Play the kids against Hull?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
andrewjohnsmith
First Team
First Team

Team vs Hull?

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

I'm hoping we give the Cup competitions a real shot this year. All the emphasis and pressure have been on the league for the past years. But this year the pressure is off. I think a few of the players might be knackered but I'd still like to see first team players, especially those that need match fitness and more preparation:

Meslier - Ayling, Koch, Cooper, Douglas - Strujik, Shackleton, Roberts - Alioski, Poveda, Rodrigo

Play Strujik at back again if Cooper isn't ready

I'd rest Klich and Phillips who got slight niggles, and Harrison, Costa, Bamford, Dallas, Hernandez might all be a bit knackered after that run out.
We've been through it all together. And we've had our ups and downs
mothbanquet
First Team
First Team

Re: Team vs Hull?

Post by mothbanquet »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:35 pm I'm hoping we give the Cup competitions a real shot this year. All the emphasis and pressure have been on the league for the past years. But this year the pressure is off. I think a few of the players might be knackered but I'd still like to see first team players, especially those that need match fitness and more preparation:

Meslier - Ayling, Koch, Cooper, Douglas - Strujik, Shackleton, Roberts - Alioski, Poveda, Rodrigo

I'd rest Klich and Phillips who got slight niggles, and Harrison, Costa, Bamford, Dallas, Hernandez might all be a bit knackered after that run out.
Agree with all that. Definitely want Koch and Coops to start building that understanding, Poveda to get a chance to strut his stuff and to give Rodrigo a chance to make amends. He'll be busting a gut to do just that.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Play the kids against Hull?

Post by YorkshireSquare »

This season has to be about survival in the Premier League, about creating a platform to build on in terms of both the finances and squad. With a small squad we don’t have much scope for competing on multiple fronts, sending the U18s to Accrington being a prime example.

So how do we go about Hull in the League Cup? Fulham on Saturday has to be the focus, so do we go with 11 changes on Wednesday night. Play the U23s plus Rodrigo and Douglas?
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Re: Play the kids against Hull?

Post by dezzy »

Definitely play a much changed team, give guys game time, poveda Shacks etc, Ali and kiko will add experience and Cooper too to get 60 minutes if he’s fit
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
Boo Radley
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Team vs Hull?

Post by Boo Radley »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:35 pm I'm hoping we give the Cup competitions a real shot this year. All the emphasis and pressure have been on the league for the past years. But this year the pressure is off. I think a few of the players might be knackered but I'd still like to see first team players, especially those that need match fitness and more preparation:

I’d go with that selection, and those to be rested. However I think Bielsa may use this game to build a relationship/familiarity between keeper and CB’s from Saturday. I can’t see him risking Cooper if that injury only surfaced before the Liverpool game, so it could be Koch and Struijk in front of Meslier again. Who to play at DM would be interesting should Philips be rested, as I think he should be.
Smudge3920
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Smudge3920 »

dezzy wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:42 pm Definitely play a much changed team, give guys game time, poveda Shacks etc, Ali and kiko will add experience and Cooper too to get 60 minutes if he’s fit

Later in the season I might agree, but many of the first team still need much needed game time... have to use this opportunity to get it with no prem pts at stake.
Side before self & MOT
Richard
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

I’d play Koch and Struijk together, they need to build up an understanding. If Cooper is fit I’d give him 45 minutes in the second half, Alioski and Poveda wide, I’d give Rodrigo 45 minutes coming on as a 10 and start with Gelhardt.
SaraM
Manager
Manager

Post by SaraM »

Play the first team, barring niggles and injuries. It's a good opportunity to sharpen up and build confidence.
Leeds are a myth.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Playing a few young uns in the cups but with enough seniors to pick up a few wins is on my mind the way to go.

A cup run lifts the whole fanbase as well as the club.

Get to the later stages and perform like we did yesterday could get us to a Final Then look forward a possible Euro qualification
'We can wait for the next game with serenity'

'I am quite clear in my mind that one has to feel sincere love for those he leads, and if he doesn't feel it naturally, then he must learn how to feel it' Marcelo Bielsa

'Would he kill his granny to win a match?' Bobby Collins
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

I'd go.

Meslier

Dallas
Koch
Casey
Ali

Struijk

Poveda
Shacks
Rodders
Greenwood

Gelhard
Pykie
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Pykie »

I think we need to give some of the kids a run.

But given the short pre-season and international break, we also probably need to use the opportunity to give Koch and Rodrigo a run also.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of Koch/Struijk play the full 90 in this, with the other being laid over for Fulham.

I think Rodrigo should probably play the full 90 also, as Bamford will still start against Fulham and the few days recovery isn't as critical if he only plays 20-30mins again.

Would like to see Gelhardt involved somehwere.

I'd like to take this cup fairly seriously. As of this season, the winner gets awarded a Europa League spot, which is an identical reward to winning the FA Cup. If the winners of both the FA Cup and League Cup have already finished in the top 5, then 6th and 7th in the PL receive Europa League spots (Not out of the realms of possibility....) .

Qualifying for Europe in some way may also get us Bielsa for another season....