Leeds United v Fulham FC - MATCH THREAD - Cooper & Rodrigo in for Struijk & Hernandez

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
nickjett
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Leeds United v Fulham FC - MATCH THREAD - Cooper & Rodrigo in for Struijk & Hernandez

Post by nickjett »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:42 pm I gave Meslier credit for a composed display. But you just reminded me of something I forgot. There was a cross that came right to him. It was so easy that I had time, to say, "Oh nice, easy take" and pick up my coffee cup before I was saying "WTF?" when he punched it. It was a strange choice because it was right at him and there was nobody near him. Other than that (the 2nd goal which he might have saved) he had a good game
yeah I know exactly what cross you mean...and it wasnt exactly a great clearance of a punch :lol:

I'm not sure about meslier atm..everyone remembers the arsenal game. His distribution was insane..but since then, its been know where near as good. Yes hes an improvement on casilla and hes pretty good with his feet. But I'm not as fully confident as I should be if we had a been there and done it prem keeper.

He also seems to fall in slow motion to low shots lol.

I'm not saying hes not one for the future..just feel atm we need something stronger. Especially with how much space we seem to be giving opposing teams .
Aussieleeds
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Leeds United v Fulham FC - MATCH THREAD - Cooper & Rodrigo in for Struijk & Hernandez

Post by Aussieleeds »

Some of us going negative pretty early. This is the same Meslier who kept those clean sheets last season under pressure. Same Meslier who made a couple of great saves against Liverpool. A different keeper and there’s no 2nd goal for Costa.
rab_rant
Superstar
Superstar

Post by rab_rant »

under unfair scrutinyImage

But the post match interview and the "Chichigua". incident will have endeared Marcelo and his interpretor to the hearts of the Spanish speaking nations.

With the smiles and laughter i thought they were both going to loose it, and had to do their best to keep it under control.
Wonderful to see the playful side of their nature.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Last edited by rab_rant on Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
BobHirst
First Team
First Team

Post by BobHirst »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:32 pm Last year I was convinced Orta misunderstood Bielsa when he said "I want Costa" I thought he was ordering a cup of coffee. This year it's starting to look like he did mean Helder Costa after all.
If that's the case, I wonder what he meant this year when he said "I want Koch".
hector

Post by hector »

BobHirst wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:16 am If that's the case, I wonder what he meant this year when he said "I want Koch".
:rol: :rol:
Smudge3920
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Smudge3920 »

Spent the last couple of hours reviewing my thoughts on the game... earlier in a post I said we need to give serious consideration to acquiring a rock solid defenceman, I have since accepted that was an over reaction on my part based on going from 4-1 to 4-3.
Cooper can help Koch with his transition to Bielsa ball, and I do believe on reflection they will be a stand out duo given more game time (the next few weeks), as the season progresses and both Cooper and Koch get time with Struijk I think we will be just fine in this area of the field.

Glenlivet and a cuban havana do wonders to to help you settle down and really reflect on things ... :tumbler:
Side before self & MOT
mothbanquet
First Team
First Team

Post by mothbanquet »

Smudge3920 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:51 am Spent the last couple of hours reviewing my thoughts on the game... earlier in a post I said we need to give serious consideration to acquiring a rock solid defenceman, I have since accepted that was an over reaction on my part based on going from 4-1 to 4-3.
Cooper can help Koch with his transition to Bielsa ball, and I do believe on reflection they will be a stand out duo given more game time (the next few weeks), as the season progresses and both Cooper and Koch get time with Struijk I think we will be just fine in this area of the field.

Glenlivet and a cuban havana do wonders to to help you settle down and really reflect on things ... :tumbler:
The issues with this game weren't our CBs. Break down the specifics of each goal and you'll see just that. Maybe Meslier could have done a bit better but the crux of the issue was a) an unusually large gap left between Cooper and Dallas for the Fulham second because Harrison didn't track all the way back, and b) Harrison not getting back in time to stop the cross for their third. You can actually see him arrive too late and waft a leg up to block even though he was six feet away.

It's a well known fact that if you stop Mitrovich's service, you stop Mitrovich. He would've scored that header against most teams in the league, it's his bread and butter. The failure was in stopping the service.

Honestly I was worried that Harrison had picked up some sort of injury not long into the second half. He wasn't moving right all game.
Smudge3920
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Smudge3920 »

mothbanquet wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:28 am The issues with this game weren't our CBs. Break down the specifics of each goal and you'll see just that. Maybe Meslier could have done a bit better but the crux of the issue was a) an unusually large gap left between Cooper and Dallas for the Fulham second because Harrison didn't track all the way back, and b) Harrison not getting back in time to stop the cross for their third. You can actually see him arrive too late and waft a leg up to block even though he was six feet away.

It's a well known fact that if you stop Mitrovich's service, you stop Mitrovich. He would've scored that header against most teams in the league, it's his bread and butter. The failure was in stopping the service.

Honestly I was worried that Harrison had picked up some sort of injury not long into the second half. He wasn't moving right all game.
Hence my reflection and reversal of acquiring a rock solid defenceman. Also Mitrovich used Coops as a ladder on his goal, so the challenge wasn't as good as it could have been....the point I was making was that Coop's and Koch will be fine.
Side before self & MOT
mothbanquet
First Team
First Team

Post by mothbanquet »

Smudge3920 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:44 am Hence my reflection and reversal of acquiring a rock solid defenceman. Also Mitrovich used Coops as a ladder on his goal, so the challenge wasn't as good as it could have been....the point I was making was that Coop's and Koch will be fine.
That said, watching their second back repeatedly, Cooper was way too far forward and left that space behind him. It's so hard to tell when they've got either Jarhead haircuts or Shoreditch Samurais.

Still Harrison at fault for the third imo.
Chilli D
First Team
First Team

Post by Chilli D »

nickjett wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:32 am yeah I know exactly what cross you mean...and it wasnt exactly a great clearance of a punch :lol:

I'm not sure about meslier atm..everyone remembers the arsenal game. His distribution was insane..but since then, its been know where near as good. Yes hes an improvement on casilla and hes pretty good with his feet. But I'm not as fully confident as I should be if we had a been there and done it prem keeper.

He also seems to fall in slow motion to low shots lol.

I'm not saying hes not one for the future..just feel atm we need something stronger. Especially with how much space we seem to be giving opposing teams .
Southampton are prepared to let either Fraser Forster or Angus Gunn go out on loan apparently. Just saying.
gessa
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by gessa »

Chilli D wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:54 am Southampton are prepared to let either Fraser Forster or Angus Gunn go out on loan apparently. Just saying.
Well we'll need someone, Kiko could be out for a couple of months, so any injury to Meslier and we have 2 18 year olds to choose from.
gessa
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by gessa »

For what it's worth, the biggest problem for me yesterday was our inability to hold on to the ball, the passing was awful far too often
mothbanquet
First Team
First Team

Post by mothbanquet »

gessa wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:24 am For what it's worth, the biggest problem for me yesterday was our inability to hold on to the ball, the passing was awful far too often
Agreed, a lot of it not even under much pressure if any. So frustrating when we were 4-1 up and looking to go on to a massive win. Even when the fourth went in I was saying to myself 'remember Cardiff'.
Chilli D
First Team
First Team

Post by Chilli D »

mothbanquet wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:40 am Agreed, a lot of it not even under much pressure if any. So frustrating when we were 4-1 up and looking to go on to a massive win. Even when the fourth went in I was saying to myself 'remember Cardiff'.
Yeah, when we went 4-1 up I almost put "game over" on this thread but I remembered Cardiff and thought better of it.
The last 15 minutes seemed to take forever and Paul Merson wasn't helping matters with his oohs and aahs every couple of minutes on GSS.
mothbanquet
First Team
First Team

Post by mothbanquet »

Chilli D wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:52 am Yeah, when we went 4-1 up I almost put "game over" on this thread but I remembered Cardiff and thought better of it.
The last 15 minutes seemed to take forever and Paul Merson wasn't helping matters with his oohs and aahs every couple of minutes on GSS.
Yeah I won't be saying game over till we start looking as solid as we did last season. In this league, that's going to take a while. The more I watch that second Fulham goal, the only one we've really conceded so far by being 'outplayed', the more Cooper looks to have switched off. It was his first game back so hardly panic stations, but we're going to have to just accept the fact that for a long while we're going to leak goals at this level.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

mothbanquet wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:28 am The issues with this game weren't our CBs. Break down the specifics of each goal and you'll see just that. Maybe Meslier could have done a bit better but the crux of the issue was a) an unusually large gap left between Cooper and Dallas for the Fulham second because Harrison didn't track all the way back, and b) Harrison not getting back in time to stop the cross for their third. You can actually see him arrive too late and waft a leg up to block even though he was six feet away.

Jack should have been subbed after a non-existent first-half & that 2nd goal, Dallas was struggling at times but with little help from Harrison he was left no mans land.

Even the BT commentary team were saying Fulham have to deliver the ball into the box much better to give Mitrovich a chance, their first decent cross into that area & Mitrovich beats Cooper easily in the air.

No problems from the right with Ayling & Costa doing their job efficiently

I did think we stood off too much when Fulham ran at us with pace!
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:24 am For what it's worth, the biggest problem for me yesterday was our inability to hold on to the ball, the passing was awful far too often
Particularly from the back, players in the premier league anticipate passes much quicker.

Learning process for our players!
lufc1304
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Passing off, CH pairing changed again, KP poor (though exposed) by his own standards and Harrison anonymous. Yet we won, and personally thought we outplayed Fulham for most of the game. It is a learning curve for the entire squad, only Pablo and Bamford have actually played in the Prem. It will take a little time, but I've seen enough in both games to think we will be fine. Do agree that we need another keeper. Not necessarily to replace Meslier, but to keep him honest with Kiko hurt. I think his situation is like a heightened version of BPF's, only Meslier is doing his on the job learning in the Prem goldfish bowl. I'd like him to be a bit more dominant in his area, and he's going to have to work on shot stopping low to either side (I think it was faaip said it's tough for very tall keepers to get down quickly), but he's a decent keeper who will only improve with experience.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Boo Radley
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Boo Radley »

mothbanquet wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:07 am Yeah I won't be saying game over till we start looking as solid as we did last season. In this league, that's going to take a while. The more I watch that second Fulham goal, the only one we've really conceded so far by being 'outplayed', the more Cooper looks to have switched off. It was his first game back so hardly panic stations, but we're going to have to just accept the fact that for a long while we're going to leak goals at this level.
The second Fulham goal was a real concern for the reason you mentioned mothbanquet. Philips was far too easily rounded, Dallas was caught out of position, Cooper also out of position and I also thought that Meslier should have gotten to the shot. That may be a bit harsh but a fully extended right arm would’ve gotten a touch on that.

At 4-1 up we need to have a policy of securing that score. Let the opposition have that score sink in. Getting caught out so badly all over the defence then is just too naive. We should look to change the tempo and be more cynical. Any team 3 goals down in the second half will either give up(possibly not) or they will get reckless and we can pick them off on the counter - which we can do better than most. If we stay frantic it opens an unlikely door for them. It’s just unnecessary.
mothbanquet
First Team
First Team

Post by mothbanquet »

Boo Radley wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:44 am The second Fulham goal was a real concern for the reason you mentioned mothbanquet. Philips was far too easily rounded, Dallas was caught out of position, Cooper also out of position and I also thought that Meslier should have gotten to the shot. That may be a bit harsh but a fully extended right arm would’ve gotten a touch on that.

At 4-1 up we need to have a policy of securing that score. Let the opposition have that score sink in. Getting caught out so badly all over the defence then is just too naive. We should look to change the tempo and be more cynical. Any team 3 goals down in the second half will either give up(possibly not) or they will get reckless and we can pick them off on the counter - which we can do better than most. If we stay frantic it opens an unlikely door for them. It’s just unnecessary.
I would be more concerned if it was a regular thing, Boo. We'll see how it goes. I've watched that goal back dozens of times and yes, Cooper left some space but Harrison still didn't pick up their RB - if he had him covered then Dallas could've made up the ground quicker for whatever error Cooper made. At first I thought Dallas lost his man but it was a combination of those two factors and made poor Stu look bad when he was busting a nut to do an impossible task.

I'm going to cut Jack some slack here because we gave away possession so sloppily at times. It's not his fault if he bombs up the pitch after we win it back, only to give it away two seconds later and he's not only got to realise that's happened - but then double back and get to his man. I'm not sure if that was the case for either/both goals since the highlights don't show it but thinking about it, that's only logical.

Ironically, Fulham were playing such a high line in the second half that both our third and fourth came from counters. In the last ten minutes we could've probably nicked another 1 or 2 if it wasn't for some poor quality on the ball in the attacking third, likely caused by nerves at that point.