The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 15th July) Phillips injury heartbreak

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 15th July) Phillips injury heartbreak

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 15th July, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Phillips Injury heartbreak

Kalvin Phillips has said he is 'heartbroken' after it was revealed that the knee injury he sustained during the win at Swansea City last weekend will probably rule the midfielder out of the last three games of the season.

Heartbroken I will be missing the last three games of the season. Anyone that knows me knows it’s killed me that this unfortunate injury has happened. I am beyond gutted I can’t help the lads at such an important time on the pitch but I will make sure I’m there for everyone off the pitch!

Still three massive games to go and we will need everyone to get to our goal. And for the majority of Leeds fans I can assure you I will be a nervous wreck watching just like the rest of you guys. One last push for everyone. TOGETHER.

Struber - We will need luck, bravery and big hearts

Tykes Manager Gerhard Struber has said his side will need luck, bravery and big hearts if they are produce anything from their trip to Elland Road tomorrow!

The players work very hard, but in the end, we also need a little luck in some situations. We work very hard for the luck and hope it comes back on Thursday and we can make a big surprise at Leeds. In some situations, we need a killer mood especially in front of goal. We expected goals in our last (two games) and we should have won these games and we were clearly the better team.

It is more a question of the right balance. We are in tenth place of the Championship after the lockdown (in form). We need to be brave boys with a big heart and a good balance between heart and brain. We need everyone on their personal limit on Thursday and then we have a good chance for a big performance and then maybe for a big result.

This is our goal in this special game against Leeds. It is clear that Leeds are the big favourite, but we also have a big quality and it is difficult to play against Barnsley with my style and also with the (right) attitude from my boys. We had very good games against Fulham and West Bromwich. It is a crazy what happens in every game. We believe in us and believe we can win in a very good performance on Thursday. This is our responsibility and duty to all what we can.

What is your favourite Leeds Utd kit?

What are your three favourite, and three least favourite Leeds Utd kits?

danhirons
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 15th July) Phillips injury heartbreak

Post by danhirons »

since when did it become the norm to have a new kit every season? (around 2010 ish?) So frustrating that if you don't buy a kit at the start of the season you've basically only got the "current" shirt for a few months
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

danhirons wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:38 am since when did it become the norm to have a new kit every season? (around 2010 ish?) So frustrating that if you don't buy a kit at the start of the season you've basically only got the "current" shirt for a few months
Three new kits every season. Home, away and other.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Feel so sorry for Kalvin and we will definitely miss him but I’m sure Ben will step up.

Simple straight forward all, and only, white (logoless) kit for me like the late 60s early 70s versions.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning Folks.

Ironically Football Shirts are pretty good quality and will last for many years. If you can resist the pressure to keep up with the Joneses you could get 10 seasons out of a shirt( unless of course the sponsor logo comes off in the washing machine)

Re KP. Pity he will the final three games.
Hopefully Dallas will not find himself in midfield.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Which 3 clubs are going down?

Remember about Wigans -12 points. It means they're on 45 points with a goal difference of =1

rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

feel bad for KP, he must be gutted.

Also i was a bit concerned about Bielsa and the press conference yesterday when the mentioned Kiko's ban being lifted.

I hope he doesn't do anything stupid and put him in the team (or even the squad)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

So Kalvin has joined the nervous wreck gang, I feel for the lad

God certainly doesn't smile on Leeds United, for some reason he seems to have taken away our stars over the last three months :(
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

rrfierce wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:06 am feel bad for KP, he must be gutted.

Also i was a bit concerned about Bielsa and the press conference yesterday when the mentioned Kiko's ban being lifted.

I hope he doesn't do anything stupid and put him in the team (or even the squad)
The one thing that really concerns me is that without Casila's ban, we would never have found out how good Meslier actually is, as there is no way Bielsa would, could or have any intention of changing his team, unless injury or suspension.

I hope we havn't missed out on any other top talent.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

My favourite away kit

Screenshot 2020-07-15 at 10.24.19.png
Screenshot 2020-07-15 at 10.24.19.png (31.75 KiB) Viewed 2823 times

My favourite home kit + stocking tabs

Screenshot 2020-07-15 at 10.28.06.png
Screenshot 2020-07-15 at 10.28.06.png (17.99 KiB) Viewed 2823 times
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:24 am The one thing that really concerns me is that without Casila's ban, we would never have found out how good Meslier actually is, as there is no way Bielsa would, could or have any intention of changing his team, unless injury or suspension.

Yeah its a good point , and i do feel for players like shack and more so edmundson. The good thing is that all these players are very young and will hopefully get a chance in the future and not leave and become massive stars at other clubs.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

rrfierce wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:41 am Yeah its a good point , and i do feel for players like shack and more so edmundson. The good thing is that all these players are very young and will hopefully get a chance in the future and not leave and become massive stars at other clubs.
If we get promoted (and that's as much as you'll get me to talk about promotion until it's done) most of the young lads such as Edmundson, Gotts, Stevens, Bogusz and McCalmont will no doubt get loaned out to get some first team game time.
Shackleton has proved he's good enough already in my opinion.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:01 am If we get promoted (and that's as much as you'll get me to talk about promotion until it's done) most of the young lads such as Edmundson, Gotts, Stevens, Bogusz and McCalmont will no doubt get loaned out to get some first team game time.
Shackleton has proved he's good enough already in my opinion.
Some of the first team places won't be certain too!
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Gutted for Phillips. I bet it wasn't his decision not to play. Bielsa will trust White to do the job again with Bera coming in. Just upsets the balance of things and another rise in blood pressure for our fans.

After initially being unsure the Black and pink one looks great.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

The lads will do it for KP I'm sure. So close to the PL and this happens, totally gutted for him.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Irish Ian wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:07 am Morning Folks.

Ironically Football Shirts are pretty good quality and will last for many years. If you can resist the pressure to keep up with the Joneses you could get 10 seasons out of a shirt( unless of course the sponsor logo comes off in the washing machine)

Re KP. Pity he will the final three games.
Hopefully Dallas will not find himself in midfield.
Very rare I buy a new shirt when it first comes out and is at full price. In fact the only 2 Leeds shirts I currently have are the short and long sleeved white ones from a few seasons back when we had no sponsor. A really nice shirt for me is better than a newer shirt that isn't as nice.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:24 am The one thing that really concerns me is that without Casila's ban, we would never have found out how good Meslier actually is, as there is no way Bielsa would, could or have any intention of changing his team, unless injury or suspension.

Let's be fair here, Kiko had done very well and featured on plenty of our MOTM lists before the ban. Now I prefer Meslier, and am glad that circumstances led to his proving what a fantastic keeper he's been, but we don't know how Kiko would've fared without the ban when his prior performances this season have been good. This is just one of those things.

Again, I personally think Meslier should keep the shirt but to imply that Kiko was a calamity waiting to happen and we wouldn't be in this position without Meslier seems to me a bit disingenuous.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

mothbanquet wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:57 am Let's be fair here, Kiko had done very well and featured on plenty of our MOTM lists before the ban. Now I prefer Meslier, and am glad that circumstances led to his proving what a fantastic keeper he's been, but we don't know how Kiko would've fared without the ban when his prior performances this season have been good. This is just one of those things.

Again, I personally think Meslier should keep the shirt but to imply that Kiko was a calamity waiting to happen and we wouldn't be in this position without Meslier seems to me a bit disingenuous.
He did play well in a few games but for me the ban was great timing as he had become a walking wicket over the winter.
But it was not just his errors, I just dont think some of his positioning and his decisons were great. The amount of times he reacted like a scalded cat when the ball came near him...He just didnt command the area.
That sinking feeling we got every time a cross came over.

His distribution was great though, he earned us a few points launching us on the break.
Not worth the money imo
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Metro1962
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Metro1962 »

I hate the pink and grey(?) and prefer the blue/yellow away kit.:-)
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Both keepers have done well but both have their weaknesses. I am happy with whomever Bielsa chooses to start. To see what some people write it is as if Kiko was making mistake after mistake. Simply not the case. The only actual mistake was when the ball went under his foot against Brentford. The other 'mistakes' were not mistakes just occasions where you could say he might have done better - but how many of us here have played in net and know what it is like when someone shoots? You have a split second usually to react and you can't cover every millimetre of the goal, you can't catch every ball. I would say the same about Messlier as I would about Kiko in that there were times when the ball has gone in and you think he could have done better. But you could say that every time a goal is scored. For me I would keep Messlier in, he has done well and looks more able to deal with crosses than Kiko. I think Kiko has other attributes where he is stronger than Messlier but the catching of crosses is a huge plus for Messlier in this league.