Signing new Leeds contract not a priority for Marcelo Bielsa

Comment on MarchingOnTogether.co.uk news stories.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Signing new Leeds contract not a priority for Marcelo Bielsa

Post by YorkshireSquare »

This week saw the Leeds United players return to training and with the new Premier League season just four weeks away Leeds fans are keen to know if and when Marcelo Bielsa will be signing a new contract to remain as head coach next season. But in an interview released this week on the Square Ball podcast, Leeds United’s managing director Angus Kinnear revealed that “it’s just not a priority” for Marcelo Bielsa like it is for everyone else.

Whilst contracts and salaries are a big part of the modern game, it is not what motivates Marcelo Bielsa. After all, he gave away a large proportion of his first seasons wage to his old club Newell’s Old Boys to improve their training facilities. He’s just got more important stuff on his plate with such a short turnaround before the new season. Further improvements to the training ground ahead of the new season, creating training plans, analysing the new opposition and identifying transfer targets are all much more of a priority to Bielsa than signing his contract.

Despite the contact still not having been signed the club are not concerned, they’d like him to hurry up and sign but there’s no anxiety about it. It doesn’t sound like Bielsa is holding any sort of threat over them, they’re very much working together and the club are adamant they’ll get good business done in this window. Bielsa is meeting with Victor Orta almost daily to speak about transfers and planning for the new season. There’s a great deal of optimism within the club for the season ahead.

The fans may be anxious, but it doesn’t look like Bielsa is going anywhere. Bielsa has remained in Wetherby, studying his papers in Costa coffee, stopping for selfies with fans in the high street, going for Sunday lunch at Piccolino with the family, walking back from Thorp Arch in his new adidas training gear, even catching the Number 52 bus to Elland Road all whilst technically working for free. Every player who has signed for the club this window has mentioned Bielsa as a big part of their reason for signing. There is nothing to suggest he is leaving!

When he finally does free up time to put pen to paper everything will fall into place. Continuity was key to last season and our promotion push and it will be again in our bid for survival next season. The improvement in the players during Bielsa’s first season was remarkable enough but last season they improved further and developed their style into one capable of winning the Championship by ten points. The Premier League is undoubtedly a step up but what he can do in the Championship I’m so excited for Bielsaball to be unleashed on the Premier League next season.

The full hour long interview with Angus Kinnear is avaialble on The Extra Ball podcast with a shorter version due to be released in this weeks Square Ball podcast available online or via your regular podcast service
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Signing new Leeds contract not a priority for Marcelo Bielsa

Post by SG90 »

Surely he has to sign before the season starts? How would he be allowed to coach us otherwise?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

He is coaching us out of contract, not sure how the start of the season would alter that. if he can do it now he can do it then I'd have thought. If there were a rule then he's breaking it now.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

faaip wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:29 pm He is coaching us out of contract, not sure how the start of the season would alter that. if he can do it now he can do it then I'd have thought. If there were a rule then he's breaking it now.
I can just imagine someone like Dyche moaning if he's not contracted tbh. Plus as it's Leeds, the gutter press would make a huge deal out of it.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

So Marcelo has his family with him in Wetherby, that's good
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

SG90 wrote:
He is coaching us out of contract, not sure how the start of the season would alter that. if he can do it now he can do it then I'd have thought. If there were a rule then he's breaking it now.
I can just imagine someone like Dyche moaning if he's not contracted tbh. Plus as it's Leeds, the gutter press would make a huge deal out of it.
Careful mate, he's probably reading all your comments!
Actually I think he loves to meet fans in person and maybe doesn't even read fan sites. I don't know that, but he's not easily swayed and one thing's for certain - he'll do things his way.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Plus, he's merely workng as a volunteer - nothing wrong with that.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

According to the Daily Star the reason Bielsa hasn't signed is because he has been too busy celebrating our promotion!

You couldn't make it up - well you could if you were a Daily Star 'journalist.'
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Or an Express journo who have said Barca are after him ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

faaip wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:55 pm Or an Express journo who have said Barca are after him ...
There may be some truth in that, as they need to be completely overhauled. However, with Bielsa, Barcelona would fail the interview. Just not the sort of place or team he would be interested in.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

A thought crossed my mind, but maybe Bielsa feels guilty taking money/wages during the off season due to the Coronavirus situation and its financial impact? It seems like the kind of person he is.
Andyi148

Post by Andyi148 »

Barcelona have gone for him 4 times and he has rejected them 4 times, he won’t leave Leeds for a bigger team, 1/2 more seasons then I imagine be would leave to have a break
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

I think this is a case of the conclusion being so foregone that there's simply no rush in his mind. It's in his inbox, he'll get to it once more important and immediate concerns like transfers and preseason organisation has been sorted.