Marcelo Bielsa

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Re: Marcelo Bielsa

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

1964white wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:56 pm I watched Rodrigo closely today.

Three times when tracking back he gave up

Twice Pablo chased back & caught the man he was tracking

That's the difference with the effort between our 35yo talisman & £27m Spanish international is there for all to see.

Take the effort & fire out of our bellies and we are ordinary
I read this on a site ;

Ayling gives Rodrigo a rollicking

"In the 41st minute, as the first half began to peter out, Luke Ayling’s frustrations with how the match was going shone through.

Rodrigo, not for the first time, failed to stay with his man and track back as Brighton drove up the pitch and onto the Leeds defence.

The visitors won a throw-in and while the ball was dead, Ayling made sure Rodrigo knew how unhappy he was with the work ethic and usefulness without the ball. It lasted a good 10 seconds or so."
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng ... -worksheet

Portero Problematico.

Once again Mr Squires is on the money. :)
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:14 am I read this on a site ;

Ayling gives Rodrigo a rollicking

"In the 41st minute, as the first half began to peter out, Luke Ayling’s frustrations with how the match was going shone through.

Rodrigo, not for the first time, failed to stay with his man and track back as Brighton drove up the pitch and onto the Leeds defence.

The visitors won a throw-in and while the ball was dead, Ayling made sure Rodrigo knew how unhappy he was with the work ethic and usefulness without the ball. It lasted a good 10 seconds or so."
If fans saw it Rodrigo's lack of effort it wouldn't have gone unnoticed with Bielsa, Marcelo rarely changes his team but don't be surprised if Rodrigo is benched for our visit to St James Park
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

1964white wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:17 am If fans saw it Rodrigo's lack of effort it wouldn't have gone unnoticed with Bielsa, Marcelo rarely changes his team but don't be surprised if Rodrigo is benched for our visit to St James Park
Perhaps Leon he hasnt fully recovered from Covid?
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:28 am Perhaps Leon he hasnt fully recovered from Covid?
Maybe Ian, shouldn't have been selected if he wasn't fit
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

1964white wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:24 am Maybe Ian, shouldn't have been selected if he wasn't fit
True but Covid is not fully understood and we are short on players.

Roberts has had it too I believe, and we played Koch with an injury.
'
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Pep on MB.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Cjay wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:23 pm
Pep on MB.
Well at least £8m a year is some kind of compensation.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Melódica de Bamford.

😄
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Such a class act....

Rival boss expresses support for Lampard following Chelsea sacking
Lampard built one of the best groups in English football — the whole world — and evidently that group needed development and time.
I regret that a colleague who has designed a very interesting project wasn’t able to finish it
English football, which had been a leader in the world in allowing managers time to develop their projects, has stopped doing so.

You do not need the whole article...just MB's comments to see the class and integrity he has...
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

I think Marcelo is too generous in his assumption that Lampard would build anything other than a disjointed team of overpaid superstars, no matter how much time he was given. Not forgetting also that Marcelo 'built' this brilliant Leeds team in about six weeks, without spending anything.
billysboots
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by billysboots »

SaraM wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:54 am I think Marcelo is too generous in his assumption that Lampard would build anything other than a disjointed team of overpaid superstars, no matter how much time he was given. Not forgetting also that Marcelo 'built' this brilliant Leeds team in about six weeks, without spending anything.
Marcelo is just being nice, he probably thinks Frank is a tosser the same as us.
We don’t have to be nice about it. 😉
There Is Only One United.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

billysboots wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:18 am Marcelo is just being nice, he probably thinks Frank is a tosser the same as us.
Very true. I sometimes wonder how Marcelo squares his respectful and professional demeanour with his innate honesty and not suffering of fools. That isn't at all a criticism btw.
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

SaraM wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:25 am Very true. I sometimes wonder how Marcelo squares his respectful and professional demeanour with his innate honesty and not suffering of fools. That isn't at all a criticism btw.
It's a good point, as I know many wouldn't be as professional and respectful as MB is. At the end of the day it is because class is permanent, something Lampard sorely lacks.
Last edited by Lumiukko on Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

SaraM wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:54 am I think Marcelo is too generous in his assumption that Lampard would build anything other than a disjointed team of overpaid superstars, no matter how much time he was given. Not forgetting also that Marcelo 'built' this brilliant Leeds team in about six weeks, without spending anything.
And thats the whole point of the man isnt it Sara...lets his actions speak for him...
billysboots wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:18 am Marcelo is just being nice, he probably thinks Frank is a tosser the same as us.
:tup:
SaraM wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:25 am Very true. I sometimes wonder how Marcelo squares his respectful and professional demeanour with his innate honesty and not suffering of fools. That isn't at all a criticism btw.
:) Must be very difficult for him ...
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

I don't think there are enough superlatives for Bielsa. He is a genius. And his philosophy is always right. If it doesn't always succeed, it's not because he's wrong, it's because players, refs, VAR officials, groundsmen, medical staff etc. are not up to his standards. Or else opponents have spent hundreds of millions on players. And once every now and again you get the Black Swan event, like defeats at home to Wigan.

I don't get this whole "he should buy a bigger centre half, he should tighten the defence". He has spent 40 years and hundreds of thousands of hours honing his craft, his art. Leeds United is his crowning achievement, he has transformed players, a team, a club, a city. And he has done it by insisting on a brand of football that has left critics open mouthed, that everyone says cannot work...yet it does. I wouldn't change a hair on his head, let alone suggest he change his philosophy. The only downside is, we can't replicate him, we can't keep him on to him forever. But we should enjoy every single minute he spends at the club, and thank God, Buddha or Muhammad that he has landed at Elland Road.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Mountain wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:36 pm I don't think there are enough superlatives for Bielsa. He is a genius. And his philosophy is always right. If it doesn't always succeed, it's not because he's wrong, it's because players, refs, VAR officials, groundsmen, medical staff etc. are not up to his standards. Or else opponents have spent hundreds of millions on players. And once every now and again you get the Black Swan event, like defeats at home to Wigan.

I don't get this whole "he should buy a bigger centre half, he should tighten the defence". He has spent 40 years and hundreds of thousands of hours honing his craft, his art. Leeds United is his crowning achievement, he has transformed players, a team, a club, a city. And he has done it by insisting on a brand of football that has left critics open mouthed, that everyone says cannot work...yet it does. I wouldn't change a hair on his head, let alone suggest he change his philosophy. The only downside is, we can't replicate him, we can't keep him on to him forever. But we should enjoy every single minute he spends at the club, and thank God, Buddha or Muhammad that he has landed at Elland Road.
Excellent post Mountain...and welcome to the forum...I concur 100% with your thoughts...

Edit... I do think he chose us and not the other way around, I think the team at the time and the club fit his vision of what he wants to truly build ...
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Don’t know if this has been posted elsewhere:

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Interesting really that the only 'praise' for Lampard is that he built a team. Hardly praise as such that he bought a load of players. Not that he assmbled a team to fit a tactical plan, showed tactical awareness etc etc.