The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 23rd September) Fee agreed for Spanish International Elland Road switch

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 23rd September) Fee agreed for Spanish International Elland Road switch

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 23rd September, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Fee agreed over Llorente deal

Leeds Representatives lead by Victor Orta worked throughout the night to thrash out a deal for Real Sociedad's Spanish International central defender Diego Llorente, with a proposing a medical this afternoon. The San Sabastian Club sent a tweet out last night confirming that an agreement in principle with Leeds had been secured. At 8am this morning an announcement was made that a fee had been agreed between both clubs for Llorente's services.

The 27 year old has five caps for the Spanish national side and was an unused substitute for both of this month's Nations League games. According to the YEP, the deal could cost Leeds as much as 20m, once negotiations are finished. Llorente signed for Sociedad from Real Madrid in June 2017, joining for around £7m on a five-year deal.

Spanish football expert Guillem Balague has backed Diego Llorente to thrive in the Premier League with Leeds.

Diego Llorente is a very athletic centre-back who has played also as full-back and centre-midfielder. Quality with his feet, he struggled a bit as he played left of the two centre-backs this season and had a muscle problem in January. Clever and brave anticipating, but he perhaps needs to be stronger in 50-50s.

Good in set-pieces both defending and attacking (scores goals). He has good pace and will need it to defend the big spaces Leeds create behind defenders. "He perhaps risks too much and produces a mistake or two, but he's considered on his best form to be one of the top five or six Spanish centre-backs.

It will be interesting to see what Bielsa has in store for Llorente? He was originally only looking for defensive cover, leaving Koch and.Cooper to forge a partnership. He can play defensive midfield as well, though of course that position is pretty much secured!

Solskjaer - James will not be moving this Summer

According to Manchester Evening News, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has no intention of letting Daniel James leave Old Trafford this Summer either permanently or on loan.

All this may change, if the Red side of Manchester are able to capture Jadon Sancho from Borussia Dortmund for a reported 90m. It is well reported that Marcelo Bielsa is a staunch fan of James, but will he wait or turn his attention back to Ryan Kent. Media sources are claiming that Leeds are wanting to improve on their 10m bid for the former Liverpool star. Similar to James, Bielsa is a big fan of the Oldham born 23yo.

Rangers have disclosed that Kent has a £20m buyout clause in his contract. Compare that with with the 7.5m Rangers paid for him a year ago!

Premier League expresses disappointment not to allow fans back

The Premier League has issued a statement expressing its disappointment with the Government's decision not to allow fans to attend games from next month. The league maintain that it would be 'safe or safer' for fans to go to football matches than to go to shops, pubs and restaurants. The Premier League's statement read...

The Premier League is certain that, through League-wide guidelines and a code of conduct developed with scientific experts and agreed by the Government’s Sports Ground Safety Authority, fans in stadiums will be as safe or even safer than at any other public activity currently permitted. This is already evident in other European leagues.

The Premier League notes the Government’s announcement today and while the health of the nation must remain everyone’s priority, we are disappointed that the safe return of supporters to matches has been postponed.

The Premier League is certain that, through League-wide guidelines and a code of conduct developed with scientific experts and agreed by the Government’s Sports Ground Safety Authority, fans in stadiums will be as safe or even safer than at any other public activity currently permitted. This is already evident in other European leagues.'

Football is not the same without attending fans and the football economy is unsustainable without them. Last season, Premier League clubs suffered £700m in losses and at present, our national game is losing more than £100m per month. This is starting to have a devastating impact on clubs and their communities.

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 23rd September) Fee agreed for Spanish International Elland Road switch

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning Folks, I'm not commenting on the new signing until I hear what Noel and Danny think. 😉

Shame about the fans but we all know why.
In light of this I think we should start a campaign. #bringbacktheLeedscrowdies.

Please no not pay £20M for Kent. While I admire him as a player he ain't worth that.
Surely if we just kept Pablo in a ice bath between games we could nurse him through to the January window? In fact is there a January window?

Papers talking us about taking Gunn from Southampton on loan.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 23rd September) Fee agreed for Spanish International Elland Road switch

Post by Ratscoot »

Irish Ian wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:15 am Morning Folks, I'm not commenting on the new signing until I hear what Noel and Danny think. 😉

Shame about the fans but we all know why.
In light of this I think we should start a campaign. #bringbacktheLeedscrowdies.

Please no not pay £20M for Kent. While I admire him as a player he ain't worth that.
Surely if we just kept Pablo in a ice bath between games we could nurse him through to the January window? In fact is there a January window?

Papers talking us about taking Gunn from Southampton on loan.
Morning EB, Ian and all

Agree with the comments above from Ian, we definitely need a stand in/replacement for Pablo but £20m for Kent is way over the top IMO
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Can't really add to what's been said already. £20m for Kent playing in a Mickey Mouse league? Wise up, Rangers
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

This Llorente business just goes to show that so much is going on that we're not privvy to, and that a little faith is needed - just because the news isn't reporting something, doesn't mean it isn't happening. Llorente himself looks a fine addition and I hope it urges the defenders we have to bust every sinew and synapse in their duties going forward. Either way, we're going to end up with the best defence we can get at this point.

Regarding James, I don't know why Ole's making those statements, it's a coin toss as to who'll be leaving that club first out of the two of them.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

mothbanquet wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:22 am This Llorente business just goes to show that so much is going on that we're not privvy to, and that a little faith is needed - just because the news isn't reporting something, doesn't mean it isn't happening. Llorente himself looks a fine addition and I hope it urges the defenders we have to bust every sinew and synapse in their duties going forward. Either way, we're going to end up with the best defence we can get at this point.

Regarding James, I don't know why Ole's making those statements, it's a coin toss as to who'll be leaving that club first out of the two of them.
Indeed I doubt Solskjaer has much say on transfer matters
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

I understand that the 20M is his release fee. Rangers want to hold on to him. Of course I am sure they could do with the dosh.
Decent player in the Scottish Prem, Ian, but no way is he worth £20M. Would be extremely disappointed if we spent that money on him. I know Bielsa likes him, but £10M tops and only if we can't get De Paul. We need better than Ryan Kent, no matter the miracles that Marcelo can perform!
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Eireleeds1
Youth Team
Youth Team
Twitter: @kevingaff

Post by Eireleeds1 »

Morning all. I know nothing of any of our new signings so will have to wait till end of October to make any kind of assessment. As for return of crowds, I don’t believe we’ll see anything more than a few thousand at any game this season. Could be next summers transfer window that feels the full impact
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Eireleeds1 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:39 am Morning all. I know nothing of any of our new signings so will have to wait till end of October to make any kind of assessment. As for return of crowds, I don’t believe we’ll see anything more than a few thousand at any game this season. Could be next summers transfer window that feels the full impact
Rumours going round there'll be no more attendances until next March :(

You maybe right with regard to the next couple of transfer windows Eire, I thought it would have a massive impact this summer/autumn, seems to be plenty of expenditure in the premier league.

Major concern is how many clubs will go bust below the PL by the end of this season.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:00 pm Rumours going round there'll be no more attendances until next March :(

You maybe right with regard to the next couple of transfer windows Eire, I thought it would have a massive impact this summer/autumn, seems to be plenty of expenditure in the premier league.

Major concern is how many clubs will go bust below the PL
I'd assume a lot tbh unless they get financial aid either from government (Who now have a 2 trillion debt to deal with) or from the richer clubs. I could see a division going (maybe becoming non league) and some restructuring in the rest outside the prem..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

Evening all... We’re only just starting to see the best of Costa so I don’t think we’ll see the best of any new signing for quite some time.