Pivotal week

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Pivotal week

Post by Cjay »

Hope we see some movement on MB's contract very soon because we need to see movement on the transfer front.

Both seasons under MB we have hit the ground running, this coming season its vital we do the same.

The season starts in only just over a month, not much time at all, unless we get perfect players in terms of attitude, quality, fitness, tactical understanding, then any new signings will need the bedding in period that MB demands.

That can be anywhere from a few months (as with Costa) or never as with Eddie.

We need to be very proactive and get signings done by mid August.

Kinnear said we may make them after the season starts which would show a real failure to understand what MB requires imo, unless those signings are perfect we wouldn't see them this side of new year!!!

Dont want to be a negative nancy but at what point would people be worried by

A) MB not signed up

B) Players not signed?

For me MB would be by Friday this week and if absolutely no movement on confirmed approaches and progress on the transfer front by this time next week id start to worry.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Pivotal week

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Cjay wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:06 pm Hope we see some movement on MB's contract very soon because we need to see movement on the transfer front.

Both seasons under MB we have hit the ground running, this coming season its vital we do the same.

The season starts in only just over a month, not much time at all, unless we get perfect players in terms of attitude, quality, fitness, tactical understanding, then any new signings will need the bedding in period that MB demands.

That can be anywhere from a few months (as with Costa) or never as with Eddie.

We need to be very proactive and get signings done by mid August.

Kinnear said we may make them after the season starts which would show a real failure to understand what MB requires imo, unless those signings are perfect we wouldn't see them this side of new year!!!

Dont want to be a negative nancy but at what point would people be worried by

A) MB not signed up

B) Players not signed?

For me MB would be by Friday this week and if absolutely no movement on confirmed approaches and progress on the transfer front by this time next week id start to worry.
I wish we could see faster movement on the transfer front because, as you say, any new player needs a full preseason under Bielsa. If we sign a player in September, he probably won't start a game until the FA Cup 3rd Round (I'm exaggerating, there's the Carabao Cup).

As for Bielsa, don't you get the feeling that part of his decision is based on our ability to sign the players he wants? If so, it seems like both would delay the other. Bielsa wants to wait on the signings, and the signings probably want to wait on Bielsa.
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

can't understand why MB hasn't been offered a new contract or the business been done and sorted by now.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Scoobychief wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:51 pm can't understand why MB hasn't been offered a new contract or the business been done and sorted by now.
Welcome to MOT Scooby :tup:
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

I expect they're all sat twiddling their thumbs. Perhaps someone should give them a knock...
Aussieleeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Aussieleeds »

Can’t imagine any top player signing all the while we don’t have a manager. Starting to get nervous about MB not having signed. Not a great look if we can’t quickly do a deal with our current manager who supposedly loves the club and the players. MB must know that players won’t come until after he signs up.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

No question but that Marcelo will be our most important 'signing' - without him all else goes to fade.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Saw 3 different twitter accounts report that MB has signed a year's extension. Nothing on the official feed as yet, so may be BS
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Norm wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:04 pm No question but that Marcelo will be our most important 'signing' - without him all else goes to fade.
In other crude words Norm

Everything would go tits up :(
1964white

Post by 1964white »

All our players are on holiday

I suspect Marcelo will be spending some quality time with his family after a very long busy season
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

I think conclusion of the playoff final will be the starter's pistol. You can't show your hand till all the cards are on the table.
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Post by Boo Radley »

mothbanquet wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:11 pm I think conclusion of the playoff final will be the starter's pistol. You can't show your hand till all the cards are on the table.
Fully agree mothbanquet.

There are undoubtedly targets in both of this evenings finalists. Whoever loses will have a queue of suitors at the door, ourselves included. You would expect these players to be amongst the top on our list and if we fail to land any then it’s off down the list we go, probably with a lot more urgency then.

I’m confident that Bielsa will sign, there is no indication otherwise anywhere. He probably is at home with his family for now and his wish list is with Orta. It probably keeps a little pressure on Orta in case he draws a blank with the transfers. MB has the exit door if that happens, although I think he would be happy to start the season with what we have already.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

For all we know Bielsa has gone home (Argentina not Wetherby) for a few days to recharge and catch up with family and doesn't want to look at a contract for a few days. People, especially around Bielsa's age, are dying left, right and centre due to Covid and Bielsa may well be talking things over with his family before even contemplating talking it over with the club. Try to rush Bielsa and he would likely simply walk away. After he talks it over with his family you would then have the legal side of things to get sorted, that takes time as anyone who has dealt with lawyers knows.

I dare say we have one or two deals basically signed but are just waiting for Bielsa to sign before we complete them. No point spending big money on a player that a different manager might not want.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:38 pm For all we know Bielsa has gone home (Argentina not Wetherby) for a few days to recharge and catch up with family and doesn't want to look at a contract for a few days. People, especially around Bielsa's age, are dying left, right and centre due to Covid and Bielsa may well be talking things over with his family before even contemplating talking it over with the club. Try to rush Bielsa and he would likely simply walk away. After he talks it over with his family you would then have the legal side of things to get sorted, that takes time as anyone who has dealt with lawyers knows.

I dare say we have one or two deals basically signed but are just waiting for Bielsa to sign before we complete them. No point spending big money on a player that a different manager might not want.
As I posted above :tup:
kindestcut
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by kindestcut »

I have to believe that if there was any true concern that Bielsa would not be signing, we would hear rumblings. Or at least Rads would be wandering the streets with a vacant look of horror in his eyes.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

If Marcelo went to Argentina he would be required to self isolate on his return, so I suspect that wont be on the agenda.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Denman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Denman »

Life these days demands that everything has to be done urgently. But Bielsa is old school, he’ll do things his way, and when the time is right things will happen. I’m sure he’ll sign, as I expect all the challenges managing in the PL brings will be irresistible.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Irish Ian wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:22 pm If Marcelo went to Argentina he would be required to self isolate on his return, so I suspect that wont be on the agenda.
He'll get tested and if cleared go straight back to work. Or how would the Euro leagues work if entire teams had to isolate for 1-2 weeks after a game ?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

As long as the club give Bielsa what he wants I won't worry, and I can't imagine management doing anything less than that.

Nobody's that stupid.

At least I hope not.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

weasel wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:38 pm For all we know Bielsa has gone home (Argentina not Wetherby) for a few days to recharge and catch up with family and doesn't want to look at a contract for a few days.

He was in Wetherby Costa on Sunday