Marcelo Bielsa

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Re: Marcelo Bielsa

Post by Fridge »

1964white wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:11 am I have the utmost respect for Klopp & Pep however would those two great coaches have turned a mid-table set of players around with little investment as Bielsa has achieved?
I think not 64, both have invested huge amounts into their teams.

Managing a top team full of high-maintenance players on £200k+ a week is another challenge altogether. They are able to hold their own against the toughest opposition in the world and for that Klopp and Pep are truly elite level managers. They are very different managers to Bielsa. I think Klopp in particular would be capable of instilling a culture in the club (as he has at Liverpool) that would be enough to get us up but I'm really not sure that he would be able to do it within 2 years and with virtually no investment.

Whether Bielsa would be able to manage a Man City or a Liverpool, I am not sure. He is known for not getting along too well with prima-donnas and I don't know whether he would be able to get along with some of the top players.

Bielsa's ability to take our players and turn them into competent PL players, and to make our club as competitive as it is in the Premier League is a stroke of absolute genius. I truly consider him to be one of the top coaches in the world.

But whilst what Bielsa has done to the team is one thing, the changes he has made to the culture and spirit of our club is what he will be remembered for. I don't think that this is something that opposition fans can truly appreciate, but I am certain that every single Leeds fan on this forum knows exactly what I am talking about. The way he has brought our city and fans together is something that is difficult to put into words. It is something that truly cannot be explained, but is felt in the hearts and minds of everyone who loves Leeds United.

So bravo Marcelo, the man who Leeds will never ever forget.
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Well done MB (Vote for Marcelo, link in opening post)

Post by White Riot »

Cjay,

Many thanks for posting this, you're a superstar :star:

I've just followed the link, created an account and voted for Marcelo.

For all he's done for our club and the sacrifices he's made in his life for football I think it's the least we can do for him.

Everybody please vote for MB and get him this award :clap:

:celeb:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Four points from two - pleased with defensive performances?

"The defensive performance in the last two games, it was better against Arsenal than Everton. Against Arsenal we encountered not a lot of danger. Against Everton we received some chances which could have resulted in goals.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ten games in - overall assessment of Leeds return?

"I’m always a little reluctant to answer this question. If you observe, we had a favourable start to the season where the goals we conceded did not really affect the results because we were scoring plenty and then there was a period where we conceded a lot and weren’t efficient in attack. The third period where we haven’t conceded goals, but created opportunities to win. Which three of these periods describes us (poor connection)"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

How enjoyable to be coaching against the best coaches and teams in Europe?

"Always to play against those who are better [?]. It’s a challenge for whoever has to compete, it’s a challenge they enjoy"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chelseamatch was the first time Leeds failed to win after scoring first in any single away game under Marcelo Bielsa across all competitions.

Games: 26
Won: 25
Drawn: 0
Lost: 1
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Did anyone notice Bielsa go absolutely bonkers when Coops played a pass out to Dallas who miscontrol the ball.

Marcelo turned his back to the game, jumped two feet into the air with his arms outstretched.

Haven't seen MB so animated previously :shock:
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

1964white wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:41 pm Did anyone notice Bielsa go absolutely bonkers when Coops played a pass out to Dallas who miscontrol the ball.

Marcelo turned his back to the game, jumped two feet into the air with his arms outstretched.

Yes saw that, Dallas took a heavy touch, Bielsa was right behind him on the touchline and went Ballistic!

Bad day at the office all round
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:11 pm Yes saw that, Dallas took a heavy touch, Bielsa was right behind him on the touchline and went Ballistic!

Bad day at the office all round
Marcelo seems more anxious in his crouching position during our games this season, he spent more time on his bucket when we were in the championship
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

1964white wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:41 pm Marcelo seems more anxious in his crouching position during our games this season, he spent more time on his bucket when we were in the championship
I think he is enjoying the challenge of the PL

I’m sure he’ll be more comfortable when he’s (still) managing us in 2030/31 :clap:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:41 pm Did anyone notice Bielsa go absolutely bonkers when Coops played a pass out to Dallas who miscontrol the ball.

It is so frustrating for a manager when the team loses possession like that when under no pressure from the opposition, either by a poor pass or poor control. We did it so many times that it is no wonder Bielsa was getting so angry. When we pass the ball about at the back and then all around the pitch it tires the opposition out as they are constantly chasing, give them the ball so cheaply and the whole gameplan falls apart. That is why we looked so poor for large parts of the match.
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

According to the stats on Wikipedia, Bielsa has managed Leeds now for 112 games.

His longest managerial job? Athletic Bilbao - 112 games.

Meaning that once he has taken charge of our game against West Ham on Friday, Leeds becomes his longest job in management (in terms of games managed).
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Fridge wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:02 pm According to the stats on Wikipedia, Bielsa has managed Leeds now for 112 games.

His longest managerial job? Athletic Bilbao - 112 games.

Meaning that once he has taken charge of our game against West Ham on Friday, Leeds becomes his longest job in management (in terms of games managed).
Does anyone think that the reason MB has not stayed long with clubs is because when he believes he can take them no further that is it for him?...He seems to like his one year contracts, (I think I am right in saying he has never been fired), always controls his own fate/future.
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

Smudge3920 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:16 pm Does anyone think that the reason MB has not stayed long with clubs is because when he believes he can take them no further that is it for him?...He seems to like his one year contracts, (I think I am right in saying he has never been fired), always controls his own fate/future.
There might be an element of that.

But I’d like to think that he hasn’t stayed at these clubs for too long because he hasn’t felt at home.

He was at Newell’s as a coach for 12 years (10 years as a youth coach). Perhaps he is happy in Leeds and will stay with us for a few more years, I sure hope so.
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

Bielsa makes it into ESPN’s top 10 managers in world football:
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Smudge3920 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:16 pm Does anyone think that the reason MB has not stayed long with clubs is because when he believes he can take them no further that is it for him?...He seems to like his one year contracts, (I think I am right in saying he has never been fired), always controls his own fate/future.
He leaves when either he feels he has failed or he loses the trust and confidence of the owners. Bielsa has at Leeds what he has always asked for. To paraphrase the owner of Lazio."Bielsa won't be happy until we give him the keys to the gates"
Radz has given Bielsa everything he has to keep him happy.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

weasel wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:38 pm It is so frustrating for a manager when the team loses possession like that when under no pressure from the opposition, either by a poor pass or poor control. We did it so many times that it is no wonder Bielsa was getting so angry. When we pass the ball about at the back and then all around the pitch it tires the opposition out as they are constantly chasing, give them the ball so cheaply and the whole gameplan falls apart. That is why we looked so poor for large parts of the match.
Agree, though in Dallas' case, his feet both hit the astroturf just outside the touchline and that caused his feet to slip out from underneath him. Not sure Bielsa would have realised that at that particular moment. No excuses for poor passing at other times though.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Well done MB (Vote for Marcelo, link in opening post)

Post by White Riot »

Bielsa has made it to the top three :clap:

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/12/11/i ... t-tweeted/
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

MB has now coached Leeds for more games than he has coached any other club - lucky us :)
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.