The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 1st October) Orta used De Paul smokescreen to land Cuisance

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 1st October) Orta used De Paul smokescreen to land Cuisance

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Thursday 1st October, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Spanish media disclose Leeds had a 25m offer for Foyth turned down earlier in Summer

Spurs reportedly rejected a bid of £25 million from Leeds for Juan Foyth earlier this summer! The 22 year old Argentine has fallen the pecking order since the arrival of Jose Mourinho last November, starting just one game. Spanish newspaper Mundo Deportivo claim Leeds tabled a £25 million offer to sign Foyth, but the bid was rejected by Spurs.

Foyth has now been offered to Spanish trio Villarreal, Valencia and Real Sociedad on loan – as Spurs look to get some game time for their young star. I'm not sure who was more insane, Leeds for offering 25m, or Spurs for rejecting it.

De Paul smokescreen worked out well for Leeds

Yorkshire Evening Post journalist Graham Smyth has revealed that Leeds never tabled any bids for Udinese midfielder Rodrigo De Paul. The media circus surrounding Leeds interst in the Argentine International created a smokescreen for Victor Orta. He was able to go about his business of getting a deal done with Bayern Munich for Michael Cuisance without alerting any other clubs. Writing in the YEP Smyth said;

While Rodrigo De Paul flirted with fans on social media and kept himself linked to Elland Road, Orta made discreet advances towards Bayern Munich for Michael Cuisance.

A bid, Elland Road sources say, was never made for De Paul and although constant reports turned it into a bit of a sideshow, it acted as a smokescreen that allowed Leeds to get a deal done for a midfielder in relative peace and quiet.

Leeds set to announce Cuisance arrival

Leeds will complete the £18m signing of Bayern Munich star Michael Cuisance this morning, but only after Newcastle Utd tried, and failed to hijack the deal. The French youth international, a close friend of the shot-stopper Illan Meslier has been in negotiations with the Whites all week.

Interest from St James Park began circulating a few days ago, unfortunately for the Magpies, they left it too late as Leeds had all but tied up all loose ends including a buy back clause for the German Champions. Cuisance completed his medical yesterday afternoon, and lets set to be unveiled today.

Leeds receive mix response over third kit design

Leeds United have unveiled a maroon strip to complete their 2020/21 Premier League campaign. The Adidas shirt is a maroon colour that incorporates a fading tonal design on the front, with solid sleeves and back with a gold lining and badge. The hierarchy at Elland Road claim they have used history to influence their latest unveiling, by releasing colours used during the club's European success under legendary manager Don Revie. The kit is meant to look especially good if worn in a darkened room or whilst blindfolded!

mothbanquet
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 1st October) Orta used De Paul smokescreen to land Cuisance

Post by mothbanquet »

I seem to remember suggesting that the ongoing nature of the RDP link had its uses elsewhere... Well played Mr Orta, you're where you belong - in a league that any player with ambition and sense wants to go, allowing you to make full use of your talents. Kudos to you, my partly insane chum!

Wasn't keen initially on the new kit but seeing Pablo in it immediately turns up the sexiness factor to 11. I'm sold.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 1st October) Orta used De Paul smokescreen to land Cuisance

Post by 1964white »

Very crafty Victor....excellent :)
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

I like the third kit...
This is Tinker and my name is er...Spengford Bloke, some kind of robber or ne'er do well
Chilli D
First Team
First Team

Post by Chilli D »

Let's be honest, the RDP link had everyone on here fooled, with a lot of people saying what an excellent signing it would be. It now looks like it was never going to happen.
And that is why I very rarely comment on 'linked' players.
However, although Cuisance hasn't yet signed, the deal looks as good as done and it looks to be a good signing. Let's hope his attitude is good.

I'm not keen on the new third kit but its not the worst kit we have ever had.
The faded gold one we had a few years ago was just hideous.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Morning EB et all

With regards Foyth IMO not worth £25m, I suspect Levy was rubbing his hands together expecting those dumb Northerners to come back doffing our caps and asking him if he'd be happy to take £30m but we are a bit smarter than that now a days and we have bought a couple of CBs IMO who are better and definitely better value for money.

Proves we are a lot smarter now we even use smoke screens, clever chap that Victor :)

As TSB podcast can't wait to see Micky Croissant announced then better still see him play :tup:

As for that Night Out Shirt not for me I'm much more of a stay at home with a G&T and watch MOTD than go dancing
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning Folks.
'We can wait for the next game with serenity'

'I am quite clear in my mind that one has to feel sincere love for those he leads, and if he doesn't feel it naturally, then he must learn how to feel it' Marcelo Bielsa

'Would he kill his granny to win a match?' Bobby Collins
billysboots
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by billysboots »

The new shirt is not my cup of tea but I appreciate that younger (slimmer 😯 ) fans will wear it out to the pub.
There Is Only One United.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Irish Ian wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:51 am Morning Folks.
Hi, Ian!
Fridge
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Fridge »

Spurs turning down that Foyth bid.

Wow! :lol: :lol: :lol:
No Patrick Bamford blasphemy allowed
rab_rant
Superstar
Superstar

Post by rab_rant »

I like tha' maroon shurt it wid go weel wae ma roon shooders.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Not to keen on the kit tbh.

I dont think De Paul was a smokescreen at all. We may never have lodged an official bid but i suspect unofficially we were approaching Udinese and they were saying no.

I dont doubt we wanted De Paul and hope we revisit in the future . . .or now given we need a winger and De Paul can play out wide!!!
andrewjohnsmith
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:10 am
Spanish media disclose Leeds had a 25m offer for Foyth turned down earlier in Summer
25 million was way too high. I think Spurs were mad for turning it down and will never get that kind of offer for him again
Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:10 am
De Paul smokescreen worked out well for Leeds
I don't believe we were never interested. It would be pretty unfair on RDP to be teasing him like that - he believed it because he was responding on social media. I certainly believe we were courting the deal even if we didn't make an official bid.

That said, I really like the way the Koch, Llorente, and Cuisance deals have been done. No fuss.
Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:10 am Leeds set to announce Cuisance arrival
Must be very humbling to Newcastle to see the quality of our signings compared to theirs
Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:10 am Leeds receive mix response over third kit design

No news - If you don't like it don't buy it. There are 2 others to pick from.
We've been through it all together. And we've had our ups and downs
Lumiukko
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Lumiukko »

I sincerely doubt we will go after RDP now anyhow, but I really hope "smokescreen" and all of it's inferred meanings about Leeds United's honesty is just journo exaggeration and not something we have admitted or even indicated to anyone that we have done. It'll do us no favours should we look at other transfer targets; not as if the JKA clusterfeck hadn't potentially done a bit of that to us already.

On the kit, I'm warming to it the more I look at it. My feeling is, that football team's are businesses, and selling shirts is a significant revenue stream. The more shirts sold, the more in the coffers, and the more walking adverts for our team (and our sponsors :oops: ). This third kit will sell aplenty.