.

You can find patterns from the past that will reinforce both success and failure, but is this really
what we should base our hopes and dreams upon. If we succeed, then the positive omens have all
come true. If we fail, then all the previous negative patterns predicted it.

So how should we view the last 3 games. Personally I would look at things like form, injuries and suspensions
of ourselves and also the opposing teams, coupled with the quality and standing of the remaining opposition...
and also what the bookies think of the odds of us being promoted. Nothing to do with mystical numbers
from the bygone past, but rather based on probability and cold hard facts. And often we find ourselves
confounded by the unexpected results that we never dreamed would happen (Luton & Cardiff)

Sure we will take comfort in thinking that the planets are aligned in favour of Leeds, and trumpet the fact that we
saw the end result by gazing into a crystal ball, but these assertions most likely come from an overactive imagination.

Promotion I think will come from hard graft, skill, dedication, and cohesion within the team. Those are the things
that can be measured, and are also the things that have taken us to the top of the table, and not any dependance
on luck or omens. (1 loss 1 draw and 9 wins from the last 11 games with an xg of 2.5 should give a basis for hope)

Rab "pissing on everyones parade" Rant
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Cannot wait to read your conclusion rab,
If only somewhat premature of me I'd say it should be a blast !
Thanks pp.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Yes my username suggests history will repeat itself

I was there to witness the start of our fortunes under the astute Don Revie in 1964

56 years later my dreams are about to come true once again :-D
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

1964white wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:03 am Yes my username suggests history will repeat itself

I was there to witness the start of our fortunes under the astute Don Revie in 1964

Do you feel it in your waters, or is there a more substantial reason for your optimism,
if so please enumerate.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Blimey Rab, apophenia! Now there’s a word I must remember next time I’m having an in depth philosophical discussion down at the local.

I hope, like before, we see promotion as only the 1st step to more success rather than being the ultimate goal in itself.

I’ve said it before that to only stay in the Premiership for a couple of seasons, perhaps just avoiding relegation each time before eventually returning to the Championship, like Huddersfield, Norwich and the other yo-yo clubs seem content to do, in my opinion should not be construed as success for this club. We really do deserve more than that!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

rab_rant wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:13 am Do you feel it in your waters, or is there a more substantial reason for your optimism,
if so please enumerate.
No reasons required Rab although Marcelo is the major reason

I've posted since day one of this season we'd win this league

:celeb:
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

If it just depended on skill and hard work then we would succeed every time.

Of course there are many unknown variables which cannot be controlled, and this is why people look for omens.

It actually seems to me more superstitious to try to exclude the mystical, based on a blind belief that rationality can explain and give us control over every aspect of life. The irony!
WestgateRun
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by WestgateRun »

I hope this part of history from 50 years ago will not repeat itself:
https://www.wsc.co.uk/stories/14223-how ... pty-handed

Note the state of the pitches they had to play on, back then.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:31 pm Blimey Rab, apophenia! Now there’s a word I must remember next time I’m having an in depth philosophical discussion down at the local.

Down the pub you could also say that because of our current league position you have been suffering from priapism
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

rab_rant wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:11 pm Down the pub you could also say that because of our current league position you have been suffering from priapism
Ooh - I had to look that one up .... and now I wish I hadn't.

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the game against Barnsley in April 1990, when we were top of the league with three games to play, and we got beat 2-1, meaning we had to win our last two games to go up (which we did). Apophenia ?? - pah, is what I say.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

1964white wrote:Yes my username suggests history will repeat itself

It's guys like you and all the thousands of fans who are being denied this chance to be there in person when hopefully promotion is realised that I really feel sorry for. Following them everywhere isn't a cheap hobby and I take my hat off to each and everyone who spends their hard earned or pension in some cases supporting this club. Take a bow 64 and with just a tinyist bit of luck the next time you go will be to see them back where they belong. Well done Sir !

Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

Gandalf wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:51 pm Ooh - I had to look that one up .... and now I wish I hadn't.

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the game against Barnsley in April 1990, when we were top of the league with three games to play, and we got beat 2-1, meaning we had to win our last two games to go up (which we did). Apophenia ?? - pah, is what I say.
I didn’t want to mention it, it still annoys me to this day.
We battered them and got mugged ( pretty much like we do to most teams we drop points against)
Would have gone the whole season unbeaten at home.
Barnsley have upset us a few times over the years, hopefully this time we’ve got enough about us to deal with them.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Gandalf wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:51 pm Ooh - I had to look that one up .... and now I wish I hadn't.

Taking a taxi to the airport in 2012 and I was discussing with a mate would Spain get through to
the finals of the Euros. He said lets toss for it (random chance 50/50) He randomly pulled a 1 Euro
coin from his pocket and without looking at it said, heads they don't make the finals, tails they win the final.
He flipped it, and it came down tails which had the number 1 euro embossed on it.

Hmmm... Spain are going to be number 1. and tails meant they would win. I asked him to turn the coin over
and he did, only to find that that side had the head of Juan Carlos the king of Spain embossed on it.
(Had he recently been on holiday in Spain?) Did that increase the probability he had Spanish coins in his pocket?

Was this the Universe speaking to us??? The taxi ground to a halt and there was a queue of cars in front of
us, and we discussed the likelihood of the event that had just happened, and decided that we needed more
confirmation that Spain would win the Euros. As the traffic pulled away it was revealed that the registration
of the car in front of us had a "E" Vehicle registration plate for Spain. Bingo!!!
Lets back the mortgage on Spain winning the Euros

The UEFA Euro 2012 tournament was co-hosted by Poland and Ukraine. Spain defeated Italy 4–0 in the final
and I didn't have a single bet on it. Louis Pasteur said that chance favours the mind prepared, and if your mind
is tuned in to seek patterns in random information, then you will see significance in the toss of a coin,
the number 1 and the registration plate of a car.

But the real crux of the matter is if you have the courage to act on the fanciful and vain imaginations of your mind.
If you gamble on your hunch and win, then the result is unparalleled euphoria, and if you loose you wonder how
on earth you could have been so stupid.

It would be interesting to hear if anybody has had signs or omens that Leeds will be promoted as champions.
Think about it for a moment... has the universe been speaking to you??? Take a random coin from you pocket
and flip it and see what it tells you, open a book at a random page and let it speak. Dial a random number in
Barnsley or Derby and listen to what the person has to say to you. Google Barnsley or Derby and see what
results you get. Ask Alexa or Siri if Leeds will be champions.

Last edited by rab_rant on Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

No, no apophenia for me as far as Leeds United are concerned. Priapism well that’s a different matter 😉
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

THE only reason for promotion this year over other attempts is simple..I changed my user name on waccoe for this season, first time since joining. Commandeering Sexton Blakes nom de plume over a Tool track...It's soooo obviously that, nothing to do with Bielsa or the boys
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

BGwhite wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:59 pm It's guys like you and all the thousands of fans who are being denied this chance to be there in person when hopefully promotion is realised that I really feel sorry for. Following them everywhere isn't a cheap hobby and I take my hat off to each and everyone who spends their hard earned or pension in some cases supporting this club. Take a bow 64 and with just a tinyist bit of luck the next time you go will be to see them back where they belong. Well done Sir !

Thanks BG

My bank account is bulging after the last four months, rather be spending it tbh.

The hurt & disappointment is not watching Leeds live, viewing on the telly/laptop is just a consolation for me

Oh to be in the away end at Swansea celebrating our victory with my Leeds pals, the last home game of the season v Charlton would have been very emotional
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

This history repeating itself is all tosh.

But did you know that.

In 2003 - 2004 the year we dropped out of the Prem. A pretty nasty Corona virus ( SARS) spread from China.

Leeds were suffering Severe Acute Relegation Syndrome we joked.

Fast forward to 2019-2020

You can do the rest. 👀
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa