The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 21st September) - Orta frustration at Bielsa not using £50m war chest

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 21st September) - Orta frustration at Bielsa not using £50m war chest

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Monday 21st September, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Seven goal thriller at Elland Road

For the second week running Leeds were subjected to a seven goal thriller, albeit this time, Bielsa's babes came out victorious. The home side settled down quickly and were ahead on 5 minutes. Aylings deflected corner found Helder Costa, deep beyond the far post. He took a touch, then smashed the ball into the back of the next via the upright giving Areola no chance.

Another moment of madness from Koch helped the Cottagers draw level ten minutes from half time. The German International bought down Joe Bryan on the far side of the penalty box. Not only was the tackle clumsy, but the left back posed no threat on the Leeds goal. Mitrovic made no mistake from twelve yards.

In the closing minutes of the first half, Bryan gave Bamford a shove in the back as the Leeds forward tried to get on the end of a cross. The man in Black, Anthon Taylor had no hesitation but to point to the spot. Polish International Klich sent Areola the wrong way to put the Whites deservedly in front at half time.

Five minutes after the interval, Bamford extended Leeds lead. Klich carved the Fulham defense open with a stunning through ball, and Bamford was there to double his tally for the season.

Bamford went from scorer to provider for Leeds fourth just before the hour mark. His delightful cross found Costa in acres of space, and the 26yo doubled his tally for the afternoon. That's three in opening two games of the season. Decordova-Reid and Mitrovic set up a tense finish, but it was three well earned points for the Whites.

During Leeds opening two games, we have seen 14 goals, the most in a top-flight side's opening two matches since Wolves in 1962-63. Where are Leeds the weakest? Should Meslier have saved any of the goals? How long will Leeds purple patch in front of goal continue?

Bielsa's press conference

Marcelo Bielsa speaking to BBC Match of the Day...
This won't be a constant all year. It is very difficult to maintain the efficiency [in front of goal] we have had in these first two games.

The characteristics of our game is to create goal scoring opportunities. In these two games we have created very little but we have scored all our chances.

We have had two very different games. Against Liverpool we tried to get close to a very big rival and today we tried to not be caught by Fulham. Both were very difficult games.

Fulham boss Scott Parker...
There were a lot of encouraging things. You go 4-1 down away from home and they could really drop their heads. I didn't see that in my team. I saw a real character and determination.

The biggest thought in my head is that you cannot give up goals that we have given up today. You can't expect to score four or five goals to win football matches in this league.

If you give up goals too easy you aren't going to win many. I just worry that a red bolt doesn't go off for us. We need to smell it [danger] and sense it in those moments that are crucial in games. Sometimes we are a bit too nice.

I see an innocence about them not being streetwise. Overall there are a lot of positives but there was one negative which I realise is going to be the difference between us getting results or not.

Latest transfer news

With the transfer market slamming shut two weeks tomorrow, Leeds need to put their foot on the accelerator if they are to add to their Senior squad.

Chairman Andrea Radrizzani made it clear to the Financial Times last week that a further 50m is available if Bielsa wants to spend it. Unfortunately for Leeds fans, the Argentine seems reluctant to give the green light. According to Phil Hay, Bielsa has surprised Orta by ruling out credible targets on the basis of perceived weaknesses in their ability, the size of his squad or the belief he has sufficient resources already.

The proposed purchase of Udinese midfielder Rodrigo de Paul seems to be dead in the water. The proposed deal has been in the making for weeks and according to Hay, 'still some way from crossing the line, if indeed it ever does'.

Dinamo Zagreb defender Josko Gvardiol is still an achievable target, according to the former Chief football writer of the YEP; even though recent reports have indicated that the young Croatian International does not see his future in West Yorkshire.

The 18yo would cost the Whites 20m, plus a 20% sell on fee. Its a lot of money for someone who would not be first-choice under Bielsa and could find himself behind Pascal Struijk in the pecking order. It will be interesting to see what happens here, as the Mail are suggested that Leipzig have secured his services with a 20m bid that would come into place in January.

There may be a real chace that Leeds may land Dan James from Manchester Utd. The Welsh International was snapped up in front of Leeds nose last Summer, six months after the 22yo arrived at Elland Road for a medical, only for the Swansea Chairman to block the deal at the final hurdle, leaving player and club (Leeds) devastated.

It seems James may be surplus to requirements at Old Trafford, and an offer in the region of 15m, may bring the Hull born winger over the Pennines.

rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 21st September) - Orta frustration at Bielsa not using £50m war chest

Post by rrfierce »

gvardiol going to RB liepzig apparently.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 21st September) - Orta frustration at Bielsa not using £50m war chest

Post by mothbanquet »

Technically, if we can keep conceding one less goal every game like this then we should be unbeatable come Christmas! :)

Gvardiol urinating away a golden opportunity to work under a master and turn him into a world beater, just to go and languish on Leipzig's bench at best, eventually to get shuffled on elsewhere in three seasons and be forgotten. No skin off our nose, time to move on.

I might be dazzled by De Paul's youtube clips but if Bielsa don't want him then he knows better than I, time to refocus if that's the case.

Having just watching the Amazon doc, if we can get James that would be a nice story but that's emotion talking. Unless Bielsa feels he can play him centrally I just don't think there's really room at the inn right now.
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

I'm not convinced about the James story, sounds like its just lazy journalism. He's quick but thats about it. Haven't we already got poveda for that sort of role?

I think we need

GK
CB
AM
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Don't see the point of Gvardiol. We already have young, inexperienced, talented centre backs.

Wonder what MB doesn't like about RDP. Looks like a no brainer to the uninitiated. Still, I'm glad we're not bringing players in for the sake of it.

James surplus to requirement? Think he would be here too.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Clickbait suggestion yesterday that we might now look to Ruslan Malinovski from Atalanta instead of de Paul for a fee of £20m. I know nothing about the guy but his stats look good apparently.

I can't believe Gvardiol has turned down the chance to develop under Bielsa - these Leeds players may be among the last squad to have the privilege given his age and the fact that he's so far from home and family.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

rrfierce wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:58 am I'm not convinced about the James story, sounds like its just lazy journalism. He's quick but thats about it. Haven't we already got poveda for that sort of role?

I think we need

GK
CB
AM
When you say goal keeper, are we talking first team or substitute?
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Carrick Dave wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:58 am Clickbait suggestion yesterday that we might now look to Ruslan Malinovski from Atalanta instead of de Paul for a fee of £20m. I know nothing about the guy but his stats look good apparently.

I can't believe Gvardiol has turned down the chance to develop under Bielsa - these Leeds players may be among the last squad to have the privilege given his age and the fact that he's so far from home and family.
Ahhh, I believe West Ham are after this guy. Their fans are throwing their toys out the pram when we were just linked to him....
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Bielsa is an owners dream. If Radrizzani has put up money and Bielsa doesn't want to waste it. Great. Sounds unlikely that Radrizzani is unhappy about that. I mean, if he wanted a manager who just spent money for the sake of spending money, he could get Solskjaer or Lampard.

Looks like Gvardiol is going to Leipzig. I couldn't be happier. It's taken too long to get an 18 y/o and the price has inflated higher and higher. We haven't heard any "I want to play for Bielsa" noise. Let him go.

RDP deal sounded like it was done again yesterday. Sounds today like RDP and Leeds are unhappy with Udinese's antics
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

If MB thinks we have enough players already then that would suit me, but he did hint last week that there was more to come in, but the fact that Leeds were borrowing the money didn't sit well with me. too much history there.

Saying that If James were prepared to come to Elland Road I think he would be a great addition. His wages are 50k a week though, would him coming in at that salary unsettle a few of the others?
Regarding James I think Old Trafford were only interested in him was because MB was, same as JKA, they only wanted him because we did.

I still would like two players
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Latest news. We want Dan James on loan with a 15m optional buy out clause
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Who doesn't love a 7 goal thriller? Make sure we win tho.

If they did? Its a bit silly of Radz/Orta to be saying Bielsa doesn't want to spend the money. Maybe our player targets are not good enough? Can you imagine it if we were to struggle. Well what do you expect, he had £50m to spend and didn't want to spend it. Mmm

I know James got substituted at half time against Palace but i thought he was one of their success stories last year? 50kpw and they would probably want to double what they paid for him. His pace would be welcome but i think that boat as sailed.

And anyway Paul Merson still see's Man u as the biggest club in the world. And i'm sure they are playing CL this season. Even working for the great man for 1 season would be a hard sell.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Leeds1000 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:23 pm If they did? Its a bit silly of Radz/Orta to be saying Bielsa doesn't want to spend the money. Maybe our player targets are not good enough? Can you imagine it if we were to struggle. Well what do you expect, he had £50m to spend and didn't want to spend it. Mmm
I doubt Radirzzani has said that. Sounds like a story made up by the tabloids. We know Radz has said the money is there, but I think the tabloids are taking the rest for a spin. You know Radz is delighted with what Bielsa gets out of low key players and probably more than happy if he saves him some money too.

Besides, we know we're in for RDP and the only thing holding us back is the transfer fee - which is up to Radz/Kinnear/Orta. nothing to do with Bielsa
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Leeds1000 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:23 pm Who doesn't love a 7 goal thriller? Make sure we win tho.

If they did? Its a bit silly of Radz/Orta to be saying Bielsa doesn't want to spend the money. Maybe our player targets are not good enough? Can you imagine it if we were to struggle. Well what do you expect, he had £50m to spend and didn't want to spend it. Mmm

I know James got substituted at half time against Palace but i thought he was one of their success stories last year? 50kpw and they would probably want to double what they paid for him. His pace would be welcome but i think that boat as sailed.

And anyway Paul Merson still see's Man u as the biggest club in the world. And i'm sure they are playing CL this season. Even working for the great man for 1 season would be a hard sell.
I remember being told that De Paul was not a Bielsa target. Orta put two and two together, plus De Paul is an Argentine International, you'd think he'd snap him up