Joe Gelhardt

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Joe Gelhardt

Post by Cjay »

Welcome Joe.

Signed on a 4 year deal from Wigan for.

Prolific at England Youth level.

Can play wide, number 10 or as a striker.

Thats Paddy's competition sorted :)

Last edited by Cjay on Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:08 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Joe Gelhardt

Post by 1964white »

Unsure how many appearances Joe will make this season. I suspect he is one for the future, more likely to be used in mainly the U23's
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Excited by this one :)

I think he'll be like a Shackleton, mostly bench plus the odd game for the u23s, rather than an out and out u23 signing.
gessa

Post by gessa »

I'mmade up, it'sa massiveclub, I love scoring goals and I'mahard worker. Marcelo is a great manager and I'mlooking forwardto developingunder him

Which must mean Bielsa is definitely staying
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Only one goal in nineteen appearances & that goal came v the dreadful Hull City.

Looks a skilful player going from the youtube clips
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:27 pm I'mmade up, it'sa massiveclub, I love scoring goals and I'mahard worker. Marcelo is a great manager and I'mlooking forwardto developingunder him

Which must mean Bielsa is definitely staying
Of course he is staying mate :tup:
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Got good feelings with this one He looks decent and has plenty of potential, don't need to pigeon hole him in first team or u23's I'm sure if he impresses in pre season he will get his opportunities around the first team. Looks like he has a footballing brain get him working with pablo and he could be his long term replacement
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

rrfierce wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:05 pm Image
I dunno if it's the lighting, but I can't see any yellow on the kit. Looks like blue for Adidas logo and stripes and sponsor name.
Last edited by SG90 on Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

Last 3 kappa kits didn't have yellow either
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

I’ve got so excited by so many hot prospects who never make it I’ll reserve judgement this time. One for the future or send him out on loan for 6 months, glad we got him at a knockdown price, fingers crossed he lives up to the potential many seem to think he has
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

I can see him coming off the bench quite a bit this season. Impact sub - hopefully where Jack Clarke was 2 years ago
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

Regrettably I’ve not watched him yet in any of the U23s games that he has played in.

Can anyone who has watched him share their opinion on his performances?
gessa

Post by gessa »

Fridge wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:21 am Regrettably I’ve not watched him yet in any of the U23s games that he has played in.

Not seen him either Fridge but this is from another site.

one thing thats getting plenty of lines is about Joe Gelhardt and why he should be fast-tracked into the first team. I have watched him twice this week and his performance yesterday was brilliant. Hes scored 3 goals in 4 games including freindlies and 2 this week. His strike partner Sam Greenwood has scored 3 as well including 2 this week, but Gelhardt really does have something special. I saw him tackle in his own box and beat 4 players at speed down the wing and was stopped in the opposition box. I saw him win the ball in the middle and drive through tackles with ease and lay off a great ball. His goal yesterday saw him surrounded with players and he just walked through them and slotted home. When I read about the comparisons to Rooney I thought ok we’ll see, but seriously this kid could end up as Ortas best ever buy. Not seen anything like him for a while
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

gessa wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:47 am Not seen him either Fridge but this is from another site.

one thing thats getting plenty of lines is about Joe Gelhardt and why he should be fast-tracked into the first team. I have watched him twice this week and his performance yesterday was brilliant. Hes scored 3 goals in 4 games including freindlies and 2 this week. His strike partner Sam Greenwood has scored 3 as well including 2 this week, but Gelhardt really does have something special. I saw him tackle in his own box and beat 4 players at speed down the wing and was stopped in the opposition box. I saw him win the ball in the middle and drive through tackles with ease and lay off a great ball. His goal yesterday saw him surrounded with players and he just walked through them and slotted home. When I read about the comparisons to Rooney I thought ok we’ll see, but seriously this kid could end up as Ortas best ever buy. Not seen anything like him for a while
Wow! Sounds extremely promising
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Fridge wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:21 am Regrettably I’ve not watched him yet in any of the U23s games that he has played in.

He's a naturally skilled dribbler and finisher for sure, but what's really stood out to me is his attitude. This kid is pretty ferocious, he hunts down the ball ruthlessly like a young man possessed and has the power and fight to muscle out players much bigger than him. And he does it all the way through the game, very focused.

Someone else pointed this out yesterday so I know it wasn't just me who was impressed by one particular moment where he was doubled up on and dispossessed in the final third by their LB (who was one of Wolves' standout players). Geldhart chased him back all the way down the pitch and gave him an aggressive but perfectly weighted shoulder, claiming that ball back with something approaching indignation. I actually laughed aloud when I saw it.

But yeah, the controlled aggression in this lad is quite something else. He's got a wicked strike on him too. If he keeps up, we're going to have our own Diego Costa - sans the self-destructive savagery.
Last edited by mothbanquet on Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:47 am Not seen him either Fridge but this is from another site.

Made 19 appearances for Wigan last season in the championship so Joe at least is not being totally chucked in the deep end as oppose to some of our young players suggested whom have never played a competitive league game in their career so far!

Should make the bench this season with a few sub appearances hopefully
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

1964white wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:17 am Made 19 appearances for Wigan last season in the championship so Joe at least is not being totally chucked in the deep end as oppose to some of our young players suggested whom have never played a competitive league game in their career so far!

Should make the bench this season with a few sub appearances hopefully
He certainly looks like he's got the attitude to compete. Once Drameh and Hosannah get their partnership sorted and concede less goals I think Geldhart and Greenwood will be a proper menace in the PL2. Geldhart already looks like one of those strikers who defenders genuinely fear.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

I watched both the Under 23 games and Gelhardt definitely has something about him. Strong on the ball. Surging runs. You see the Rooney comparisons in that it's more sheer will on the ball than deft touches. His work rate is great too. As Moth referenced above, he works hard to get the ball back and isn't afraid of throwing himself around. He had one really good run where he picked up the ball in front of his own box, and went on a 60 yard run down the right wing.

At full strength he's not making the bench yet - Bamford, Rodrigo, Roberts give us enough options. But he's one injury away imo
1964white

Post by 1964white »