The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 5th August) Leeds to fight it out for Brentford stars

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 5th August) Leeds to fight it out for Brentford stars

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 5th August, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Cottagers join Leeds and Baggies in the Premier League

Scott Parker's Fulham will be playing Premier League next season alongside Leeds and West Brom after they defeated Brentford at Wembley last night in the Championship final. Although it would be fair to say that Fulham were the better team, the two sides could not be separated until extra time. The unlikely hero came in the shape of Joe Bryan's speculative 40 yard free kick caught David Raya out of position.

The Bees deadly strike force of Benrahma, Mbeumo and Watkins (collectively known as BMW) ran out of gas. Whilst Thomas Franks men were pressing forward for an equaliser, Bryan doubled his tally for the evening. Norgaard grabbed a consolation in the last minute of injury time.

Host of PL clubs hover over Griffin Park, ready to swoop for bargains

It's fair to say on paper, that Brentford should have beaten Fulham, but I suppose that's part of the beautiful game. It will be nigh-on-impossible for Thomas Frank to keep his strike force of Benrahma, Mbeumo and Watkins intact. More than a dozen top flight clubs are believed to be interested in the services of at last one of their deadly strike force who recorded 57 goals between them last term.

It is believed that Leeds were waiting for the conclusion of last nights game before they dipped their toes in the transfer market. Both Benrahma and Watkins are believed to be at the top of Bielsa's wish list, but with so much competition, it is bound to drive the price up! If you could pick one of the three, who would it be?

No love lost between Leeds and Brentford

Many Leeds fans took to social media last night as Brentford crashed and burned at the final hurdle. Thomas Frank continually throughout the season insinuated that Leeds are weak-minded and even claiming that the Whites ‘fear‘ Brentford. Also, according to Phil Hay, one unnamed (believed to be Brentford) player, asked him how Leeds were coping after they lost to Cardiff as the beginning of the restart.

There is also the Jansson factor. Brentford went out of their way to try and rub Leeds' noses in the dirt having captured the Swede for a fraction of his worth. This is one of the tweets they sent, minutes after Jansson signed for them:-

The tweet read 'Lovely View tonight'.....
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 5th August) Leeds to fight it out for Brentford stars

Post by rrfierce »

Brenford's comments have come back to haunt them more than once this season. When the manager and players say things like that, they are asking for trouble.

I'm not sure we should be signing benrahma or watkins, rico henry looks a player though.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 5th August) Leeds to fight it out for Brentford stars

Post by mothbanquet »

I don't know who I'd pick, honestly. We could do with a playmaker and a striker, but I think the best way to look at this isn't like we NEED one of those players, but that they are good possibilities. I'm still more excited by the prospect of getting in some Argies.

To be fair though, that is a nice view. :ok:
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

Karma caught up to Brentford in the end. They could talk the talk but as soon as the pressure was on them, they couldn’t cut it.

Some of the Brentford players would make decent additions for us, I’m expecting them to be very expensive though. The bidding war for Benrahma will surely be on now.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Brentford will be holding out for big transfer fee's and i hope Leeds don't get caught up in it tbh. They normally do well in getting top fee's for their best players Brentford, that's how they survive. Gutted for Pontus personally, but you pays your money and you takes your chances.
onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by onemoreslogan »

Morning El & co.

They are all interesting players, and any of them could improve Leeds, but I tend to agree with those who think the asking will be greater than their actual worth. I would much prefer we unearth bargains elsewhere than overpay for the obvious.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

rrfierce wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:26 am Brenford's comments have come back to haunt them more than once this season. When the manager and players say things like that, they are asking for trouble.

I'm not sure we should be signing benrahma or watkins, rico henry looks a player though.
Henry had a great game, but he has had some bad injuries. This is the first season that he has stayed free of injury
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

I think that was make or break for Brentford, they’ll lose there best players now and will have to start from scratch again, albeit with a healthy bank balance. I wonder if Pontus will get itchy feet.

As for BMW themselves - obviously good players as they’ve proved all season (but not on last nights showing), so not much chance of a bargain there. I think we’ll just have to trust Marcelo and, God forbid, Orta on that one.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Everybody talks about Benrahma and Watkins but Pontus talks about Christian Thers Nørgaard
and how he is on a par with Kalvin. He would be a Brentford player I would like.
DavidH
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by DavidH »

While watching Fulham celebrate at the end with the cup, it occurred to me that you get a cup for finsihing first, and a cup for finishing third, but nothing for finishing second (not counting promotion of course). Funny old game.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Josh Onomah looks a good player, full of running and has a goal in him but no chance of getting him now Fulham have been promoted.
I think I would go for Benrahma out of him and Watkins but I think we are more likely to get Watkins.
Perhaps Thomas Frank will keep his comments to himself now and wait until team have actually got promoted before he gives it the big un.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

DavidH wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:41 am While watching Fulham celebrate at the end with the cup, it occurred to me that you get a cup for finsihing first, and a cup for finishing third, but nothing for finishing second (not counting promotion of course). Funny old game.
Now there’s a tin pot cup if there ever was one!
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

rrfierce wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:26 am Brenford's comments have come back to haunt them more than once this season. When the manager and players say things like that, they are asking for trouble.

I mentioned Henry a few weeks ago on here
1964white

Post by 1964white »

rab_rant wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:41 am Everybody talks about Benrahma and Watkins but Pontus talks about Christian Thers Nørgaard
and how he is on a par with Kalvin. He would be a Brentford player I would like.
Norgaard is one of their unsung players Rab
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:39 am I think that was make or break for Brentford, they’ll lose there best players now and will have to start from scratch again, albeit with a healthy bank balance. I wonder if Pontus will get itchy feet.

As for BMW themselves - obviously good players as they’ve proved all season (but not on last nights showing), so not much chance of a bargain there. I think we’ll just have to trust Marcelo and, God forbid, Orta on that one.
I reckon Brentford will regroup & like Bielsa's Leeds will have learned from missing out on promotion this season, the Bees will be challenging at the top in 2020/21.

Brentford's recruitment strategy is buy cheap & sell high, their plans won't change, they'll have replacements earmarked already should they sell the likes of Watkins, Benrahma, etc
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:00 am Now there’s a tin pot cup if there ever was one!
Not that tin pot, it's worth 150 million plus
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Watkins would be the greater need, Benrahma would have to sit behind Pablo for a while.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Not to brag but I put my money on a Fulham Win, unfortunately as they didn’t win any money as Fulham left it until extra time. I’ve thought for a while that the Bees would blow up, lots of bluster and trying to get in the oppositions heads but once the pressure was on they just didn’t have it, bit like us last season.

I can see their team been stripped but like others have said they won’t go cheap, plus the management team will already have highlighted their replacements and will get them cheap so financially they’ll be in the good place, plus the new ground so don’t feel too sad for them. If they do keep the core of the team I can see them challenging next season, the management team should be trying to convince them all to stay with a promise of promotion next season.

I’d like to see us go for David Raya their keeper think his style would definitely suit us.
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

faaip wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:07 am Not that tin pot, it's worth 150 million plus
And one we would have been more than happy to have got our own hands on at the end of last season Byebye !
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:18 pm And one we would have been more than happy to have got our own hands on at the end of last season Byebye !
True, but it’s still a trophy for coming 3rd. It’s like school sports day these days where everyone wins a medal!