Under 23's v Sunderland Today

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
andrewjohnsmith
First Team
First Team

Under 23's v Sunderland Today

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Good performance by the 23's today. Won 3-1. Greenwood scored a hat trick (including a cracking free kick) and the only blots were a late 2nd yellow for Drameh (unjustified) and a penalty consolation goal conceded.

First team have a week off so they gave run outs to all the fringe players (except Douglas - addressed in a separate post).

Caprile - (DC) Drameh, Hosannah, Cresswell - (WB) McKinstry, Davis (MC) Shackleton, Bogusz - Gelhardt - Greenwood

Gotts, Strujik, and Jenkins replaced Davis, Shackleton and Bogusz at half time. Of note, Strujik played the DMC role hinting that Bielsa still sees him as more important there than at the back. Davis played DMC in the 1st half - obviously getting developed there too.

Greenwood definitely gets the man of the match for a lively performance and clinical finishing. Gelhardt was as busy as ever in the #10 role (nice pass for Greenwood's first). They're both quality. Gelhardt is the better player imo, but if we got injuries at the striker position it would be a tough call as to who gets the call up first.

Bogusz was class in the middle and Davis offered a lot down the left side. Shackleton was a little quiet but had a decent game. Strujik was head on shoulders (literally).

Drameh looks quality at the back. He's physical and great in the one on ones. His background is obviously as a full back and he could do a job there in the first team if needed. He's been playing on the right side of a back three in the 23's and it definitely looks like DC is the way forward for him.

I hadn't been impressed with McKinstry and Hosannah in the first two games, but they both looked good today - maybe because we had a stronger team around them.

Very good performance overall. Outclassed Sunderland, and obviously helped out by the quality of first team fringe players that got a run out. They've got another game on Friday, so there will be plenty of changes with none of the first teamers being available for that game.
We've been through it all together. And we've had our ups and downs
mothbanquet
First Team
First Team

Re: Under 23's v Sunderland Today

Post by mothbanquet »

Just finished watching on YT. Standouts for me:

Greenwood - This lad can't half finish. Superb from him throughout and this partnership with Gelhardt is already shining.
Gelhardt - What a monster this lad could become, absolutely ferocious aggression combined with some terrific footwork and trickiness for a such top-heavy player.
Drameh - Didn't deserve a second yellow in any way shape or form. Brilliant pace and control going forward, amazing anticipation and reading of the game at the back.
Bogusz - Bossed it. Owned the midfield at times.
Leeds1000
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Leeds1000 »

Only watched the first 45. I'm not sure how strong Sunderland are but our boys looked good offensively. Even at this level we don't seem to like high balls in the box.

I thought Davis got forward really well early on. And the lad Greenwood looks like a intelligent player to me.

My only gripe is now we are out of the LC when are these talented boys going to get a sniff? This is why its crucial that we support lower league football so these lads can taste some action. Some talent there for sure.
SG90
Manager
Manager

Post by SG90 »

Bogusz really needs first team football. Whether here or on loan. He needs to be given 10 mins here or there from the bench to work his way in.
I promise to be positive only for 20/21 :)
SG90
Manager
Manager

Post by SG90 »

Leeds1000 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:00 pm Only watched the first 45. I'm not sure how strong Sunderland are but our boys looked good offensively. Even at this level we don't seem to like high balls in the box.

I thought Davis got forward really well early on. And the lad Greenwood looks like a intelligent player to me.

My only gripe is now we are out of the LC when are these talented boys going to get a sniff? This is why its crucial that we support lower league football so these lads can taste some action. Some talent there for sure.
Agree. We've got the two EFL trophy games left, but the likes of Struijk, Shackleton, Bogusz, Gelhardt, Davis, Gotts need first team football not u23s.

Gelhardt still looks raw. I'd like to see a loan out from January onwards after learning the system. Greenwood will make his PL debut before the end of the season, that I'm certain of.
I promise to be positive only for 20/21 :)
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

Rod Stewart and Ron Wood look like somebody ordered the same rock star in two different colours.
Smudge3920
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Smudge3920 »

Excellent hat trick for Greenwood, all 3 quality goal's.
Side before self & MOT