The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 22nd September) - Leeds launch bids for Erick Pulgar and Dan James

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 22nd September) - Leeds launch bids for Erick Pulgar and Dan James

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Tuesday 22nd September, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

James becomes Bielsa's No1 target

If recent media reports are to be believed Leeds have moved on from Rangers forward Ryan Kent, and are focusing their attention on Dan James. The 22 year old's camp say that James is desperate to make the switch. It will be mutually beneficial to both Leeds and Manchester United if they can push this transfer over the line in the coming days. The former Swansea star is a long term admirer of Bielsa. There will be absolutely no mistake that this ve be Bielsa signing!

It's strange how quickly players fall out of favour at clubs. When he joined Old Trafford, week in, week out all we heard is how James may be their best player. However, by the end of the season James was way down the pecking order. A fee of just £12m plus add ons has been mentioned by the Sun this morning.

Chilean International cheaper option then De Paul

Italian news outlet La Nazione are suggesting that Leeds are preparing to bid for Fiorentina's midfielder Erick Pulgar. The Chilean International midfielder is seen as a replacement for fellow South American De Paul, whose proposed move to Elland Road has never taken off. Talks between the two clubs suggest that a fee of €15m would seal the deal

Paranoid Brighton knock back Leeds again

Leeds have had a formal approach for Brighton central defender Haydon Roberts knocked back.. The promising 18 year old, who has less than 12 months on his contract is very much seen as being a star for the future. Unfortunately, it seems the Seagulls are suffering from paranoia as once again they tell Leeds that they don't want to sell any of their top talent to a club they see as direct opposition!

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 22nd September) - Leeds launch bids for Erick Pulgar and Dan James

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning folk, perhaps by January when Brighton will either have to buy in to fight relegation and we are top half, they will see the error of their ways.

James im ok about.

Never heard of Pulgar.
'We can wait for the next game with serenity'

'I am quite clear in my mind that one has to feel sincere love for those he leads, and if he doesn't feel it naturally, then he must learn how to feel it' Marcelo Bielsa

'Would he kill his granny to win a match?' Bobby Collins
HarryofOz
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 22nd September) - Leeds launch bids for Erick Pulgar and Dan James

Post by HarryofOz »

Maybe we can start a new predictions comp.

Which two new players will we be on the verge of signing on the following day.
A Roman walks into a bar, sticks two fingers in the air and says 'five beers please'.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Morning EB et all

Oh my god we've been linked with another player :shock:

I love the fact we seem to be bidding for all the Brighton defenders, I hope that Victor is on line checking the Brighton team then phoning and making random bids just to piss them off :lol: :lol: :lol:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Velotrax
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Velotrax »

HarryofOz wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:32 am Maybe we can start a new predictions comp.

Great idea mate !
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Dan James

Be happy to have Dan here if its a cheap deal and as a backup option but not as a 1st choice.

Brighton

Oh please no more Brighton defender talks, had my fill of those

Pulgar.

As a player fine, we need an extra cm as well as a 10 but Pulgar was found guilty of causing someones death by a hit and run, the guy should have gone to jail so its a no from me, absolutely not.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I would take Dan James over any of our other targets. After our failed attempt to sign him he had some superb performances for Swansea, Man U and Wales. He hasn't lost his pace or ability to run with the ball what he probably has lost is his confidence and he has likely not been coached properly. There would be two key differences I fell if he came to us. First is obviously Bielsa and he could do wonders with him but perhaps just as crucially is the team at Leeds and we don't have stuck up cretins playing for us, we have a squad of players that all seem united in supporting each other and giving everything. Man U as a lot of talented individuals but most are the sort of people you wouldn't want to have a pint with down the pub. Dan James needs support, from a manager, team mates and fans - from the outside it looks like he is getting none of that where he currently is.
Senor El Weasel
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

HarryofOz wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:32 am Maybe we can start a new predictions comp.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So many links to players with very very very few significant signings :( :(
mothbanquet
First Team
First Team

Post by mothbanquet »

Sigh, well, let's just go along with the gossip. We'd have nowt else to talk about between matches otherwise.

Let's take a few stone cold facts into consideration. First, the club is 100% beholden to two policies - Bielsa has to, or near enough has to, sign off on a transfer according to his exacting standards. We're also only signing players better than those we currently have. Secondly, high profile transfer rumours can help us in subtle ways during other transfer negotiations. If we have the appearance of playing hard ball with big targets like De Paul, are clubs who are looking to sell lesser known players like Pulgar more or less likely to test us knowing that we're chasing those targets? The ambiguity of the transfer business, all the rumours, while being maddening for us actually do serve a purpose in the business itself.

Far as James goes, if Bielsa still wants him that's enough for me. He was clearly invested from the start in coming here only to be let down by Swansea and flogged to a soulless monolith. He's seen the shallow side of money and I believe we'll be getting a dedicated, hardworking and extremely talented young player who knows how lucky he is to be at Leeds under Bielsa. That's not a bad thing in the slightest.
Last edited by mothbanquet on Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
mothbanquet
First Team
First Team

Post by mothbanquet »

Ratscoot wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:39 am Morning EB et all

Oh my god we've been linked with another player :shock:

I love the fact we seem to be bidding for all the Brighton defenders, I hope that Victor is on line checking the Brighton team then phoning and making random bids just to piss them off :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm hoping to see a Fonejacker-style compilation video on LUTV when the window shuts.

*ring ring*

"Hello?"

"Roberts. Talk to me."
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:10 am I would take Dan James over any of our other targets. After our failed attempt to sign him he had some superb performances for Swansea, Man U and Wales. He hasn't lost his pace or ability to run with the ball what he probably has lost is his confidence and he has likely not been coached properly. There would be two key differences I fell if he came to us. First is obviously Bielsa and he could do wonders with him but perhaps just as crucially is the team at Leeds and we don't have stuck up cretins playing for us, we have a squad of players that all seem united in supporting each other and giving everything. Man U as a lot of talented individuals but most are the sort of people you wouldn't want to have a pint with down the pub. Dan James needs support, from a manager, team mates and fans - from the outside it looks like he is getting none of that where he currently is.
Would be a great acquisition Weasel, whether we sign him is another matter!

Getting cheesed off with this transfer window as I do every season, thought it would be much easier to attract quality players once we were in the PL, obviously not!
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

Mainly because the transfer window is not a discount warehouse...lots of moving parts have to come together to get a signing over the line. Especially if you don't or can't want to pay ..say 70M for a GK!. Chelsea basically give their target's club a blank cheque to fill in themselves..The Manchester clubs and Pool have the lure of Europe and in two cases top quality managers.

After that it gets a bit trickier for all clubs have pro's and cons. Our cons are: Not in Europe, a coach that may not suit a lot of players, a coach that is happy with his 25 anyway for the most part, the possibility of relegation, we're not mega rich.

The pro's are: A coach who'll stand by you and make you a better player if you do settle, playing great football, a fanbase that will deify you if you become a favourite. You'll become a member of the Leeds family that Rads and co, and the fans have created
Rod Stewart and Ron Wood look like somebody ordered the same rock star in two different colours.
mothbanquet
First Team
First Team

Post by mothbanquet »

faaip wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:39 am The pro's are: A coach who'll stand by you and make you a better player if you do settle, playing great football, a fanbase that will deify you if you become a favourite. You'll become a member of the Leeds family that Rads and co, and the fans have created
Players that join for these reasons will be the reason we stay up because they'll play their hearts out instead of downing tools at the first sign of trouble. Remember Fulham...
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:39 am The pro's are: A coach who'll stand by you and make you a better player if you do settle, playing great football, a fanbase that will deify you if you become a favourite. You'll become a member of the Leeds family that Rads and co, and the fans have created
You'd think players would jump at the chance of playing under the master

Hang on we're talking about modern day footballers here, second thoughts maybe not!
mothbanquet
First Team
First Team

Post by mothbanquet »

1964white wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:55 am You'd think players would jump at the chance of playing under the master

Hang on we're talking about modern day footballers here, second thoughts maybe not!
Exactly mate :$$:
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

mothbanquet wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:20 am I'm hoping to see a Fonejacker-style compilation video on LUTV when the window shuts.

*ring ring*

"Hello?"

"Roberts. Talk to me."
:lol: :lol: :lol:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mothbanquet wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:20 am I'm hoping to see a Fonejacker-style compilation video on LUTV when the window shuts.

*ring ring*

"Hello?"

"Roberts. Talk to me."
:rol: :rol: :rol:
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Pulgar seems to be quality......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-iRO4oT8Cg

My only question is that he's listed as a defensive midfielder and the one we have right now doesn't really require an upgrade.
Leeds1000
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Leeds1000 »

I think we should be testing Brighton's resolve with a £500k bid for Tariq Lamptey. :)
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

John in Louisiana wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:21 pm Pulgar seems to be quality......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-iRO4oT8Cg

My only question is that he's listed as a defensive midfielder and the one we have right now doesn't really require an upgrade.
Falling into the trap John? Bielsa adds players he likes, he'll sort out a position for them later...How about Pulgar DMF/Phillips CMF/Klich AMF...Klich makes great runs, finds space in the box, has Pablo-esque vision and he can shoot..
Rod Stewart and Ron Wood look like somebody ordered the same rock star in two different colours.