VAR for 2020/21

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

VAR for 2020/21

Post by faaip »

So listening to Talksport earlier and it's been announced apparently that all pens will be looked at to check for encroachment from defenders and attackers and also if the goalkeeper moves off his line before the ball is kicked if the kick is saved or missed

If so there will be a re-kick. I think that's about 100% of pens this season that were illegal

Also linesman are being advised to keep their flag down for tight offsides. The VAR will make those distinctions after a goal had been scored. I guess this is so teams don't stop defending if they see a flag go up, there was a case of a goal being ruled legal after the linesman put his flag up and the defenders stopped last season. Forget who

2 hour plus football games anybody?
Last edited by faaip on Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wanted to flash this watch, I flash it all the time. It's my antique pocket watch and it makes me look British...and I need that for my analysis. It is a gorgeous gold pocket watch however and I'm very proud of it. You see my grandfather, on his death bed, ..sold me this watch!
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Re: VAR for 2020/21

Post by faaip »

It should also be a slight disadvantage to those teams new to VAR, so the promoted teams.
I wanted to flash this watch, I flash it all the time. It's my antique pocket watch and it makes me look British...and I need that for my analysis. It is a gorgeous gold pocket watch however and I'm very proud of it. You see my grandfather, on his death bed, ..sold me this watch!
danhirons
First Team
First Team

Post by danhirons »

Hate it. Nothing about those fractional milimetre offside calls either ffs
Leeds1000
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Leeds1000 »

Always makes me laugh when they spend ages looking at VAR, give the decision and then people back in the studios are still divided on the incident.
HarryofOz
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by HarryofOz »

A great innovation to football. Long may it continue.
A Roman walks into a bar, sticks two fingers in the air and says 'five beers please'.
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

HarryofOz wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:00 am A great innovation to football. Long may it continue.
Only if it's used well which currently it isn't.
Peter in Blackpool
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Peter in Blackpool »

faaip wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:45 pm Only if it's used well which currently it isn't.
so how would you use it?

in a tight offside, linesmen are encouraged not to flag, if a goal is scored vat will check it.....suppose strikers boot is 2 inches offside, do u say, oh award a goal he is pretty much level......so what about 3 inch...or 4 inch....where do u draw the line? if its offside, its offside.

the controversy occurs when its really referees interpretation, such as hand to ball or ball to hand.....offside player interfering with play or not?

another problem is when var looks at incidents missed by the onfield officials......such as the mitrovic incident last month....play continued....if after 3 minutes of nonstop play fulham scored.....would var had disallowed the goal? How would we have felt if fulham had scored and the goal was awarded cos the mitrovic incident had been missed?

Is disallowing such a goal a fault with var insofar as play can be pulled back several minutes....should the goal stand? then what? does var award a free kick and send mitrovic off.....then how can the goal stand....should mitrovic get away with it if the ball stays in play for x minutes?

I would have thought that the Leeds captain could ask the referee to stop the game to check var at the time of the incident.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Coops at set pieces will concede a penalty a game!!!!

VAR will destroy him.

Its a good idea but its flawed is VAR imo
Fridge
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Fridge »

Cjay wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:42 pm Coops at set pieces will concede a penalty a game!!!!

VAR will destroy him.

Its a good idea but its flawed is VAR imo
He will have to learn quick!!

Just imagine all the offsides for the likes of Alioski next season!
Side before self, every time