Rodrigo as a 10

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Rodrigo as a 10

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

So let's assume we don't sign a Playmaker any time soon.

Do we see Rodrigo Moreno as an answer at #10? With Pablo going down today it opened up the spot. Towards the end of last year, I was impressed with the impact that Pablo had coming off the bench and I think that will bring the best out of him this season.

I liked what Rodrigo did in the first half. It will be a long path to the first team for him to replace Bamford. After the way Bamford has started, I'd say Rodrigo will be coming off the bench for at least the next month or so as a #9.

But I do see him as really useful in that 10 role. Bielsa likes to play Roberts there, and Rodrigo is definitely better in the role than Tyler. He's got great technical ability and the work rate. He covers in the wing back positions as needed. Maybe it's a good plan for an attacking formation and against better teams we'd be better off with Forshaw or Shackleton.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Rodrigo as a 10

Post by The Subhuman »

I assumed he'd be the 10 for us when we bought him.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

He played as sort of a ten in a front 2 for Valencia with Maxi Gomez.

Definitely capable.

He will be fine, needs some time, its not mentioned much but before his games for Spain he had been injured since the beginning of February.

Think you can see he is class, his movement, little touches, could definitely see him as a 10 and he should start vs Blades.

Unless of course De Paul has arrived (pleaseeeeeee).
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Cjay wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:01 pm Unless of course De Paul has arrived (pleaseeeeeee).
If De Paul arrives, he'll be on the bench until the FA Cup 3rd Round. You know Bilesa
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

faaip wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:54 pm I assumed he'd be the 10 for us when we bought him.
That was my assumption as well.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

faaip wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:54 pm I assumed he'd be the 10 for us when we bought him.
I'd always assumed we'd signed Rodrigo as a number 9. But with Bamford not letting go of that shirt any time soon, it's nice that Rodrigo can play a couple of other positions - and play them well
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Given his scoring record I also thought he was being signed as a no.10 primarily but being able to slot in at 9 if Bamford got injured.
Aussieleeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Aussieleeds »

Based on the last couple of games I’d be pretty comfortable with Bamford, Moreno, Costa, de Paul and Hernandez as our attacking options.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

So hard to predict, but I do believe Rodrigo could take the #10 position with Pablo as an impact player for the last 1/3rd. If we get RDP, which for me is looking less and less likely, then it opens up even greater options. Firmly believe Paddy is going to hold onto the 9 shirt. The addition of RDP would make that attack group one of the best in the league IMO ( Bamford, Costa, Morino Hernandez (and fingers crossed) RDP.
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

I’m sure initially he was signed to replace Bamford but that’s not going to happen for a while.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Bamford & Costa are the two surprising candidates who have stepped up to the premier league level with aplomb :clape:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:25 am Bamford & Costa are the two surprising candidates who have stepped up to the premier league level with aplomb :clape:
One thing worth noting when discussing Bamford and Costa is the improvement Harrison made in his second season working under Bielsa. This is Costa's 2nd season and with PB missing most of the first season it is in effect his second season. I doubt either PB or Costa had ever had to run anywhere near as much in matches as they have had to under Bielsa and I thought both looked sharper after lockdown too.

A lot of people have spouted nonsense over the years about Bielsa's teams doing worse in the second season but for me I feel the opposite is the case if players want to continue improving as they will have built up a huge base or core fitness in the first season so they should be able to improve considerably in the second season as their starting fitness and recovery will be much higher and so they won't be playing tired, or on empty, and will be more used to getting into the right positions almost on auto pilot.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:05 am One thing worth noting when discussing Bamford and Costa is the improvement Harrison made in his second season working under Bielsa. This is Costa's 2nd season and with PB missing most of the first season it is in effect his second season. I doubt either PB or Costa had ever had to run anywhere near as much in matches as they have had to under Bielsa and I thought both looked sharper after lockdown too.

A lot of people have spouted nonsense over the years about Bielsa's teams doing worse in the second season but for me I feel the opposite is the case if players want to continue improving as they will have built up a huge base or core fitness in the first season so they should be able to improve considerably in the second season as their starting fitness and recovery will be much higher and so they won't be playing tired, or on empty, and will be more used to getting into the right positions almost on auto pilot.
Second season syndrome is why we may not see the best of Koch & Rodrigo until next season, still believe they'll make a decent contribution this season coming into their own in 2021/22
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Possibly, Leon, but the hope has to be that, as established internationals, their learning curve may not be as steep. Can see both really stepping up as the season progresses. The one thing that will take time is getting thier core fitness up to the level required for Bielsaball
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I think Koch should be fine, there is a lot less movement required for centrebacks than other players under Bielsa which is why I think White was also able to hit the ground running last season. Definitely trickier for Rodrigo but you would hope that they have seen enough about him and the way he plays that they can get him acclimatised quicker - although he may be used more as an impact sub initially or being first in line if one of Bamford, Harrison, Costa or Pablo is injured. We saw with Nketiah last season that he was only really back-up for one position and as PB only once got injured Nketiah wasn't called upon as often as if he was more versatile (and it was also the case that it wasn't like Nketiah could start and PB could play as a winger). Bielsa's insistence on versatility is key to being able to have a small and happy squad as players won't simply be sat on the bench all season and not play (aside from Robbie Gotts last year).
Last edited by weasel on Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
gessa

Post by gessa »

I think there were some good things from Rodrigo yesterday, work rate was good, will probably see him get the hour next couple of weeks, then he'll be flying after that.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Looking at that Pablo-esque through ball from Klich (not the first one either) to set up Bamford, I'd be more than happy with Rodrigo being turned into another Klich.
gerryjo1984
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by gerryjo1984 »

He needs time but i thought he was poor yesterday. Being a 10 for us is different to being a 10 at most clubs with the responsibilities Bielsa puts on that position.

Yesterday, he done the running okay and got into the defensive positions he'll have to take but there was a series of play and he was at best half-hearted. It felt like he was showing himself to get into the areas but had no interest in making the necessary challenges. Watching it i thought Bielsa will never stand for that and sure enough, hooked at the break.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Rodrigo thinking about sticking one away.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

rab_rant wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:52 pm Rodrigo thinking about sticking one away.
Yeah. He's definitely got some moves