The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 24th September) Where does Llorente's signing leave Cooper?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 24th September) Where does Llorente's signing leave Cooper?

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Thursday 24th September, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Bielsa gives green light to sign Bayern Munich star

German media outlet 'Fussball Transfers' are suggesting Marcelo Bielsa has given Leeds the green light to negotiate a deal with Bayern Munich for midfielder Michael Cuisance. The former French International youth player, who has just turned 21, made nine Bundesliga appearances for Bayern last term following his €10m nove from Borussia Mönchengladbach last summer. Trying to prise Cuisance away from the Allianz Arena won't be easy. He has already rejected a move to Marseille in the last week saying...

I saw that the club was interested, and I'm flattered. Marseille is a beautiful story. They're a legendary club who have won the Champions League. The coach has done a good job by getting them back into the Champions League. I'm happy for them. But I want to continue to focus on my project at Bayern.

Bielsa's former club wanted Cuisance on loan, whilst Leeds would be looking for a permanent deal. This may give Leeds the edge!

Leeds set to complete the £17m signing of Llorente

Diego Llorente has said his goodbyes at the Anoeta Stadium, passed his medical and is on his way to Elland Road for a fee of 17m.
Having missed out on the signings of Ben White and Josko Gvardiol in recent weeks, Leeds will be delighted to land a defender of Llorente's class without paying through the nose for him.

Where does this leave Cooper? Had Leeds signed Gvardiol, the young Croatian would have only had been a fringe player at Elland Road leaving Koch and Cooper to build a partnership. I'm sure we would have seen cameo roles and filling in for injuries, but in the main stay he was seen as a player for the future.

The same can't be said of Llorente, who is looking to add to his 5 senior caps for Spain. He was on the bench for both of Spain’s Nations League games this month and is considered one of the best centre backs in La Liga. Bielsa sometimes plays three centre backs, but only when playing against teams with two centre forwards. Are Coopers days numbered at Elland Road?

Hull City making audacious Gotts swoop

Robbie Gotts is is in talks about a possible season long loan to Hull City. The Tigers are flying high in the third tier of the football league, including an impressive victory over makeshift Leeds side in the Carabau Cup. Grant McCann would love to make it a hattrick of former Leeds players, having already signed Mallik Wilkes and Louis Coyle during the Summer.

In order to persuade Gotts to go to the KCOM Stadium, McCann must compete with Huddersfield Town which won't be easy as their Manager Carlos Corberan was, until recently U23's Manager at Elland Road.

Last edited by Ellandback1 on Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 24th September) Where does Llorente's signing leave Cooper?

Post by 1964white »

Just hope some more of these star-studded signings come off, we need more quality in PL

I'm a fan of Robbie however Gotts won't gain much first-team football if any this season, Hull have shown interest for a few weeks now
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 24th September) Where does Llorente's signing leave Cooper?

Post by Chilli D »

1964white wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:13 am Just hope some more of these star-studded signings come off, we need more quality in PL

I'm a fan of Robbie however Gotts won't gain much first-team football if any this season, Hull have shown interest for a few weeks now
Personally I think Robbie Gotts should be looking for regular Championship football. He can do better than Hull. Even a good season in League 1 won't give us an idea if he is capable of PL football
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Is it Monday? That means I need to put the bins out again! 😉

Llorente is a strange one really in that he is, I think, older than Cooper, and therefore not the ideal age for a Bielsa buy. He will not have wanted to come to Leeds to be the 3rd choice so I don’t know what to make of that to be honest, but at least there will be some serious competition for the 2 left back spots.

Gotts to go out on loan this season makes perfect sense.

Never heard of Cuisance but must be pretty good if he can get into the Bayern team at 21.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:13 am Is it Monday? That means I need to put the bins out again! 😉

Llorente is a strange one really in that he is, I think, older than Cooper, and therefore not the ideal age for a Bielsa buy. He will not have wanted to come to Leeds to be the 3rd choice so I don’t know what to make of that to be honest, but at least there will be some serious competition for the 2 left back spots.

Gotts to go out on loan this season makes perfect sense.

Never heard of Cuisance but must be pretty good if he can get into the Bayern team at 21.
Meant centre back spots, of course, not left back
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Unfortunately, there is little room for sentiment in football, particularly in the PL, so if Llorente turns out to be better than Cooper and Cooper loses his place then so be it.
Cooper has been a loyal, honest captain for us and that shouldn't be forgotten but the bottom line is we need a squad that has strength in depth and can more than just survive in the PL and we are obviously building towards that with our new signings.
I'm sure Cooper still has a part to play this season and the same will apply to Pablo if we do end up getting RDP.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Chilli D wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:08 am Personally I think Robbie Gotts should be looking for regular Championship football. He can do better than Hull. Even a good season in League 1 won't give us an idea if he is capable of PL football
Apparently not even playing magnificently in the Championship does that
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 24th September) Where does Llorente's signing leave Cooper?

Post by The Subhuman »

Would mean Ayling as Captain and I'm not a huge fan of that...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 24th September) Where does Llorente's signing leave Cooper?

Post by Irish Ian »

Looking back at the Liverpool game, into the final 15 mins when we were hanging on we had nothing on the bench to shore up our defence.

Now we have proper cover. Llorente can playin two positions as well.

I can see Pascal as regular bench player as he can also come on for KP.

Now where is that creative mid we so want to spend our pennies on.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:13 am Is it Monday? That means I need to put the bins out again! 😉
:rol: :rol: :rol:

Our neighbours in our village rely on Jill when she puts our bins out, they all follow suit
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:23 am Would mean Ayling as Captain and I'm not a huge fan of that...
Luke is well respected amongst the players & has got better in that role when he has stood in for Coops
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:18 am Unfortunately, there is little room for sentiment in football, particularly in the PL, so if Llorente turns out to be better than Cooper and Cooper loses his place then so be it.
Cooper has been a loyal, honest captain for us and that shouldn't be forgotten but the bottom line is we need a squad that has strength in depth and can more than just survive in the PL and we are obviously building towards that with our new signings.
I'm sure Cooper still has a part to play this season and the same will apply to Pablo if we do end up getting RDP.
Great coming off the bench & influential with their fellow players in the dressing-room
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:32 am Luke is well respected amongst the players & has got better in that role when he has stood in for Coops
Not the guy I don't like wingers/wing backs/strikers or GK's as captains. You're in a much better position to captain if you're a CB/CMF
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Phillips or Klich for me, Liam can stay club captain
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

We have seen over the years that Cooper does have his fair share of injuries, already missing the Liverpool game this season. I wonder if he has an injury that needs to fully recover which is why they have moved for Llorente. They may have simply patched him up for the Fulham match but have concerns. Llorente is a player that Bielsa has long admired so it may be that the opportunity came up to sign him and it was too good an opportunity to turn down for a player Bielsa likes. Better to have 3 quality centrebacks all fit and available than trying to patch up a defence - especially given how many goals we have shipped already.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Struijk played well enough and was seemingly forming a partnership with Koch at a rapid rate versus Liverpool, so I don't think they rushed back Cooper.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Cuisance is an ambitious signing and he's got the Bielsa Seal of Approval. If we can pull it off, that would be a real statement of intent. Don't really have high hopes of it though, not many would be keen to leave Bayern at this moment no matter how much first team football they're getting.

Gotts wasn't going to break into the first team in a million years, better for him that he goes out into the big wide world and get some experience under his belt.

Llorente's signing gives us cover, options and competition for places. Either Cooper or Koch will make way and it's survival of the fittest. Either way we'll have the best possible defence we can have, no matter who's in it. Coops will always be remembered as will all the players involved, as one of those who brought us back to the Premier League. He will always be remembered for that no matter what.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I don't think he'll force his way in while we're going well anyway...Took Costa half a season nearly
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

1964white wrote: :rol: :rol: :rol:

Our neighbours in our village rely on Jill when she puts our bins out, they all follow suit
So put them out on a different day and see what happens Image

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Dallas, or KP are also viable options as captain.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa