The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 19th October) Leeds top table for football-related arrests for last season

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 19th October) Leeds top table for football-related arrests for last season

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Monday 19th October, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Leeds top table for football-related arrests for last season

A report, just disclosed shows Whites fans have had more football related arrests than than any other club in England and Wales during the 2019/20 campaign. In total, 52 Leeds fans were arrested last term, enough to put them atop the league of shame. Leeds supporters were detained 19 times for public disorder, 15 times for alcohol offences, 10 times for violent disorder, three for throwing missiles and two for pitch incursion among other misdemeanours. In total there were 1,089 football-related arrests in the 2019-20 campaign, down 20 per cent compared with 2018-19.

A total of 287 hate crimes were recorded by police at matches across England and Wales in 2019/20 up from 193 in 2018/19. Hate crimes against sexual orientation more than doubled, from 37 in 2018/19 to 78 last season. Race hate crimes increased from 152 to 214.

It is not known whether the arrests that were made at the strongly critisised open top bus celebration were taken into account? The Leeds hierarchy, who had begged fans multiple times over recent days TO STAY AWAY from Elland Road were rewarded for disobeying orders, and treated to the open-top bus celebration. As news spread, the streets around Elland Road become submerged with jubilant (and many drunken) Leeds fans celebrating their clubs success. Chaos quickly spread, with hundreds of public order offences noted, as well as damage to multiple vehicles.

Most football-related arrests by clubs in 2019/20 (England and Wales)

Leeds United - 52
Birmingham City - 49
Bolton Wanderers - 45
Aston Villa - 31
West Ham United - 30
Manchester City - 29
Cardiff City - 27
Southampton - 26
Tottenham Hotspur - 25
Liverpool - 25
Burnley - 25
Portsmouth - 24
Leicester City - 24
Newcastle United - 23
Chelsea - 23
Millwall - 21
Manchester United - 21

Liverpool and Spurs eye Phillips

Media reports from the Mirrior have suggested that Liverpool and Spurs will battle it out next Summer for Kalvin Phillips. Phillips came close to leaving last Summer, admitting that his head was turned by Villa's interest in him. Fortunately, after speaking to Victor Orta, the 24yo signed a new five-year contract, tying himself to the club until 2024.

It's believed that Phillips earns £30,000 a week under his new contract, though both Spurs and Liverpool could double or even triple that. Is 50m what England midfielders go for these days?

Team News

Bielsa will give skipper Liam Cooper a late fitness test ahead of tonight's game against Wolves. With Diego Llorente sidelined, Bielsa will be hoping that Cooper has overcome his groin injury he picked up on International duty with Scotland. Leeds will take no chances. If there is any doubt over his fitness, Cooper will be given a few days' extra rest ahead of a trip to Aston Villa on Friday night. Pascal Struijk stands by.

Jack Harrison should return to the starting line up having been ineligible to face his parent club Manchester City. Rodrigo is expected in the starting lineup following his impressive display against Citeh.

Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 19th October) Leeds top table for football-related arrests for last season

Post by Ratscoot »

Morning EB et all

Its such a shame that our magnificent season gets spoilt by a few idiots but as a percentage of our actual fans I suspect this would be very low compared to others such as Brum , Bolton etc...

I know we shouldn't but I love the second picture of the fans celebrating and top award to the fan trying to keep the 2 meter social distance by risking his life and climbing up the lamp post to get away from the infected :lol:

Big game tonight need draw at least getting nervous already :shock:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 19th October) Leeds top table for football-related arrests for last season

Post by mothbanquet »

Leeds were champions. Champions means more cause for fans to celebrate. More cause to celebrate means more drunken idiots. This means nothing.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

There may be a correlation between having something celebrate and the number of arrests made and we certainly had more to celebrate than all on that list but Liverpool last year - not an excuse but a possible reason.

DMF is a critical and pivotal position in today’s game (always was), if you get that right then you are well on the way to creating a good team. I hope against hope that we will not be tempted to sell but if we do I’d be looking at more than £50m if Harry Maguire is worth £80m!

I think Struijk, if required, will not let the side down and a win would see us up to 3rd place - an excellent start to the season.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Its finally here. Monday night football is like having the last dentist appointment of the week.

The Bolton number is really high considering where they are. Bolton's arrest would be angry arrests where i'm sure most Leeds arrest will be elation based jubilation, just not the violent disorder ones. :| When fans get arrested outside the ground they could they could be from anywhere really?

If Liverpool are coming in for Phillips on triple money there's only one winner there. Although Liverpool have an embarrassment of riches in that department so i can't see it.

I think Struijk will come in for Coops and i thought he did well against Liverpool so hopefully all good there.

Come on the boys.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

mothbanquet wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:32 am Leeds were champions. Champions means more cause for fans to celebrate. More cause to celebrate means more drunken idiots. This means nothing.
1000's of Leeds fans are drunk as a skunk at most games particularly away matches

I'm not surprised with those figures one bit mate
1964white

Post by 1964white »

If we win tonight we go 3rd in the table :scar1

Draw - 8th

We drop to 10th if we lose by more than one goal :(
1964white

Post by 1964white »

My hopes tonight

1. A Leeds victory
2. Clean sheet
3. No more injuries
1964white

Post by 1964white »

I could say Roberts not to start but that's being cruel
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

1964white wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:25 am I could say Roberts not to start but that's being cruel
I'm perfectly fine with him tiring out the opposition in preparation for Pablo or Rodders. Might even contribute, you never know.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Struijk was the better of the two CB's against Liverpool so I have no worries about him playing tonight.
His best position is DMF though in my opinion.
A ready made replacement or Kalvin if he does leave.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

1964white wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:24 am My hopes tonight

1. A Leeds victory
2. Clean sheet
3. No more injuries
:tup: .. nice treble there mate ....
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mothbanquet wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:26 am I'm perfectly fine with him tiring out the opposition in preparation for Pablo or Rodders. Might even contribute, you never know.
With a goal or at least an assist possibly?
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

1964white wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:29 am With a goal or at least an assist possibly?
Or a successful dribble. Miracles can happen.

I love you really Ty ;-)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Rodrigo has to start over Roberts, he's just better atm though that's not criticism of Roberts. who's a striker for me learning to play the ten in MB's system

Harrison for Alio.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning Folks,

Leeds fans sold out their away ticket allocation pretty much every time last season and we know that many more have travelled ticketless as well. I wonder how many arrests were away games when tensions can run high.

That said we did see coin throwing in at least one home game. And I did see Huddersfield fans being attacked as they were leaving Elland Road last March.

The irony of course is you put the same people together in a Rugby League stadium and they are all mates...

Anyhow, Tonight.
Rodrigo to start, hope Raphina features at some point too.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:06 am Morning Folks,

Leeds fans sold out their away ticket allocation pretty much every time last season and we know that many more have travelled ticketless as well. I wonder how many arrests were away games when tensions can run high.

That said we did see coin throwing in at least one home game. And I did see Huddersfield fans being attacked as they were leaving Elland Road last March.

The irony of course is you put the same people together in a Rugby League stadium and they are all mates...

Anyhow, Tonight.
Rodrigo to start, hope Raphina features at some point too.
Definitely Ian, football fans are a different breed to rugby fans

It seems to be a herd mentality with football fans.....strange but true!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mothbanquet wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:35 am Or a successful dribble. Miracles can happen.

I love you really Ty ;-)
That home game v the baggies seems a long time ago when Tyler was inspirational

Roberts two other excellent performances were when he played up top v Preston (h) & Hull (a)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mothbanquet wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:35 am Or a successful dribble. Miracles can happen.

I love you really Ty ;-)
We must get at Wolves from the start, not giving them the first 45 minutes of the game to settle!
gessa

Post by gessa »

The top 2 in that league clashed at ER last season and there were a good number of arrests on both sides, take that game out and we're mid table.
Numbers are lower than i thought they would be all round tbh, remember when it was 150 plus for us most seasons.

A draw tonight wouldn't be the end of the world but I feel we can win this, as Ian said yesterday, the next 3 opponents will probably give us a clearer picture of what we can achieve this season.