Marcelo Bielsa

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Marcelo Bielsa

Post by Smudge3920 »

Bielsa being Bielsa...
Leeds boss Bielsa admitted he will employ a "riskier approach" as his side travel to Old Trafford on Sunday afternoon after an emphatic 5-2 victory last time out
Marcelo Bielsa won't park the Leeds bus at Old Trafford to stop Manchester United
And although he admits it's “risky”, Bielsa intends to fight fire with fire by adopting their usual strategy – and attacking Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's stars from the start in their eagerly awaited clash today.
The Argentinian coach recognises the danger the speed and creativity Marcus Rashford, Bruno Fernandes, Anthony Martial and Mason Greenwood pose to his stars or their set-piece threat.
But he insists sitting back to nullify United's threat simply isn't an option.

“Sometimes when a team is judged to be naïve, you have to think what would make you change your own way of playing," said Bielsa.]
There's a very safe way of doing this by playing a neutral game, with us playing in our own half so there are no counter attacks.

“But we aren't prepared to do that.

Good old MB...knows no fear.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Suppose after some of the tonkings handed out across this league thus season the only way to stand out is to hand them another one.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Post by Boo Radley »

This is going to be super entertaining for every neutral watching - may even set some sort of record.

For both sets of fans it could be a day for heart tablets, hiding behind the sofa or running wildly around the garden with your shirt over your head!
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Boo Radley wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:19 am This is going to be super entertaining for every neutral watching - may even set some sort of record.

For both sets of fans it could be a day for heart tablets, hiding behind the sofa or running wildly around the garden with your shirt over your head!
:rol: :rol: :rol:
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Irish Ian wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:49 pm Bielsa comes 2nd behind Klopp in the Fifa Coach of the Year.

Not bad.
Fitting for me. What Bielsa did here at Leeds was the equivalent of Lewis Hamilton jump starting a mini metro and going on to win LeMons. It can not be underestimated. They all came, they all tried, and they all failed... that was until God provided his fair right hand to let England know there is justice in the world, but perhaps not this one.

There was only One..... Diego Armando Maradona. What you gave to the world will never be equaled. The balance between positive & negative forces being the constant struggle. :)
billysboots
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by billysboots »

Boo Radley wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:19 am This is going to be super entertaining for every neutral watching - may even set some sort of record.

😮 Bit cold for running around the garden, think I’ll content myself with the sitting room. 🙂
There Is Only One United.
mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

Bielsa has done to use what Wenger did to Arsenal, changed the club from its roots up.
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Bit worried for MB's health.

He gets very worked up in games these days, man in his mid 60s shouldn't be getting so worked up.

Imo i would be surprised if he stayed for another year.

He has never done 3 years before so grateful he stayed thia season but not sure he will want another year.

Stressful being a Premier league manager, the squad needs a lot of work and money, will take years to create a side ideal for him.

He is 66 next year, been away from his family for most of the last few years, the world has changed drastically in that time, probably want to spend more time at home?

Do wish he'd be a bit more tactically flexible.

But we are where we are because of him and we will always be grateful for that.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

/
Signed

King Cjay

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:32 pm /
Totally different to any other PL manager
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Based on money spent on the squad vs league position we are the best in the league.

6 places higher than the squad value.

17th most expensive squad, 11th placed.

No team has a better ratio.
Signed

King Cjay

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

and how much less would the squad be worth without Bielsa's influence. Would KP have hit these heights under a different manager, Dallas, Ayling etc.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Like the New England Patriots we're system team..lets hope we have the same amount of success ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:05 pm and how much less would the squad be worth without Bielsa's influence. Would KP have hit these heights under a different manager, Dallas, Ayling etc.
I don't think so Weasel :(

We can only hope Bielsa stays on his bucket at ER as god knows what effect another coach could have on Marcelo's disciples.
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

1964white wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:06 am I don't think so Weasel :(

We can only hope Bielsa stays on his bucket at ER as god knows what effect another coach could have on Marcelo's disciples.
That’s the worry as whoever comes in to follow MB will have their own style which would be completely different to Bielsaball. I’m not sure who his assistants are but if he’s got an understudy lined up then the same high energy, all out attack would continue. Carlos Corberan was highly rated before he left to manage Huddersfield but their results are hit and miss but they do have a pretty poor squad.
I think MB will stay for at least another year as imo he seems very relaxed on the touch line compared to other managers, there’s not a single manager past or present that I haven’t seen confronting the officials, ranting at players, angry post match interviews blaming everybody and everything for the way their teams been beaten. MB is unique with his style of play and how he calmly and methodically goes about his business.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Problem is MB has a license to play this way from us, if he goes and we promote an acolyte then he's on a short leash.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Definitely speaks better English than he lets on :)
Signed

King Cjay

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Bielsa a supposedly world class coach outdone by another tinpot manager
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

Got it all wrong today

Line up should have been:

Ayling Struijk Cooper Dallas

Klich

Raphinha Pablo Rodrigo Harrison

Bamford

It was clear to see how much better we were once Struijk moved to CB and (more importantly) Ayling back to RB (was up into the box about 20 seconds after the switch).
Ron Swanson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ron Swanson »

Watching Struijk play like a donkey in midfield just saddens me.

I've gone beyond the shouting at the TV, and shaking my head stage as well, to just despair.

He's a very good prospect as a centre back, just leave him be, rather than fannying about with him.

I'd put a clause in Bielsa's next contract, giving the club the right to sack him without pay off if he is so stupid as to put Struijk there again.