USA Fans

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: USA Fans

Post by The Subhuman »

LUFC_BOS wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:47 pm Folks, have LUFC outpost up in Boston Mass., chuffed for all our fans! Proudly wearing my shirt!

Great to see US based expats. This forum and its resident folks make it all wothwhile,

Thanks to 64, Weasel, Faaip and others i have missed for keeping us connected.

Lets go and give it to them next year
Cheers Boston ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:53 pm I grew up in Hexthorpe until I was 18, then Balby from 18-26, before I moved to States. I went to Balby Carr school
Nightingale Primary for me, 2 years at Woodfield High and then Donny Grammar School :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Norm wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:53 am Sorry I didn't actually answer your question - I've never bothered with a supporters club over here because I'm very happy with this forum, which takes care of my LUFC needs very well.
I agree, Plus, like Norm, I live in a small town (pop. 8,000) that's a long way from any metropolitan area where there might be some other Leeds supporters. Even when I lived in Las Vegas, the one big soccer pub in town was filled every week with scum, Chelsea, and Arsenal fans. We were in League One at the time and finding anyone who professed to be a Leeds fan was an exercise in futility.
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

Wisconsin here, small town in middle of nowhere.

Hi Gessa!
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Norm wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:53 am Sorry I didn't actually answer your question - I've never bothered with a supporters club over here because I'm very happy with this forum, which takes care of my LUFC needs very well.
Nicely put Norm, what a fantastic forum this is. My first port of call with my breakfast coffee of a morning :)
hector

Post by hector »

whiteswan wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:08 pm Nicely put Norm, what a fantastic forum this is. My first port of call with my breakfast coffee of a morning :)
Yer but your breakfast morning is the rest of the UK's mid afternoon....

And the coffee is actually Irish coffee with more Irish than coffee..... :) :)

Morning Duckie 8-)
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

hector wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:18 pm Yer but your breakfast morning is the rest of the UK's mid afternoon....

Morning Duckie 8-)
Cheeky :) but I will forgive you as I am in a very good 'Championy' mood :scar1

Breakfast coffee is usually everyone else's elevenses :lol: but it is just coffee dear hector :-D
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

LUFC_BOS wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:47 pm Folks, have LUFC outpost up in Boston Mass., chuffed for all our fans! Proudly wearing my shirt!

Great to see US based expats. This forum and its resident folks make it all wothwhile,

Thanks to 64, Weasal, Faaip and others i have missed for keeping us connected.

Lets go and give it to them next year
Thanks BOS, glad you enjoy the forum :tup:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:18 pm Yer but your breakfast morning is the rest of the UK's mid afternoon....

Morning Duckie 8-)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
kindestcut
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by kindestcut »

American Leeds fan here. I'm in upstate New York an hour north of Albany. I am so looking forward to seeing Leeds back in the Premier League. This is going to be a really fun ride. MOT!!!
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

I live about 30 miles north of Dallas. When I moved here the town was a country(ish) town . The population was around
4 ,000. It has grown a bit over the years and now has a population of around 75,000.
Things look different!
Looking forward to next season when we (in the USA) will be able to see every Leeds game live on NBC SPORTS either on TV or on a reliable stream.
We are the CHAMPIONS !!!
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

What's struck me as rather quaint is people calling towns small with populations of well over a thousand.
When I said that, in England, my town would be considered a village I wasn't joking - I think at the last census in 2010 the poulation of Isabella, MO, was something like 243 - now it's exploded to a humongous 354 according to Google. The 2020 census has been delayed by the pandemic and Debbie is going to be employed as an enumerator - someone who goes around the area to get details from people whose details haven't yet been received for whatever reason.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Norm wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:47 pm What's struck me as rather quaint is people calling towns small with populations of well over a thousand.
It always seemed weird calling places cities. I came from Doncaster and we could never call ourselves a city, even though we were big - one of if not the biggest non-city in England. But all these little towns in the USA were calling themselves cities.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

BobHirst wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:26 pm Looking forward to next season when we (in the USA) will be able to see every Leeds game live on NBC SPORTS either on TV or on a reliable stream.
We are the CHAMPIONS !!!
That's the biggest part for me. We'll be able to get all their games next year - although I'm not sure what this NBC Peacock is going to offer. It will also be great to be able to find bars that are showing the games. I'm sure that's huge for the club too, the worldwide coverage.
kindestcut
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by kindestcut »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:55 pm It always seemed weird calling places cities. I came from Doncaster and we could never call ourselves a city, even though we were big - one of if not the biggest non-city in England. But all these little towns in the USA were calling themselves cities.
I looked up Doncaster and over 100,000 people live there. In my mind, that's a city...a small one but certainly not a town from my perspective. In my hometown in NC (pop. 3,500) and the town where I lived before I moved north (pop. 1,500) I can't imagine anyone would have called these places cities. In fact, most everyone there despised the thought of city life (this is in the Appalachian Mountains). They lived in small towns and were proud of it. Of course, as populations grow and spread, these terms will also certainly change. It could be a regional thing as well.
andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:57 pm That's the biggest part for me. We'll be able to get all their games next year - although I'm not sure what this NBC Peacock is going to offer. It will also be great to be able to find bars that are showing the games. I'm sure that's huge for the club too, the worldwide coverage.
I'm also curious to see what services I am going to have to get in order to watch Leeds next season. Also, I am will have to totally change my focus from the Championship to the PL. My following of the PL has certainly waned in the last 16 years. Not that I wasn't interested but it just didn't affect me so much. I only truly cared to see the teams I hated lose. That was pretty much it. This is going to completely alter my view of football.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

kindestcut wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:19 pm I looked up Doncaster and over 100,000 people live there. In my mind, that's a city
I was always told that we were the biggest non-city in England and that we needed to have a cathedral. I never bothered to research, but that's my understanding.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Crude wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:03 pm Wisconsin here, small town in middle of nowhere.

Hi Gessa!
Hi Dan,hope you're well mate
kindestcut
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by kindestcut »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:55 pm I was always told that we were the biggest non-city in England and that we needed to have a cathedral. I never bothered to research, but that's my understanding.
I'm sure you're right. I meant that if a place with a population of 100,000 was in the US, I would consider it a city, but then again I grew up in a small town so that sounds like a lot of people to me! Here, as far as I know, every state has its own determination of what population centers are called. And not every state is consistent. here in the northeast, you can have villages and towns and cities alongside each other, sometimes surrounding each other. In Vermont, where I work, Rutland Town totally surrounds the city of Rutland. It all confuses the hell out of me!
SidInAmerica
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by SidInAmerica »

Crude wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:03 pm Wisconsin here, small town in middle of nowhere.
I'd been hanging onto a bottle of New Glarus Serendipity- waiting for the right time.

Promotion confirmed=the right time(!)

About me: spent the first s of my life in the 'Chicagoland' area. [Great place to be from, not-so-great place to be, anymore...] I'm currently not too far away from Philadelphia. I think I'll move on from here, too- once I'm out of the workforce.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Nice to hear from our cousins on the other side of the pond.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa