Pay per View

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Peter in Blackpool
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Pay per View

Post by Peter in Blackpool »

Seems this is getting a lot of people annoyed.

I really do not see why.

These games are extra games that unless you were prepared to break the law would not be available at all.

Now you have the option to watch the match or not

I remember back in Revie's day only the fa cup final and european cup finals were live on tv. This year I have seen 5 Leeds games live on tv, more than i saw in the entire revie reign....if you dont wanna watch your team, then dont pay, but dont moan about it, ppv or not you would not be able to watch the games.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Pay per View

Post by Cjay »

I think the timing is one reason.

Middle of a global pandemic, people losing jobs, lives, loved ones etc.

They need something to cheer them up, something to look forward to or concentrate on other than Covid.

These arent normal times so cant compare it to normal times imo.

£5? Absolutely fair.

£15? Taking the piss.

The fact it seems to be our own clubs who decided this makes it worse.

Incidentally Burnley fans raised £1000s for food banks apparently, totally rejected the PPV stuff and sent the cash to food banks instead.

Sky are refusing to give viewing figures for the PPV games which tells you everything, if it had been high they would be shouting it from the roof.

I hope our fans reject it on mass to (the Villa game is on foreign telly so streams will be available).

Hopefully Villa fans do to.
gessa
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by gessa »

Cjay wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:10 pm I think the timing is one reason.

They need something to cheer them up, something to look forward to or concentrate on other than Covid.

£5? Absolutely fair.

£15? Taking the piss.

Incidentally Burnley fans raised £1000s for food banks apparently, totally rejected the PPV stuff and sent the cash to food banks instead.

Sky are refusing to give viewing figures for the PPV games which tells you everything, if it had been high they would be shouting it from the roof.

I hope our fans reject it on mass to (the Villa game is on foreign telly so streams will be available).

:tup:

Newcastle fans raised £10k too, fair play to them
There are non more easily offended, than those that want to be.
Smudge3920
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Smudge3920 »

Seems totally unfair... PPV for all sports as become a money grabber... I guess I am very fortunate , I pay 75 quid (approx) a year, I get all prem games live (slight time delay at times) many championship games to pick from. All Seris A games. all MLS all live ...and today the Champions league starts, and yes get all those games live to...and when KO collides with 2 or 3 games have them to watch later.
Side before self & MOT
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Peter in Blackpool wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:32 pm Seems this is getting a lot of people annoyed.

I really do not see why.

These games are extra games that unless you were prepared to break the law would not be available at all.

I remember back in Revie's day only the fa cup final and european cup finals were live on tv. This year I have seen 5 Leeds games live on tv, more than i saw in the entire revie reign....if you dont wanna watch your team, then dont pay, but dont moan about it, ppv or not you would not be able to watch the games.
I've already lash out £100's on my season-ticket back in February

Why should I pay twice?

Paying £15 more to view Leeds from your armchair, not even live football which I miss thoroughly

I have also spent god knows how much following Leeds home & away for 57 years, probably enough to purchase a small property

Get your head round that Peter & tell me by paying extra I'm getting a fair deal :roll:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Btw I won't be paying a penny to Sky making them richer & having a larger stranglehold screening sport on TV
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:10 pm I think the timing is one reason.

£5? Absolutely fair.

£15? Taking the piss.

No £5 is not fair, you already a pay a subscription to this greedy company for their sports service
Smudge3920
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Smudge3920 »

Here are screen shots of today's schedule on DAZN, I cannot say enough about this group...amazing selection ...
SC1.jpg
SC2.jpg
SC3.jpg
Side before self & MOT
Peter in Blackpool
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

1964white wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:31 pm I've already lash out £100's on my season-ticket back in February

Why should I pay twice?

Paying £15 more to view Leeds from your armchair, not even live football which I miss thoroughly

I have also spent god knows how much following Leeds home & away for 57 years, probably enough to purchase a small property

Get your head round that Peter & tell me by paying extra I'm getting a fair deal :roll:
you dont seem to get it do you?

if it were not for ppv the Villa game would not been shown. If you really do not want to pay 15 quid to watch our beloved players, thats your choice, go to the cinema and spend your 15 quid on a film instead, or double it and watch 2 blokes fighting in vegas or someplace.

Of course i would rather pay 45 quid and be at the game.....but this is surely the next best thing?

I too miss going to ER, but because of ppv i can now watch every leeds game live and i am thankful for the efforts of the media for that

season tickets are a different issue altogether and i guess if you cannot get to ER these should be refunded.
danhirons
First Team
First Team

Post by danhirons »

Peter in Blackpool wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:36 pm you dont seem to get it do you?

if it were not for ppv the Villa game would not been shown. If you really do not want to pay 15 quid to watch our beloved players, thats your choice, go to the cinema and spend your 15 quid on a film instead, or double it and watch 2 blokes fighting in vegas or someplace.

Of course i would rather pay 45 quid and be at the game.....but this is surely the next best thing?

I too miss going to ER, but because of ppv i can now watch every leeds game live and i am thankful for the efforts of the media for that

season tickets are a different issue altogether and i guess if you cannot get to ER these should be refunded.
football is a working class game

you might be able to afford 15 quid a pop, but a lot of people can't/would struggle - why should ultra rich football clubs be preventing hard working class fans from being able to watch their team especially during such hard times

15 quid a game is outrageously high
Irish Ian

Post by Irish Ian »

Peter in Blackpool wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:36 pm you dont seem to get it do you?

I have already signed up for a digital package. Before PPV thise providers would have selected certain games to show. The selection is generally 6 weeks ahead of time.

Now with PPV what is to stop Sky etc to select money spinning games for that platform and put the dross on the regular service?

Nothing
'We can wait for the next game with serenity'

'I am quite clear in my mind that one has to feel sincere love for those he leads, and if he doesn't feel it naturally, then he must learn how to feel it' Marcelo Bielsa

'Would he kill his granny to win a match?' Bobby Collins
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Peter in Blackpool wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:36 pm Season tickets are a different issue altogether and i guess if you cannot get to ER these should be refunded.
Between them Sky or BT are showing all the prem games this season so if you subscribed to both TV companies you would be in the position to watch all the games, Villa v Leeds game was originally scheduled for Saturday or Sunday however was brought forward to Friday night PPV reasons

TV companies/PL teams shouldn't expect season-ticket holders to pay twice, they can't have it both ways, it's either one or the other

I really hope Leeds & football fans boycott this money-making idea which is designed for people who can afford it & have no interest in attending games generally
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Irish Ian wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:15 pm I have already signed up for a digital package. Before PPV thise providers would have selected certain games to show. The selection is generally 6 weeks ahead of time.

Now with PPV what is to stop Sky etc to select money spinning games for that platform and put the dross on the regular service?

Nothing
The only thing that will stop them is if PPV numbers are low and people boycott this ridiculous PPV. I agree with everyone on here who thinks £15 is an outrageous price to pay on top of a Sky and or BT subscription.....( I have both by the way and will not be handing over any more cash!)
Bally
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Bally »

What I don't get is that a lot of you have bought season tickets so whilst you can't go to games surely the club itself should be paying for all season ticket holders to have the homes games for free
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Bally wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:34 pm What I don't get is that a lot of you have bought season tickets so whilst you can't go to games surely the club itself should be paying for all season ticket holders to have the homes games for free
I don't think the clubs have the necessary powers to oppose Sky Bally, it was a totally different ball game when we were in the championship.

I'll be disappointed with my fellow season-ticket holder friends if they go along with this PPV deal as we've all witnessed how vocal Leeds fans are against Sky TV with the constant chant of Sky TV is f...... s... over the last umpteenth years
Peter in Blackpool
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

if you do not like bt sports, dont buy it

if you do not like sky sports dont buy it

if you dont like ppv dont buy it

i subscribe to sky sports for its cricket, f1 and football, they are contracted to provide a certain number of pl matches per season, which they deliver as part of the service.....then if you want more you pay extra for it. Its a bit like paying for a buffet meal then complaining cos you are charged extra for your whisky.....if you dont want to pay then dont, but dont expect these extra services for free.
Peter in Blackpool
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Irish Ian wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:15 pm I have already signed up for a digital package. Before PPV thise providers would have selected certain games to show. The selection is generally 6 weeks ahead of time.

Nothing
nothing i guess. but there is no evidence that they are doing this
Peter in Blackpool
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

danhirons wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:14 pm football is a working class game

you might be able to afford 15 quid a pop, but a lot of people can't/would struggle - why should ultra rich football clubs be preventing hard working class fans from being able to watch their team especially during such hard times

15 quid a game is outrageously high
ah right, good point....maybe we should be lobbying teams to reduce ticket prices to a fiver after the pandemic......after all its a working class game and a lot of fans wont be able to afford £15 let alone £45.....why should ultra rich football clubs be preventing hard working fans from going to the match especially during such hard times.

remember at the end of the day football is an entertainment BUSINESS
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

Peter in Blackpool wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:32 pm Seems this is getting a lot of people annoyed.

I really do not see why.

You can’t compare the Revie era to today regarding televised games as there wasn’t the technology or demand for it.
You’re saying people shouldn’t moan and they don’t get it and missing the point. The point in my opinion is greed by the broadcasters. They already receive millions in revenue from subscriptions and are clearly prepared to take advantage of a pandemic knowing full well that nobody can go to the game and charge £15 as PPV. As has been said, many are losing jobs, having pay cuts and generally struggling so this is a very poor decision which I hope the vast majority of supporters boycott because if not PPV could become the norm.
Irish Ian

Post by Irish Ian »

Peter in Blackpool wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:03 am nothing i guess. but there is no evidence that they are doing this
So if they did would you see it as rip off?
'We can wait for the next game with serenity'

'I am quite clear in my mind that one has to feel sincere love for those he leads, and if he doesn't feel it naturally, then he must learn how to feel it' Marcelo Bielsa

'Would he kill his granny to win a match?' Bobby Collins