The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:51 pm Roberts only 30% pass accuracy, why am I not surprised?.....still unconvinced he can hack it in the PL

The CB situation should have been sorted before the season started, we wasted far too much time & effort trying to sign Ben White

Tbh we require at least three more quality players as we are very short in certain positions especially if injuries/suspensions kicked in.

Last season we were far too reliant on Pablo, we still haven't brought in a quality alternative

Hopefully more recruitment imminent between now & the 5th October

Still believe we'll do well with a bit more luck & as long as we keep our key players remain fit & free from injury
I agree, think we will be fine if we recruit well between now and October, ideally sooner rather than later.

Cant rest on our laurels though.

We need points on the board and 3 or 4 quality players in asap.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

1964white wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:51 pm Roberts only 30% pass accuracy, why am I not surprised?.....still unconvinced he can hack it in the PL

The CB situation should have been sorted before the season started, we wasted far too much time & effort trying to sign Ben White

Tbh we require at least three more quality players as we are very short in certain positions especially if injuries/suspensions kicked in.

Last season we were far too reliant on Pablo, we still haven't brought in a quality alternative

Hopefully more recruitment imminent between now & the 5th October

Still believe we'll do well with a bit more luck & as long as we keep our key players remain fit & free from injury
Roberts will be a quality player but needs to play up top, if we got in a few more attackers I’d like to see him go out on loan and play 9 in a top championship side.
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
Pykie
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Pykie »

Personally think, rather than the fragility in defence, it will have been Pablo's game that spurs Radz and Orta into action.

He is playing in the critical creative position and his pass completion and dribbling would of rung alarm bells against a quality press.

He's better suited as an impact sub either as an inside forward or for a 20-30 minute burst in CM. At 35 years old, the guy just can't be relied to do it all at this level.

If the RDP situation is purely the final figure, I think they will stump it up. He seems absolute ideal for that creative CM talisman that we need.

I would really like Gallagher as well, as I genuinely think he has the potential to be a capped English CM in time, he's also the sort of "insurance" policy the club needs to be undertaking. At 20 years old and English, he could be a CM for us for the next decade no matter what division we occupy. Anything near or around the Harrison future figure would be a great deal imo.

Struijk showed enough on the weekend for me to be comfortable with Koch, Cooper and Struijk until January (Davis and Casey as further backup).

I think we really need depth in the #10 and CM roles. Klich/El Mago/Roberts/Shacks is just far too thin imo.
andrewjohnsmith
First Team
First Team

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Pykie wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:13 am Personally think, rather than the fragility in defence, it will have been Pablo's game that spurs Radz and Orta into action.

He is playing in the critical creative position and his pass completion and dribbling would of rung alarm bells against a quality press.

He's better suited as an impact sub either as an inside forward or for a 20-30 minute burst in CM. At 35 years old, the guy just can't be relied to do it all at this level.
I thought Pablo had a decent first half. He created a few openings and his work rate was really good. I remember him covering over at right back a couple of times. But I do agree that he's behind the pace a little and is probably only good for 45 minutes. I really liked the way we used him after covid, coming on at half time. I think his best value to us will be off the bench. But it will need a quality replacement, because I don't thin there's anyone else that's great at that No. 10 role.
We've been through it all together. And we've had our ups and downs
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

The De Paul saga is still ongoing according to Phil Hay but no further forward.

A new target has joined the list.

19 year old Brazilian born and based Portugal youth international Marcos Paulo.

Plays for Fluminense.

Seems to be a winger or a striker.

While its probably nonsense we did reportedly try and buy Gabriel Martinelli before Arsenal did and Paulo has the same agent.

He is also out of contract in 2021 and we may see an opportunity for a bargain with a high sell on potential.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

David Ornstein says that the move for De Paul is "impossible" we simply wont pay what Udinese want.

Phil Hay says similar and says we are in "no rush" and their is no movement.

Phil alsp says we are still talking about spending £20mil on Gvardiol.

While Rodders and Robin is nice thats just replacing Eddie/ JKA and Ben White.

What about the other areas we are weak? We have this strange habit of just replacing other players but never strengthening other areas

We need a number 10, why mess about, sell some players and pay the price for De Paul.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:40 pm We need a number 10, why mess about, sell some players and pay the price for De Paul.
Will you buy this pencil from me Cjay? I want 50p for it and it doesn't matter if you think it is overpriced as it is a good pencil and I will only accept 50p for it. Just cos a club puts a price on a player doesn't mean we should drop our trousers and let them b*ttfuck us. If it is too high we need to walk away unlees the seller is going to negotiate.
Senor El Weasel
Smudge3920
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Smudge3920 »

One of the great things being established at the moment by Bielsa, is loyalty. Immediately selling players to buy one other will not help to generate that loyalty in return. Yes there will come a time when players are sold, but it has to be done in the right way. In the case of RDP, selling players is not warranted... we are buying potential and wanting to pay his worth NOW... being held to ransom and caving in will always bite you in the arse.
Side before self & MOT
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:24 pm Will you buy this pencil from me Cjay? I want 50p for it and it doesn't matter if you think it is overpriced as it is a good pencil and I will only accept 50p for it. Just cos a club puts a price on a player doesn't mean we should drop our trousers and let them b*ttfuck us. If it is too high we need to walk away unlees the seller is going to negotiate.
We've been quite happy to touch our toes before (JKA, Eddie, Ben White, Costa) why change the habit?

Seriously though of course we shouldn't pay ridiculous money but lets not take the piss either.

£23mil is our offer, for one of the top AM performers in Europe over the last few seasons statistically, full Argentina international coming into his prime.

Thats low, we offered more for White, Watkins went for more, Arsenal paid more for a couple of cbs, Leicester paid more for a left back.

Absolutely dont let them take the piss but dont lowball them either because thats going to piss them off.

They are at £37mil, we are at £23mil.

£30mil is a compromise and in today's market not a bad price.

We got lucky with Koch being nearly put of contract, Valencia being a distressed seller, but Udinese arent and De Paul isnt so we arent going to get him for a ridiculously low figure.
Smudge3920
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Smudge3920 »

Leeds agree contract with player for major transfer, next few hours decisive – report

Please lets get this done...once and for all

https://motleedsnews.com/transfers/leed ... ve-report/
Side before self & MOT
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:41 pm We've been quite happy to touch our toes before (JKA, Eddie, Ben White, Costa) why change the habit?
Hard to say - for all we know RB may have wanted us to buy JKA outright and we negotitated them down to an initial loan with us only being willing to pay if we got promoted and as such could afford him. Same with Costa I imagine Wolves would have liked the cash up front. Ben White we could have walked away from the initial loan only deal but then might not have got promoted and likewise we eventually walked away, would Brighton have sold if we went to absolutely silly money?

All about getting the balance right, every signing is a gamble. JKA looked good so who is to say De Paul will fare any better? The club has a budget and has to try to stay within that budget. Likely De Paul would be on big wages too. It may be that we are at our max and unless someone is sold we cannot go higher but is Bielsa going to sanction a sale of for example a left back to get a no.10 or would he want a replacement in which case we would have to use money to replace a sold left back.
Senor El Weasel
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:59 pm Hard to say - for all we know RB may have wanted us to buy JKA outright and we negotitated them down to an initial loan with us only being willing to pay if we got promoted and as such could afford him. Same with Costa I imagine Wolves would have liked the cash up front. Ben White we could have walked away from the initial loan only deal but then might not have got promoted and likewise we eventually walked away, would Brighton have sold if we went to absolutely silly money?

All about getting the balance right, every signing is a gamble. JKA looked good so who is to say De Paul will fare any better? The club has a budget and has to try to stay within that budget. Likely De Paul would be on big wages too. It may be that we are at our max and unless someone is sold we cannot go higher but is Bielsa going to sanction a sale of for example a left back to get a no.10 or would he want a replacement in which case we would have to use money to replace a sold left back.
True every transfer is a risk.

But imo De Paul is different to all of them for one reason, no indication De Paul is in decline or has a questionable attitude or fitness.

JKA hadnt played for ages (something Bielsa himself said at the time), JKA had a well documented history of attitude problems and falling out with managers and teammates.

When Leipzig sign a young player and are desperate to get rid that is a concern.

Costa had been on the decline since his injury according to Wolves fans and according to Bielsa himself didn't fit the playing style.

We spent upwards of £5mil on JKA, £21mil on Costa in fees (£16m up front and £5m on promotion). As individuals neither so far represent value for money (although Costa was great vs Liverpool).

Then you add Eddie.

We have been more than willing to commit to riskier signings before promotion, JKA and Costa between them well over £30mil.

De Paul is a player not on decline, coming off multiple impressive seasons in a top European league.

Udinese arent desperate to get rid or even keen to get rid ( the player wants out rather than the club), he isnt showing signs of injury issues or attitude problems.

At the end of the day De Paul's reputation is on the rise not the decline and that needs to be recognised in our offers.

Every signing is a risk but less so than previous expensive ones imo.

JKA, Costa and Eddie cost more in total than we offered for RDP and we wanted more for KP than we are offering for De Paul.

RDP is a risk like any other but he has a growing reputation and is a player for a position we require. We shouldn't be offering less than we asked Villa for for KP imo.

I understand you negotiate but i wouldn't want us to annoy the Udinese owners by making them feel disrespected.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Didn't I hear somewhere that while he might command a significant transfer fee, de Paul's current wages are actually surprisingly low? Or was that Gvardiol?

Anyway, suggestion tonight is that the next 24 hours will tell us if a deal is going to happen or not.

If not, I'd pay £20m for Buendia, 4th highest chances created in the PL last year in a team that was relegated and actively making come and get me noises to the PL -

27 Jul
Most chances created in the 2019/20 Premier League season

𝟏 De Bruyne (136)
𝟐 Grealish (91)
𝟑 Alexander-Arnold (87)
𝟒 Buendia (83)
𝟓 Maddison (79)
𝟔 Moutinho (77)
𝟕 Willian (76)
𝟖 Digne 72)
𝟗 Ward-Prowse (62)
𝟏𝟎 Salah (61)
Richard
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

weasel wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:24 pm Will you buy this pencil from me Cjay? I want 50p for it and it doesn't matter if you think it is overpriced as it is a good pencil and I will only accept 50p for it. Just cos a club puts a price on a player doesn't mean we should drop our trousers and let them b*ttfuck us. If it is too high we need to walk away unlees the seller is going to negotiate.
If Cjay doesn’t want the pencil I’ll have it if it includes postage :)
Richard
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

Cjay wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:41 pm We've been quite happy to touch our toes before (JKA, Eddie, Ben White, Costa) why change the habit?

Seriously though of course we shouldn't pay ridiculous money but lets not take the piss either.

£23mil is our offer, for one of the top AM performers in Europe over the last few seasons statistically, full Argentina international coming into his prime.

Thats low, we offered more for White, Watkins went for more, Arsenal paid more for a couple of cbs, Leicester paid more for a left back.

Absolutely dont let them take the piss but dont lowball them either because thats going to piss them off.

They are at £37mil, we are at £23mil.

£30mil is a compromise and in today's market not a bad price.

We got lucky with Koch being nearly put of contract, Valencia being a distressed seller, but Udinese arent and De Paul isnt so we arent going to get him for a ridiculously low figure.
Prices are crazy and many make no sense. You just look at what we were willing to pay for Ben White with one championship season under his belt then you compare that to an Argentinian International.

The only thing in Whites favour is he was proven in a Bielsa team and system but with Bielsa probably being here one more year where does that leave you, he hasn’t made a full game for Brighton.

In general Orta and his signings have been very hit and miss but we don’t have all the facts, did Bielsa okay Nketiah and Augustin, was he unaware Augustin was probably a stone overweight. De Paul at £30m seems a no brainer to me but it depends how badly Bielsa wants him.

If we sign him and he sits on the bench for a month until his proved himself to Bielsa and his head drops like Augustin did then we have a problem. I still believe he will join
Byebyegeegee
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Byebyegeegee »

I think Udinese are wanting 40m euros for De Paul so even if we offer £30m, which is £7m more than our current offer, if the figures quoted are to be believed, then they would still probably not accept. I would be very reluctant to stretch to their figure which is about £15m more than our current offer. Considering the state of the worlds economies at the moment, due to the pandemic, these current transfer fees are absolutely crazy and probably unsustainable.

Now on to more important matters; this pencil that you have for sale Weasel, how big is it and is it an Hb? If so then I might be able to stretch to 51p but that would have to include p&p of course 😉
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Richard wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:47 am If Cjay doesn’t want the pencil I’ll have it if it includes postage :)
My plan has worked well and I now have a 3 way bidding war for my pencil. As such I am now asking for £1 for it. The pencil is on low wages and despite having had little experience so far of writing and drawing is full of potential. Whilst my pencil may make mistakes due to his youthful exuberance he has already shown a remarkable ability to recover from mistakes and simply erase them and start again.
Senor El Weasel
paddy parrott
First Team
First Team

Post by paddy parrott »

So potentially this pencil has the ability for greater things weasel... I'm in and would be interested maybe in doing a deal.
Quickest to draw I suppose!
rab_rant
Superstar
Superstar

Post by rab_rant »

yes but no but yes but does it have lead in its pencil

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Aussieleeds
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Aussieleeds »

weasel wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:10 am My plan has worked well and I now have a 3 way bidding war for my pencil. As such I am now asking for £1 for it. The pencil is on low wages and despite having had little experience so far of writing and drawing is full of potential. Whilst my pencil may make mistakes due to his youthful exuberance he has already shown a remarkable ability to recover from mistakes and simply erase them and start again.
What if I gave you 10p to loan your pencil, and then give you your 50p if I like it?