Marcelo Bielsa

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Re: Marcelo Bielsa

Post by Fridge »

Ron Swanson wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:26 pm He's a very good prospect as a centre back, just leave him be, rather than fannying about with him.
Spot on. :tup: :tup: :tup:

Let the lad develop in the position he belongs.

Midfielders and CBs should not mix. Would much rather see a CM drop into CDM than a CB come forward into CB. Klich fairs as a much better back up CDM than Struijk for just that reason.
Ron Swanson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ron Swanson »

Lots of centre backs can play in ‘normal’ midfield roles, but not the one that Phillips plays.

Where you are expected to break up attacks and be a playmaker from deep.

Struijk is the victim of having a better passing range than Liam Cooper, and is being forced to deputise in a role that he has neither the legs or footballing brain for.

Thinking of gifted centre backs, some of the best I’ve seen like Paul McGrath, Lesley King... could fulfil the role but after them I’m struggling.

As I’ve said before, I’d sooner play Ayling or Dallas in there. Both are quicker and better passers, as is Shackleton.

Ben White isn’t the quickest but he ran around Pascal like he wasn’t there, at least twice.

It reminded me of David Beckham against Ian Harte.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Problem with shoehorning Cooper straight back in the team, even though he isn't good enough to be a guaranteed starter.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Fridge wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:23 pm Got it all wrong today

Line up should have been:

Ayling Struijk Cooper Dallas

Klich

Raphinha Pablo Rodrigo Harrison

Bamford

It was clear to see how much better we were once Struijk moved to CB and (more importantly) Ayling back to RB (was up into the box about 20 seconds after the switch).
No, Klich is not a DMF...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cooper is the best CD here not called Llorente (and that's a guess based on price) and Koch
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
gessa

Post by gessa »

faaip wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:18 pm No, Klich is not a DMF...
As I said pre match we don't have an adequate replacement for Phillips. Koch did play there and got a lot of plaudits for Germany but obviously he's not available.
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

faaip wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:18 pm No, Klich is not a DMF...
And Struijk is!?
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Fridge wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:03 pm Spot on. :tup: :tup: :tup:

Let the lad develop in the position he belongs.

Midfielders and CBs should not mix. Would much rather see a CM drop into CDM than a CB come forward into CB. Klich fairs as a much better back up CDM than Struijk for just that reason.
Phillips arguably wouldn't have developed into the player he is without moving between midfield and CB.

Klich playing deeper neutralises his attacking creativity. It's a balancing act when we don't have Phillips, and there are no ideal solutions.

MB doesn't always get it right, but you can see that he is trying to balance the team across the whole pitch, sometimes at the expense of a particular position or player. It's usually a compromise of defence for attack, because that's how we most often win games.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

gessa wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:22 pm As I said pre match we don't have an adequate replacement for Phillips. Koch did play there and got a lot of plaudits for Germany but obviously he's not available.
But it'd be as wise to move Rodrigo back as it is to have Klich play there, last time he did he looked lost and a lot worse than Struijk did today.. Jenkins is the only real box to box mid we have outside of Kalvin while Forshaw is injured.. I might have played Llornete there today though
gessa

Post by gessa »

faaip wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:26 pm But it'd be as wise to move Rodrigo back as it is to have Klich play there, last time he did he looked lost and a lot worse than Struijk did today.. Jenkins is the only real box to box mid we have outside of Kalvin while Forshaw is injured.. I might have played Llornete there today though
Shackleton for me.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Fridge wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:25 pm And Struijk is!?
Better than Klich yes..
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

gessa wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:22 pm As I said pre match we don't have an adequate replacement for Phillips. Koch did play there and got a lot of plaudits for Germany but obviously he's not available.

Llorente and Koch are the options, both injured unfortunately.

We are almost better off not trying to replace Phillips, Klich and Shack in a pivot against Villa worked well. I think we are better off playing Pablo when Phillips is out of the side too, plays deeper than Rodrigo, provides more support.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

faaip wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:28 pm Better than Klich yes..

Definitely is. My big issue is moving players around, you lose more than you gain in some cases.

Ayling moving to the middle means we lose his overlapping and attacking runs. Dallas is less effective on the right. Klich is just better as the No. 8.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

You keep Struijk at DMF he will improve, Kalvin was poor for a few games after Bielsa arrived as he settled.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

gessa wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:27 pm Shackleton for me.
Looks a little small to me, add a few pounds and maybe, think wing back is his best position
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:31 pm Definitely is. My big issue is moving players around, you lose more than you gain in some cases.

Ayling moving to the middle means we lose his overlapping and attacking runs. Dallas is less effective on the right. Klich is just better as the No. 8.
Indeed Adam

Far too many positional changes, even our two wingers swapped wings today.

Also we only have one way of playing, we can't adapt to a plan B because we are not coached any other way, on a pitch in that dreadful condition we'll struggle to win games at ER from here on.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

faaip wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:35 pm Looks a little small to me, add a few pounds and maybe, think wing back is his best position
I think he's a Saiz replacement. He's never had a chance in that position.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

faaip wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:35 pm Looks a little small to me, add a few pounds and maybe, think wing back is his best position

Seems to be what Bielsa things. I like him though, I think he's a tidy footballer.
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

faaip wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:28 pm Better than Klich yes..
Struijk has just flapped around out of position for 65 minutes.

As soon as Struijk moves back into CB we start to get a slight foothold in the game and no longer look overrun in midfield.

Same thing happened the last time Struijk was played at CDM v Villa. Looked out of his depth, picked up a silly yellow in the first 15 mins and was off by the 20th. Brought on Shackleton, had Klich sitting a little deeper and we won 3-0.

Struijk is not a CDM. Nor is Klich but I’d pick a midfield of Klich, Shack and Rodrigo over Struijk, Klich and Rodrigo any day.

SaraM wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:26 pm Phillips arguably wouldn't have developed into the player he is without moving between midfield and CB.

Klich playing deeper neutralises his attacking creativity. It's a balancing act when we don't have Phillips, and there are no ideal solutions.

MB doesn't always get it right, but you can see that he is trying to balance the team across the whole pitch, sometimes at the expense of a particular position or player. It's usually a compromise of defence for attack, because that's how we most often win games.
Well of course we know that Phillips is a special player and had an easier time of dropping from CDM to CB than Struijk has from CB to CDM.

And of course Klich playing deeper neutralises much of his attacking threat but as you say it’s a balancing act. Simply put, Struijk was terrible today and looks a whole lot more convincing at CB.

Of course it is only my opinion but Klich with an experienced head brings more at CDM than Struijk. And that isn’t me standing on my soap box and proclaiming that Klich is a great CDM, merely than when I’ve seen Klich play there he’s played a 5/10 to Struijk’s 2/10.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:30 pm Llorente and Koch are the options, both injured unfortunately.

We are almost better off not trying to replace Phillips, Klich and Shack in a pivot against Villa worked well. I think we are better off playing Pablo when Phillips is out of the side too, plays deeper than Rodrigo, provides more support.
Rodrigo is really a false no 9 - he's not really a proper no 10. It's not surprising, as his true position is no 9. Whatever, it doesn't work.