Breakout Star

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Breakout Star

Post by Cjay »

If any of our young players are going to nail down a starting role next season who will it be?

Lots of contenders.

New boy Joe Gelhardt, fringe flyer Jamie Shackleton, silky dutch boy Pascal Struijk, left footed dynamo Leif Davis.

Personally i think fleet footed winger Ian Poveda is the most likely.

He must have worked so hard during lockdown to impress MB, we know how hard it is to force your way into MB's tight squad so that shows his desire to succeed and for him justifies leaving Manchester City. Furthermore he seems to get on well with his teammates, really taken to him it seems.

He presses and works hard which is vital in the system and vital if he wants to stay in MB's plans.

For me he is the most positive of our wingers, he is uber direct, his 1st though is to go forward and be progressive, in the Prem where space should be less limited thats a real asset to have.

Also he is a tricky kid, he has that Messi low centre of gravity and quick feet, able to wiggle out of tight spaces making pressing him very risky. Standing off him isnt sensible either because he is fast and confident running with the ball.

Finally, he has a decent footballing brain for one so young. You can tell he came from a place where top players were. He has clearly watched De Bruyne, David Silva, players who know when to pass and where.

So imo Ian Poveda has the best chance of forcing his way into our first 11.
What do others think? Who could be our next breakthrough star :)
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Breakout Star

Post by weasel »

I think injuries would likely be the easiest way in for any of our youngsters. Shackleton is probably the closest to being a first team starter although Strujyk hasn't done himself any harm and would likely be first choice back up now as centreback and def mid.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Shackleton is the obvious contender
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Dont rule out young albeit very young Charlie Allen.
Yes just a kid.. but as we must know if their good enough !
Kids that are willing to listen and have the desire to not be afraid to not only show themselves but have the proper appetite will usually succeed.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Shackleton isn't a breakout star, he's been in the first team for 2 seasons.

Depending on if we improve in certain areas, I'd say Casey or Cresswell as I see us being light there. Perhaps Kenneh too.
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Poveda looked our best winger, who actually looked to play a decent ball in rather than the usual fayre.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

As a lad local to me (born in Kippax and now domiciled in Garforth) Shacks would be my hope, and a nicer lad you couldn't wish to meet. We don't have a lot of pace in midfield, and he has it in abundance. Game time in the Prem could be difficult for him, and there is talk of him going on loan in the Championship, but I hope that we hang on to him. Joe Gelhardt is very, very highly thought of.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gandalf wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:03 pm As a lad local to me (born in Kippax and now domiciled in Garforth) Shacks would be my hope, and a nicer lad you couldn't wish to meet. We don't have a lot of pace in midfield, and he has it in abundance. Game time in the Prem could be difficult for him, and there is talk of him going on loan in the Championship, but I hope that we hang on to him. Joe Gelhardt is very, very highly thought of.
Shacks is a versatile player & has an eye for a goal
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:54 pm Shackleton isn't a breakout star, he's been in the first team for 2 seasons.

Depending on if we improve in certain areas, I'd say Casey or Cresswell as I see us being light there. Perhaps Kenneh too.
You have to remember the premier league is a big step up for those three players without any championship experience

One or all three could go out on loan

As for Shacks he's never cemented a place in the first team, he is definitely ready to step up imo!
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

they may get a run out in the cups if we face lower league opposition, other than not sure, unless depleted by injuries. not bielsa's way
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Poveda will smile his way into the first team. The joy on his face was palpable when he set up Shakelton's goal.

I am reminded of what Cantona said. "The best moments of my career was when i made a pass that allowed a team mate to shine and have the glory"

If we have players that play for each other then we will do just fine in the premiership.Image

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Poveda and Shackleton and Meslier look the most likely, though Shackleton should have been a first teamer last season but injuries stepped in the way. He looks the best of them all, though.

Poveda can come on for Costa and Shacks for Klich. Meslier I hope will take over from Casilla who is a liabilty.

Gotts, Davis, MacAlmont, Stevens I reckon may be playing for Barnsley or Huddersfield, which wouldnt be a bad thing.

Although if we make four signings it might change the dynamic somewhat.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

I'm going to go with Pascal Struijk. He looks a big strong lad and we will need more of that in the Prem.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Poveda looks like he's ready - I think it was just taking some time for him to get acclimated to Bielsa ball

Shackleton should be heavily involved next year

If we don't sign another striker, then Gelhart could have a big role to play off the bench
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Bogusz
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..