Player Profile : Helder Costa - Currie, Ian. Radebe, White Riot, Wilsden & others to vote

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Player Profile : Helder Costa - Currie, Ian. Radebe, White Riot, Wilsden & others to vote

Post by 1964white »

Helder Costa

A starter in our first X1

Retain as a squad player

Thank you very much, sadly time to move on

Loan out to another club

Seasons rating out of ten

Dont forget to give a rating out of 10
Fridge
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Player Profile : Helder Costa

Post by Fridge »

Starter, as things stand.

7/10
Side before self, every time
hector

Post by hector »

As the cool one said, as things stand he has to start.....
He is getting better all the time, and just needs to let himself go at times...

7/10
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Starter for me, hoping his second season is better than the first, he needs to believe in himself a bit more and go for it, also think he and Harrison will benefit from a much better centre forward

Season score 6.5/10
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Byebyegeegee
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Having just spent £15m on him he has to be a regular starter. Did show signs occasionally, last season, of what he is capable of and his speed and dribbling ability will frighten a few Premier League defenders. As with Harrison there is room for improvement with his final ball and crossing into the box but hopefully that will come. 7/10
gessa
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by gessa »

Bench.

Too frustrating for me, too lightweight, can't tackle.

5/10

Having said that, Bielsa will definitely start with him, I'm sure
CHAPELALLMAN
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

For me he was the disappointment of last season, given that he was the summer marquee signing. I have written quite a bit on here about the concerns I have with our front three, and Costa epitomises this. His finishing was very poor ( think about that missed header at Elland Rd ) and his crossing erratic as well. I'm dumbfounded that Orta thought it was a good idea to agree to an obligation to buy Costa for 16m on promotion, rather than simply taking him on loan and trying him out first, as we have done with Harrison.

Costa may be better off playing in a counter attacking side so that he can run into space, rather than the congestion caused where you have full backs making underlapping runs inside the wingers, and where generally we try to create overloads in the final third. That way he could be more direct as well. 4 goals is a pretty poor return for a winger - we need wingers who can score between 10 to 15 goals a season. Maybe the PL will suit him more. 5/10.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

As Ges says Costa will start even though he is frustrating, lightweight & can't tackle.

Helder showed flashes of his quality however he really needs to up his game, second season at Leeds may bring the best out of him.

If we don't sign anyone better & I can't see it as we've spent a fortune on Costa, he'll have to start

6/10 and that rating is generous
mothbanquet
First Team
First Team

Post by mothbanquet »

Having rewatched so many matches since lockdown and past the end of the season, I find myself having a bit more of an appreciation for what Costa does. I'd probably have given him a 6 but I've spent a lot of time looking at his movement, his ability to pull defenders out and make space for others and when he's on song he can be a real terror.

I think there's more to come from him, so I'll go with starter but I can see him being relegated to squad player if Poveda builds on what we've seen so far.

7/10
Richard
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

Lightweight, can’t tackle back, has slowly been getting better, I’m hoping Poveda dislodges him from the team. If Costa was out last season we never missed him, Alioski can do the same job. If we hadn’t blown £15m on him I’d say move on but as we have I’m going to concede to him being a squad player

6.5/10
andrewjohnsmith
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Starter first XI

6.5/10 - looking to improve in 2nd year
We've been through it all together. And we've had our ups and downs
lufc1304
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Was certainly hit and miss last season, but I personally thought he got better as the season progressed. And I have a feeling that he may get more joy in the Prem where teams don't just park the bus and pack their own half. On that basis, I think he starts, at least initially, though young Poveda will have him looking over his shoulder.

6.5/10
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Starter.

John in Louisiana
Manager
Manager

Post by John in Louisiana »

Improved markedly as the season progressed. Showed flashes of real ability.

Hopefully he will keep improving and turn those flashes into longer stretches.

6.5/10

He will be a starter.
Leeds1000
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Leeds1000 »

£15m was way over priced for Costa. He needs to be consistant this season with a target of 15 goals. He had a couple of decent games, but was largely dissapointing for our marquee signing. Starter because we can't afford not to. 7/10
Denman
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Denman »

He did improve as the season went on, but I have to admit I was expecting more. He strikes me as a player to bring on mid-second half when we need something different. Too easily knocked of the ball, but could be a potent weapon if used correctly.

Bench for me though, and 6/10.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

A tricky one to judge. Early doors he looked great going forward and supplied 2 great assists for Nketiah goals. It looked like he had the quality output but lacked a bit defensively to fit into Bielsa's system. As the season went on it seemed he improved his defensive side and understanding of the role but his output suffered. For me his ability is superb and his ability to pick the right pass is probably only second to Pablo in this team so I fully expect him to have a much better season this year as he will start the season 'Bielsa fit' and knows his role. So for me he would be a starter and I think he will make a few people eat their words.

Rating 6.5 - Showed signs later on in the season that he had fully acclimatised to the role, before that a little inconsistent.
Senor El Weasel
Clacton White
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Clacton White »

7.5 . I think there's a good player but needs consistency .
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

First team

7.5/10

Decent first season for us and using CJay's 20M is the new 5M then he's a cheap add and one we're not paying a lump sum for. He'll get better under MB. Defended much better as the season wore on
I wanted to flash this watch, I flash it all the time. It's my antique pocket watch and it makes me look British...and I need that for my analysis. It is a gorgeous gold pocket watch however and I'm very proud of it. You see my grandfather, on his death bed, ..sold me this watch!
SG90
Manager
Manager

Post by SG90 »

As things stand he will start, but I can see Poveda replacing him soon. Overpriced at £15m.

6.5/10 - improved after lockdown, especially against Stoke. Still has a lot to prove both to us and Wolves.
I promise to be positive only for 20/21 :)